Notices
M-Class (W166) 2012, Read about the upcoming M-Class

Diesel Odor in Cabin?

 
Old 12-05-2013, 09:56 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Chasvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 85
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 Bluetec
Diesel Odor in Cabin?

I just bought a 2012 CPO ML350 Bluetec. I love it but it has a distinct diesel odor in the cabin. There is no smell from the exterior of the vehicle, and nothing leaking under engine on the ground. But when I get into the vehicle, I smell diesel. Is this characteristic of these diesels or not? This sort of fuel odor isn't something you'd ever experience with a gas engine unless there was some sort of leak of fuel or something.

Can anyone chime in on this from their experiences with the Bluetecs?
Chasvs is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 10:56 AM
  #2  
Newbie
 
MBduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
There is no diesel smell at all inside or outside our ML BlueTec.
MBduck is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 714
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Car free at the moment
I have seen the short exhaust flex pipe which bolts to the back of the turbocharger crack and leak exhaust on the OM642 engine. It caused diesel exhaust smell when the car was stopped, though it was OK while moving.

You can remove the big plastic engine cover - it just lifts off - and inspect for signs of black soot where the exhaust exits the turbocharger at the back of the "V" of the engine.

You could also have a small diesel fuel leak. Warm fuel and untreated exhaust smell a lot alike. The fuel filter can leak, the O-rings on the water sensor don't last forever.
Shadow5501 is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 11:17 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SW FL
Posts: 144
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLE 43 SUV
You shouldn't be smelling diesel fumes inside or outside. One possibility: someone spilled diesel fuel on the carpet. The stuff takes forever to evaporate and the odor lingers.
Shrdlu is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 AM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Chasvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 85
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 Bluetec
Thanks,

It's got to go in soon for some stuff anyway so I'll mention that to them and have them check it out. I figured this wasn't normal and you've confirmed that for me.
Chasvs is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 11:25 AM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 714
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Car free at the moment
Shrdlu makes a good point. It could be as simple as someone got diesel on their shoes while filling the ML, then tracked it into the cabin. For some reason the diesel pumps frequently seem to have a mess on the ground.

Does the cabin always smell of diesel, or only after you start the engine/drive the car a bit?
Shadow5501 is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 11:27 AM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Chasvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 85
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post
Shrdlu makes a good point. It could be as simple as someone got diesel on their shoes while filling the ML, then tracked it into the cabin. For some reason the diesel pumps frequently seem to have a mess on the ground.

Does the cabin always smell of diesel, or only after you start the engine/drive the car a bit?
I only notice it when I get in after it's sat for some time. While driving I don't smell it any longer probably because the A/C is running all the time here in Florida.
Chasvs is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 714
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Car free at the moment
Originally Posted by Chasvs View Post
I only notice it when I get in after it's sat for some time. While driving I don't smell it any longer probably because the A/C is running all the time here in Florida.
OK, that sounds more like you have diesel on the floor mats than any type of mechanical problem under the hood. Most likely it's the drivers floor mat. You can just take it out of the car and see if the problem goes away. If so, replace it or give it a good cleaning.

I suppose you could give the mat the sniff test, just don't make sure nobody sees you doing it.
Shadow5501 is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 05:04 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Chasvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 85
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 Bluetec
The car is new (used) CPO from a MB dealer. Believe it would have been thoroughly cleaned so I doubt it's that simple. It's in the dealers shop now for this and some options I paid for so we'll see what they have to say.

Last edited by Chasvs; 12-07-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Chasvs is offline  
Old 12-07-2013, 08:37 AM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Chasvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 85
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 Bluetec
Well the ML is back from the shop and they didn't find any signs of a fuel leak. They checked the engine bay and the the fuel filler pipe area and found nothing. They did a de-ionization treatment along with the interior protector treatment and it's smelling pretty good right now. The Protector had a rather strong smell but that's pretty much gone this morning. There's no fuel smell on the floor mat so that's all good, but I've ordered a new set of mats to make sure it stays fresh.
Chasvs is offline  
Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 PM
  #11  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ml320 cdi amg
diesel smell

Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post
I have seen the short exhaust flex pipe which bolts to the back of the turbocharger crack and leak exhaust on the OM642 engine. It caused diesel exhaust smell when the car was stopped, though it was OK while moving.

You can remove the big plastic engine cover - it just lifts off - and inspect for signs of black soot where the exhaust exits the turbocharger at the back of the "V" of the engine.

You could also have a small diesel fuel leak. Warm fuel and untreated exhaust smell a lot alike. The fuel filter can leak, the O-rings on the water sensor don't last forever.

I have the same issue and looked under the hood, i do have black soot near the back of the motor just below the windshield. How can I fix this? the odor is so strong and annoying.

david
vancitydsb is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diesel Odor in Cabin?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: