M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

I was all set to order an ML350, then I test drove a Cayenne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 04:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2023 GLE 53
Just a quick note on my ML experience. I don't have any Porsche experience, but am on my 3rd ML. This one, a 2013 ML 550 is the best of the bunch. I've always had the V8 models since my wife has a lead foot, and she too is pleased with the power and refinement over previous models. It is a quick straightline SUV. I do recommend the leather seats option for an improved feel on both back and under your thighs. I also now have the steel suspension as well, replacing my old Airmatic and she likes it. Not as stiff or truck like, but smooth and easy handling. Still it's not a Porsche, and you'll have to decide where you'll want to compromise.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 Porsche Cayenne
I've had my ML 350 diesel for 5 months and I have no regrets about getting rid of my Porsche Cayenne 2010. Yes it was a gorgeous Macadamia - a rich golden chestnut and I have never had so many compliments on a car's color before.

It was much sportier- but only in sport mode and then it sucked gas like it was air. The seats were fine for me but the other guys in the family who were taller and heftier did not like them. Of course they wish the ML had the fantastic seats of a BMW X5 and so do I.

The Porsche ride was also rougher, you felt the road more which some people consider a plus. However at low speeds you also felt every little bump and seam in the pavement. This is much less noticeable in the ML. We also had a Corvette and it was more comfortable.

There's also a philosophical difference between Mercedes and Porsche. It seemed as if the Porsche technicians were forever consulting with the Porsche corporate engineers. It was as if they weren't trusted enough to make their own decisions. And I found the corporate engineers to be royal pains. My Cayenne had a serious AC problem. The car never got cold.

Even the Porsche service writer sat in the car with a meat thermometer in the AC vent and agreed it wasn't working properly. He said if they couldn't fix it in the shop he'd replace the entire AC unit with a automatic dual zone one. But they stalled until cooler temperatures arrived and then we couldn't do anything until the next summer. Then they called in the Porsche engineers who said it was "working as designed" - and wouldn't allow my dealer to replace the AC unit.

Porsche corporate is a strange beast and not easy to deal with. Even my dealership complained about the ridiculous hoops Porsche made them jump through. My dealer serviced Porsche, VW and Audi in the same shop. Porsche made them paint the bays different colors and they weren't allowed to ever put a VW or Audi in a Porsche bay.

That's when we decided to get rid of it when the lease was up. And one of the big factors was that you're paying an exorbitant amount of money for that rearing stallion on the hood. There's no justification for it - the car is not worth that money.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Originally Posted by Finnegan
I've had my ML 350 diesel for 5 months and I have no regrets about getting rid of my Porsche Cayenne 2010. Yes it was a gorgeous Macadamia - a rich golden chestnut and I have never had so many compliments on a car's color before.

It was much sportier- but only in sport mode and then it sucked gas like it was air. The seats were fine for me but the other guys in the family who were taller and heftier did not like them. Of course they wish the ML had the fantastic seats of a BMW X5 and so do I.

The Porsche ride was also rougher, you felt the road more which some people consider a plus. However at low speeds you also felt every little bump and seam in the pavement. This is much less noticeable in the ML. We also had a Corvette and it was more comfortable.

There's also a philosophical difference between Mercedes and Porsche. It seemed as if the Porsche technicians were forever consulting with the Porsche corporate engineers. It was as if they weren't trusted enough to make their own decisions. And I found the corporate engineers to be royal pains. My Cayenne had a serious AC problem. The car never got cold.

Even the Porsche service writer sat in the car with a meat thermometer in the AC vent and agreed it wasn't working properly. He said if they couldn't fix it in the shop he'd replace the entire AC unit with a automatic dual zone one. But they stalled until cooler temperatures arrived and then we couldn't do anything until the next summer. Then they called in the Porsche engineers who said it was "working as designed" - and wouldn't allow my dealer to replace the AC unit.

Porsche corporate is a strange beast and not easy to deal with. Even my dealership complained about the ridiculous hoops Porsche made them jump through. My dealer serviced Porsche, VW and Audi in the same shop. Porsche made them paint the bays different colors and they weren't allowed to ever put a VW or Audi in a Porsche bay.

That's when we decided to get rid of it when the lease was up. And one of the big factors was that you're paying an exorbitant amount of money for that rearing stallion on the hood. There's no justification for it - the car is not worth that money.
porsche nickel and dimes you for every single option, a $70,000 cayenne S can cost as much as $150,000 fully loaded, Mercedes aint cheap but at least I know I get a fully loaded vehicle for 20-30k not an $80,000 to get a fully loaded vehicle, not to mention you would be lucky to get $10,000 of the $80,000 back in resale value. At the end of the day its a great car but I like my cars with all the bells and whistles and Porsche is just not economically feasible no matter what your budget is, I know people that make 700k a year and even they look elsewhere now.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:52 AM

12' S350 blutec, 13'ML550, 2011 ml350, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
DONT DO It. I had a VW toureag TDI which is nearly the same truck, I was going to upgrade that for the Cayenne Diesel but I found the ride quality, fit and finish of the ML to be a lot better and for the money you can't go wrong with the benz. The Merc's diesel is a much better motor IMHO. I have the s350 and the ML550 and love them both!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 350 Bluetec
Car & Driver comparo of Diesel SUVs

Check out the June 2013 issue of CAR and DRIVER magazine .
It has a comparison review of 5 Diesel SUVs including these two.
I just replaced my 2010 ML 350 BTC and considered the Cayenne in the process. Didn't see the value, frankly.
BTW, the W166 BTC has some important improvements (for me) over its predecessor: much reduced turbo lag, quieter engine and interior and NO run-flat tires!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 AM

ML320
Thanks for the continued replies. I will read the review.