M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

MY 2014 Configurator Is Up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The Emerald Cruiser - my 2024 GLE 350
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
Not a good approach to getting a car. Order one with exactly the options you want. It takes about 3 months
Well, my wife and I have been pretty "lucky" in that regard, ever since we started buying new cars back in 1994. We have purchased two Acura Integras and are on our second Lexus RX 350. The Acura "salesmen", at our sole Acura dealership here in Honolulu, employed high-pressure sales tactics, but we were able to establish a good price (for us) and escape the dealership with a car costing a bit more. In other words, they really wanted to sell a car, but as we bought one on the lot, lucked into a car with a better set of packages and options than our price really afforded.

Although the sales force, once again at our sole Lexus dealership here in Honolulu, work with the customers much better than at the Acura dealership, we still lucked into a vehicle with much better packages/options than our price could buy. Of course, when we bought our second RX 350, we were treated very nicely, as we were return customers.

The main difference I have with most of you on this forum is that Honolulu has only one dealer for Lexus, Acura, BMW, Jaguar, and Mercedes. There is a second Mercedes dealership, on the island of Maui, but it's owned by the same group as the one here on Oahu. Additionally, the Lexus dealership, and most likely the Acura dealership, has a special arrangement with the parent corporation in Japan. This results in only certain packages and options being made available to us here in Hawaii. Thankfully, Mercedes does NOT practice this rather egregious behavior, so I can still get the same packages and options as can be had in the US mainland.

The one thing I really don't understand is the makeup of some of the packages. Almost everyone will get the Premium 1 package, but I have more music on my iPhone than is given on the hard drive for that package. XM radio is unavailable in Hawaii, as we don't have the constellation to receive the satellite radio signals here, so being forced to purchase XM and the associated XM traffic is a big no go. I understand that Hawaii is a tiny market for Mercedes, but I still don't like being forced to buy services I will never be able to use or just flat out will not use.

I would like to see, first, what comes "stock" on the MY2014 ML 350s when they get here to Hawaii. All I really want is the lighting package, the premium 1 package, the lane tracking package (if for nothing else, to get the blind spot assistant), and the keyless-go option, which I understand can be added by the dealer. Nice things to have, if the financing all works out, would be leather seating, ventilated multi-contour seats, and the pano moon roof. These are not deal breakers, but would be very nice to have.

I can wait for three months to have a custom-built ML, but my wife is the impatient one. As I've said, we've been very lucky in the past with getting more than what we wanted when simply picking a vehicle off the lot. I'll wait and see what we get here locally before I decide whether or not to order one.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by bud.jones
Well, my wife and I have been pretty "lucky" in that regard, ever since we started buying new cars back in 1994. We have purchased two Acura Integras and are on our second Lexus RX 350. The Acura "salesmen", at our sole Acura dealership here in Honolulu, employed high-pressure sales tactics, but we were able to establish a good price (for us) and escape the dealership with a car costing a bit more. In other words, they really wanted to sell a car, but as we bought one on the lot, lucked into a car with a better set of packages and options than our price really afforded.

Although the sales force, once again at our sole Lexus dealership here in Honolulu, work with the customers much better than at the Acura dealership, we still lucked into a vehicle with much better packages/options than our price could buy. Of course, when we bought our second RX 350, we were treated very nicely, as we were return customers.

The main difference I have with most of you on this forum is that Honolulu has only one dealer for Lexus, Acura, BMW, Jaguar, and Mercedes. There is a second Mercedes dealership, on the island of Maui, but it's owned by the same group as the one here on Oahu. Additionally, the Lexus dealership, and most likely the Acura dealership, has a special arrangement with the parent corporation in Japan. This results in only certain packages and options being made available to us here in Hawaii. Thankfully, Mercedes does NOT practice this rather egregious behavior, so I can still get the same packages and options as can be had in the US mainland.

The one thing I really don't understand is the makeup of some of the packages. Almost everyone will get the Premium 1 package, but I have more music on my iPhone than is given on the hard drive for that package. XM radio is unavailable in Hawaii, as we don't have the constellation to receive the satellite radio signals here, so being forced to purchase XM and the associated XM traffic is a big no go. I understand that Hawaii is a tiny market for Mercedes, but I still don't like being forced to buy services I will never be able to use or just flat out will not use.

I would like to see, first, what comes "stock" on the MY2014 ML 350s when they get here to Hawaii. All I really want is the lighting package, the premium 1 package, the lane tracking package (if for nothing else, to get the blind spot assistant), and the keyless-go option, which I understand can be added by the dealer. Nice things to have, if the financing all works out, would be leather seating, ventilated multi-contour seats, and the pano moon roof. These are not deal breakers, but would be very nice to have.

I can wait for three months to have a custom-built ML, but my wife is the impatient one. As I've said, we've been very lucky in the past with getting more than what we wanted when simply picking a vehicle off the lot. I'll wait and see what we get here locally before I decide whether or not to order one.
I don't believe Keyless-go can be added by dealer. Even if they can, you don't want them to install anything since they will not do as good a job as the factory. It will be so much more expensive too.

Regarding the custom build vs. on the lot, custom build normally win out because as you stated, you don't need to buy a bunch of stuff that is totally unnecessary to your need. It normally can be as much as $3-5K. Since you are getting a 2014 in 2013, the discount even off the lot may not be much anyway. There may be a ML is not yet being assigned to dealer while being build today match exactly what you want. Your dealer may able to get that for you in the time frame that you like. You will end up paying much less with better options than getting a car from the lot.

My point is figure out exact options that you like and tell the dealer to find you one. You may pay more above invoice but will end up cheaper with a best fitted car. My 0.02.

Last edited by supernsx; 07-30-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:05 PM

This is what I would order, were I not to find something similar to this on the lot here. I would also add pre-paid maintenance, but as I'm not used to all of the bells and whistles, this would be a great vehicle as is. I don't need 4MATIC, as I don't go off road, but could add the pano sunroof - that is actually very nice.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MY2014 ML 350.pdf (1.04 MB, 278 views)
Old 07-30-2013, 04:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
This is what I would order, were I not to find something similar to this on the lot here. I would also add pre-paid maintenance, but as I'm not used to all of the bells and whistles, this would be a great vehicle as is. I don't need 4MATIC, as I don't go off road, but could add the pano sunroof - that is actually very nice.
Looks great. Make sure you test drive a 4MATIC vs. Non-4MATIC. They handle kind of different and I prefer the 4Matic a lot more. Only thing I will not get on your list is parking assist since I don't need the car to help me park. = )

I think the red will look good on the AMG sport + 1 too.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by supernsx
Looks great. Make sure you test drive a 4MATIC vs. Non-4MATIC. They handle kind of different and I prefer the 4Matic a lot more. Only thing I will not get on your list is parking assist since I don't need the car to help me park. = )

I think the red will look good on the AMG sport + 1 too.
Thanks for the thought on 4MATIC vs. "regular". I'll be doing the test drive within the next few months anyway, so I'll just have to test drive both.

As for the parking assist, that was added when I added the premium 1 package. The configurator will now allow the two to be separated. I also don't have to parallel park very often.

I really like the Cinnabar Red, but also the Lunar Blue. I've had silver-colored cars since 1998, so it's high time to get a different color. I also agree on the AMG Sport +1 I've attached another pdf showing that build.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MY2014 ML 350 II.pdf (1.27 MB, 233 views)
Old 07-30-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by supernsx
I don't believe Keyless-go can be added by dealer. Even if they can, you don't want them to install anything since they will not do as good a job as the factory. It will be so much more expensive too.
I did some more checking and you are correct. While the dealer can install the keyless-go system, the cost will still be substantially more than on a custom order, something on the order of $2,500-$3,000 just for parts. Tack on the labor and you will have spent a pretty penny on the project, as opposed to $850 for the option.

