M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

New member with some questions, ML 550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W164 ML 500
New member with some questions, ML 550

Hello all. I currently drive a W 164 ML 500 and I plan to buy a ML 550 to keep it company. I have some questions that I would like to ask. I apologize in advance if these topics have been covered before.

1. How is the transmission? Is it programmed to rev-match on downshifts? The engine is a huge selling point for this car, but I hope that it will not be let down by the transmission. My last car was a manual, so quick shifts, equally quick manual input responses, rev-matched downshifts are a very important part of the driving experience to me. I feel as if Audi and BMW automatic transmissions are light years ahead of the Mercedes 7-speed (except for the ones in the AMGs of course). I realize that the easiest way to answer my own question would be to go test drive one, but not a single dealer by me has one available.

2. What kind of real life gas mileage do people typically get? If I were to assume, it would be less than whatever Mercedes says the car can do.

3. Is there software out there that will improve performance for this car without voiding the warranty?

Any other input regarding this car is appreciated.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1st please understand the W166 ML550 is lightyears - meaning light years - beyond your ML500 - actually the ML350 has the hp of the ML500 - if you haven't driven the twin tubo 550 engine yet - any new MB 550 model like E550 will do - you will be amazed.

The transmission is the upgraded 7G Plus - and you can test that transmission with any new gen ML or GL for yourself.. the MB system is designed for power/passing downshifts ... hold left paddle for 2.5 secinds ... and in the 7G+ you are best served looking at the tach or it is so smooth you won't even know..

You might be better served in understanding the design intention of the 7G+, because frankly the Audi and BMW trannies in comparison are blow-up-monsters.. go look at the service log in any Audi or BMW service shop.. especially for those Audi/BMW owners who think paddles mean "manual shift"..