M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Great way to start the day (video)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Great way to start the day (video)

This is the kind s*&t I have to put up with...what's the odds meeting this dick on a bridge and why are they spraying gravel into oncoming vehicles..damage not yet accessed until I can wash Frank down...I'm scared of what I'll find...the audio from the video doesn't nearly show the extent of the gravel spray...it was actually like shrapnel..excuse explicits

Old 01-07-2014, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
so your SUV got hit with some rock salt?

You probably have a rock chip or two.

If this bothers you that much, you should likely not drive your car in such conditions.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
"you should likely not drive your car in such conditions"

Ya okay..I'll stop driving my vehicles in the winter..come on

And it wasn't rock salt but gravel...and what loser would continue spraying while meeting vehicles in such close proximity
Old 01-07-2014, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Nanook
"you should likely not drive your car in such conditions"

Ya okay..I'll stop driving my vehicles in the winter..come on

And it wasn't rock salt but gravel...and what loser would continue spraying while meeting vehicles in such close proximity
well, i'd take bigger issue with your municipality spreading gravel, but i digress.

the loser keeps spreading because bridges are likely to be slippery places.

if you are so concerned with the result of such an incident, get some clear bra. If you already have that then you should be fine.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have clear bra...and now a damaged windshield...and soon a claim into the City risk management..and I'm certain there are better times and procedures for dressing bridge decks.. just pisses me off people have no sense or care for the property of others..
Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
'16 Jaguar F-Type R, '21 GLE63s
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I just replaced my windshield a few weeks ago due to a rock that put a 4ft horizontal crack in it. Took about a week to get an OEM replacement windshield. Turns out there are no aftermarket windshields for our vehicles because there is a windshield heater built into the bottom of the glass and a large mounting bracket at the top where all the sensors/rear-view mirror mount.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks..finally some condolences ..j/k..

You're correct on the windshield..I already put one in at 4k kms...$550 and only available from dealer...that's what really p*ssed me off over this (so far..it's so messy here that I have not washed it to inspect body yet). It looks like there is a mark on the drivers headlight but it may hopefully just be in the 3m..
One tries to make it through the winter unscathed but in reality it's not really possible. And watching it go through the car wash tunnel is like taking your infant child for their first shots
Old 01-07-2014, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 450
You are not alone. Here in my neck of the woods small stones are spread on the highway. Never, in all the places I have lived on this planet have I received rock chips on my windshield as I have here. I have clearmask but of course it does nothing for the windshield.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When I had the windshield replaced they solicited a product to me that apparently "hardens" the glass...a liquid application of sorts...call me skeptical...I did not bite..it was $$$
Old 01-07-2014, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

At one time they used sand here but now they use chips..like crushed slate..very effective on the road but flies around and is kicked up by tires easily and rocker panels will take a beating for certain..
Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 MB ML63 AMG
That was brutal! And completely friggin ignorant of that city worker. I would imagine there could be a more appropriate time to spray the roadways than when people are traveling on them. At least you have video evidence if they try to say it wasn't them.

On a side note I was digging the jam playing in the background! I can't remember the last time I heard The Knack lol. Thanks for the flashback and so sorry your dealing with someones ignorance.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Chris..I'll have to look at the video closer but I think it was the type of sander that slides onto the chasis..box and spreader are all one piece..these type have a very high mounted spreader where they broadcast quite wide...so you take my speed 0f 40kms ..add the truck speed of 30 kms and the propeller speed and the projectile might hit at 100 kph ?...get say 50 or so rocks..dam
Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML63
Nanook,

Did you have a chance to evaluate the potential damages caused by careless gravel spreading? How has this story ended?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:17 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
You made several mistakes. The city may have made mistakes too but in the end they are doing their job like they are told to do whereas you have choices. The first mistake you made is living where there is snow. Who in their right mind would live where there is snow and cold? If it were up to me you could put everything north of the red river in Canada and Alberta itself? Well, that might as well be on the north pole.

But if you must live in snow country that does not mean you have to drive in it - your second mistake. I don't even drive my ML down here in Texas when it rains. I have a junker for that but you don't drive a Benz in bad weather. I've even heard of some people who take their Benz off pavement and do so on purpose. Can you imagine that? The car deserves better than that. Keep it in the garage under such conditions and you won't have these problems.

The city has no control over the weather conditions and have to do the job regardless and your driving schedule is none of their concern but you can exercise some control yourself. That you choose to ignore these conditions and drive in them is your fault. That you choose to live in the tundra is also your fault. Seems to me you have no one to blame but yourself.

Ps-before you get all wound up I of course want you to know I am kidding. I feel your pain and felt it myself a couple times when I lived in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York and got stuck behind plows and gravel trucks. I finally got out of there and what I'm not kidding about are the benefits of moving South!! My brother still lives in Rochester, NY and he said after this past winter he is joining me in Texas as he has had it up there! I told him fine but don't come down here in July or he will change his mind instantly!!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Terminator2029
Nanook,

Did you have a chance to evaluate the potential damages caused by careless gravel spreading? How has this story ended?
Not yet...still in a sh*t hole melt up here..maybe this weekend I can do detail...it is what it is I guess..thanks fer askin tho

Last edited by Nanook; 01-16-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by shortspark
You made several mistakes. The city may have made mistakes too but in the end they are doing their job like they are told to do whereas you have choices. The first mistake you made is living where there is snow. Who in their right mind would live where there is snow and cold? If it were up to me you could put everything north of the red river in Canada and Alberta itself? Well, that might as well be on the north pole.

But if you must live in snow country that does not mean you have to drive in it - your second mistake. I don't even drive my ML down here in Texas when it rains. I have a junker for that but you don't drive a Benz in bad weather. I've even heard of some people who take their Benz off pavement and do so on purpose. Can you imagine that? The car deserves better than that. Keep it in the garage under such conditions and you won't have these problems.

The city has no control over the weather conditions and have to do the job regardless and your driving schedule is none of their concern but you can exercise some control yourself. That you choose to ignore these conditions and drive in them is your fault. That you choose to live in the tundra is also your fault. Seems to me you have no one to blame but yourself.

Ps-before you get all wound up I of course want you to know I am kidding. I feel your pain and felt it myself a couple times when I lived in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York and got stuck behind plows and gravel trucks. I finally got out of there and what I'm not kidding about are the benefits of moving South!! My brother still lives in Rochester, NY and he said after this past winter he is joining me in Texas as he has had it up there! I told him fine but don't come down here in July or he will change his mind instantly!!
Jest accepted..it is painful tho but just money in the end