I would like to have it, but will not lose any sleep if I can not get it. I just wanted it because I'm getting a little lazy and don't want to dig in my pocket for the key
Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E450 Wagon, GLE350, S500
bud.jones - I've read your questions and comments on a couple of other topic posts and I'm not sure why you insist on getting a car off the lot especially since you're not going to pick one up until November or December. Maybe you think you can pick up cars cheaper off the lot or something? Over the years, I've bought several cars from Fletcher Jones both in HI and in Newport Beach. FJ sells a lot of cars for many good reasons. Whether you like them or not, they are a big MB player and you have no other choice in HI. Maybe you are just still "shopping?" If you go see the inventory manager, they can tell you exactly what's coming in AND if there isn't an exact match, they can change the configuration of one that is incoming with a click of a mouse. Unless you want something really strange, you should be able to get a fair price out of FJ too. If you know what you want to buy, then there is no reason to chance it by getting one off the lot. It also makes no sense to me whatsoever that you would consider adding a feature like keyless go after taking delivery. Isn't the point to get a car exactly the way you want?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
custom ordering can be walked away from too. just put a deposit down, get exactly what you want, and if the dealer agrees (which they should) you can walk away if the numbers aren't right from the custom order and get one off the lot. you will save on options that you don't want.
here at my dealer in So Cal, the ML were ordered by the dealer poorly and with hardly any good options. don't take a chance on being stuck with poor options.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:58 PM

jnejah, thanks for the tip on the inventory manager and their ability to modify an order prior to shipment. I have never taken advantage of that particular manager at the other dealerships from which I have purchased cars before.

As for "on the lot", that's simply because we won't be able to make the purchase until the end of the year, and my wife wants the "instant gratification" of simply picking one off the lot and driving it home. The ML 350s on the lot are nothing to sneeze at, although a little compromise may be inevitable.

I have nothing against the Mercedes dealership here, although my wife is under the impression that a better deal can be had if the vehicle is picked from the local inventory. I think you'll get the same deal whether the car is special-ordered or simply picked from the lot. The MY2013 vehicles are rather well-equipped and I would assume that the MY2014 ML 350s will be similarly equipped, once they get here.

There is something to be said for getting exactly what you want in a vehicle. After all, aside from your house, your vehicle is the most expensive item you will likely purchase. There are most definitely pros and cons for either buying decision, and each person's situation is unique. I still don't know how this will play out, but I do know what I'd like to purchase.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
jnejah, thanks for the tip on the inventory manager and their ability to modify an order prior to shipment. I have never taken advantage of that particular manager at the other dealerships from which I have purchased cars before.

As for "on the lot", that's simply because we won't be able to make the purchase until the end of the year, and my wife wants the "instant gratification" of simply picking one off the lot and driving it home. The ML 350s on the lot are nothing to sneeze at, although a little compromise may be inevitable.

I have nothing against the Mercedes dealership here, although my wife is under the impression that a better deal can be had if the vehicle is picked from the local inventory. I think you'll get the same deal whether the car is special-ordered or simply picked from the lot. The MY2013 vehicles are rather well-equipped and I would assume that the MY2014 ML 350s will be similarly equipped, once they get here.

There is something to be said for getting exactly what you want in a vehicle. After all, aside from your house, your vehicle is the most expensive item you will likely purchase. There are most definitely pros and cons for either buying decision, and each person's situation is unique. I still don't know how this will play out, but I do know what I'd like to purchase.
There is no instant gratification if you're waiting till end of the year. Customize an order in October to be ready in December.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 PM

Yeah, but like I said, we won't be ready to make the purchase until then. Actually, my wife thinks I'm a little crazy for looking at everything now. I just want to research exactly what we'll be getting - she doesn't even want to discuss it until at least November

That's OK - she gets what she wants, so I won't discuss it with her until then. I'm pretty patient, but I still want to be able to make a well-informed decision, especially if any compromise is necessary.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350, CLK320, 2014 ML350
WOW, i didn't know the cars have hit the lots yet.. I wonder when they will upload the 2014 brochure...

I got my date for my 2014 ML350 which I ordered at the end of May. The production date is August 21st and since I live in Atlanta, I should have my car by the end of August if not the first couple of days in September..

I noticed that there are several options that are not showing up on the online configuator... I ordered SPLITVIEW, Soft-Close Doors (which I am very excited about), and 3 zone-climate control.

