M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Here's an odd one

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2013 | 07:44 PM

'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
Here's an odd one

On Thursday, in the rain that never seems to end here in the Mid-Atlantic, had a major failure of the wipers.
My wife's '13 ML350, about 8 months old & 15,000 miles.
Wipers came on & the right hand side went into a bizarre chaos type action. She drove on home (in the rain) with the right side continuing to flop all over creation.

When I came home from work, a quick inspection showed the main right arm had disconnected from a short secondary arm that apparently shortens the stroke. The blade itself had worked it's way several inches off center of the arm.

Took to the dealer Friday am. Diagnosis: The snap ring retaining the secondary arm failed, causing the disconnect. Bearing was either shot and/or now missing. They have ordered a complete wiper arm assembly, due in Monday. Apparently the bearing is not available as an individual part. I'm happy to have the whole unit replaced.

Shocking to me to have such a major failure of such a basic system on a $60K car.
Oh well.
Meanwhile I'm driving a GLK350. Not a bad little UTV, but certainly a much lesser machine than it's bigger cousins.
Old 07-14-2013 | 03:45 PM

14' Audi SQ5 05' Jag x-type 09' Ducati848 05' Jeep 06' Ford F150
I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't matter what you spend on something. If it has moving parts or electronics, something will go wrong at some point. Price is honestly irrelevant.