I ordered:
Polar White
designo Porcelain Leather
Anthracite Poplar Wood

P1
Lighting Package
Sport Package plus One
Driver's Assistance Package
Parking Assist Package
Heated Cup Holders
Multicontour seats
Panorama Sunroof
Harmon/Kardon
Running Board Lights
Ambient Lighting
KEYLESS GO
Heated/Active Ventilated Front Seats
SPLITVIEW
Soft Close Doors

I figured since I am planning on keeping car for a long time, I want to get it exactly the way I wanted it and it is so worth the 3 month wait.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350, CLK320, 2014 ML350
Also, I think there is several bugs they need to fix with the configurator because it won't let you select the ventilated seats and check the designo leather. It tells you that you must select the regular leather interior. Also, it wouldn't let me change the wood trim with the designo which I actually special ordered differently.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by LorelaisDad
Also, I think there is several bugs they need to fix with the configurator because it won't let you select the ventilated seats and check the designo leather. It tells you that you must select the regular leather interior. Also, it wouldn't let me change the wood trim with the designo which I actually special ordered differently.
I also have read that three Airmatic packages exist, one of which has the On/Off Road package rolled up into it. If the numbers work out, I'm actually planning on getting my wife to the dealership before we go on vacation, taking a test drive, then placing an order. That way, we can go on vacation then come back and pick up our new ML 350. Depending on how much lead time is required for a custom order, that may actually be the best route.

Still, I don't really need a whole lot, although I want everything On a more serious note, in the event that I were to consider either selling the ML or trading it in for a new model, somewhere down the road, the packages and options picked can alter the selling price, so I may actually end up getting 4MATIC after all. I'll have to do the test drive with both vehicles to see how differently they handle.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 GLB35, 2007 E350, 2014 ML350 4Matic, 2008 C350 Sport
2014 ML350 Different front end design with Sport Pkg & 4Matic Pkg

What's wrong with the ML350 build on the configurator?

When you combine the Sport Pkg & 4Matic Pkg together it changes the design of the front end near the LED daytime running lamps in the exterior photo. This does not happen with the BT or 2wd ML350.

Here’s a photo of what I’m talking about.
Attached Thumbnails MY 2014 Configurator Is Up-ml-front-sports-pkg-4matic-pkg.jpg  
Old 08-12-2013, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Oh Cool
What's wrong with the ML350 build on the configurator?

When you combine the Sport Pkg & 4Matic Pkg together it changes the design of the front end near the LED daytime running lamps in the exterior photo. This does not happen with the BT or 2wd ML350.
Well, if the NADA website is correct, the configurator is missing a whole slew of special order options. Of course, if their list is incorrect, well ....

That is one website I use to check dealer invoice versus MSRP.

One thing I would like on the mbusa.com configurator is to see the accessories also change the picture, such as adding the lights for the running boards, etc..., but you are correct in that the options will change the picture for the exterior and interior.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
GLS63 / GONE: '16 GL63 '15 S63 '14 E63 '13 ML550 '10 E63 '09 C63 '07 E63 '00 E55 '99 C43 '84 190E16V
The online configuration tool only shows the generally popular items. I ordered a 2013 ML550 with a lot more than you can see on MBUSA.com. There are more interior color options online this year than last year, but Airmatic, Night Vision, etc., are not shown in the configuration but are available.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:18 PM

One other really cool thing shown in the configurator is the 4MATIC branding on the rear of the vehicle. When looking at the exterior, both a side and rear view can be chosen. If 4MATIC is chose, you can see the branding on the rear. Likewise, if you don't choose 4MATIC, you won't see that branding. I just thought that was pretty cool.

I tried to configure MLs to match the price of the ones either en route or on the lot here, but can't seem to get it right on the money. Our local dealer does not specify the packages/options on any of the vehicles they have. I noticed that several dealers in my home state of Florida do list the packages, but when I bounced their configurations off the configurator, at least the dealership in Orlando was consistently around $2,040 below MSRP - and that was the sticker price from their website. Is MSRP, for identical configurations, really different at different dealers? It got me thinking that maybe I should buy from that dealer and have it shipped to Hawaii - shipping to here should be below $2,040