M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Shattered Glass Roof Panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 gle 350
Hi,

has these been addressed by mercedes. I have 2022 GLE 350 and have the same issue.

Originally Posted by kallain10
I bought a 2024 Mercedes Benz GLE350 and this JUST happened to me! I have not even had this car two months yet. I just made my first payment… only difference was that it was in my garage and completely untouched, and we came out to it being broken all the way around.

How has this still not been addressed or fixed?! my car is a 2024!

Spontaneously cracking windshield while my 2024 GLE350 sits in the garage…

Spontaneously exploding windshield panel on my 2024 GLE350 sat in the garage overnight…
Old 12-15-2023, 04:37 PM

2019 GLC350E
Cracked panel on GLc350e

Got the same issue now on my SUV. Cracked panel up the middle in a few place and spreading. Filed complaint with NHTSA as suggested by MBUSA customer service and and opened issue the MBUSA also. Did get quote for repair from local dealer (~1600 all in once you include their contracted glass work company) and no one from MB even hinting at the possibility of help from MB. There is a huge recall with that panel but seems to be specific for MB cars that had prior work on that panel where deviations from hot to correctly work on it happened. Regardless, there are obviously issues issues on older and even new MB autos related to this! I'm not sure if I'll replace it or not. I have a few body shop connections and they have suggested sealing the cracks/panel and then wrapping it. I've seen others mention getting it wrapped.

Anyone know whats "under" that panel. In one area, I've seen a comment that there was at least a plastic liner beneath it as the person with a big hole did not have water intrusion into the headliner. There is a lot of electronics in that area and none of us want to have rain/water to get in and cause even more damage. ANY MORE INSIGHTS on this??

Pic attached from with orientation noted since it was too from roof down toward to hood to capture the splintering. It doubled in size in one night.

2019 GLC350E
Old 12-15-2023, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Respectfully - if you can't afford a $1600 repair on a Mercedes, you should have bought a cheaper car.

And, there are some pretty deep scratches around the entire area that would suggest it didn't just happen spontaneously. Moreover, on the few cars where that panel did shatter on it's own due to an assembly defect, it actually shattered - with the large cracks running width-wise whereas yours has a single crack length-wise. That looks like it was hit on a garage-door opener or something similar.
Old 12-15-2023, 09:34 PM

2019 GLC350E
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Respectfully - if you can't afford a $1600 repair on a Mercedes, you should have bought a cheaper car.

And, there are some pretty deep scratches around the entire area that would suggest it didn't just happen spontaneously. Moreover, on the few cars where that panel did shatter on it's own due to an assembly defect, it actually shattered - with the large cracks running width-wise whereas yours has a single crack length-wise. That looks like it was hit on a garage-door opener or something similar.
Respectfully? lol. You are incorrect. Affordability is not a primary concern for me and it was spontaneous starting at the bottom then splitting and expanding over time to the top. Good-bye.
Old 12-15-2023, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,590 Likes on 2,053 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Respectfully - if you can't afford a $1600 repair on a Mercedes, you should have bought a cheaper car……………..
What a HORSESHxT thing to say! The cost is not the issue. The issue is MB & others putting these ridiculous glass roofs on their vehicles and then not standing behind them when they fail. MB & other makers who offer these glass roofs should have buyers sign a disclaimer at time of purchase, telling owners that they are on their own if the roofs fail. Instead, they sell us these vehicles and when there are problems, they turn their backs and tell us to claim the damage on our insurance. Mercedes-Benz: The Best or Nothing! Unfortunately, way too often these days, buyers of their vehicles get “NOTHING,” instead of the BEST. Glass roofs SUCK!
Old 12-15-2023, 10:40 PM

2019 GLC350E
Yep. Well said. Appreciate your comments.

Originally Posted by Streamliner
What a HORSESHxT thing to say! The cost is not the issue. The issue is MB & others putting these ridiculous glass roofs on their vehicles and then not standing behind them when they fail. MB & other makers who offer these glass roofs should have buyers sign a disclaimer at time of purchase, telling owners that they are on their own if the roofs fail. Instead, they sell us these vehicles and when there are problems, they turn their backs and tell us to claim the damage on our insurance. Mercedes-Benz: The Best or Nothing! Unfortunately, way too often these days, buyers of their vehicles get “NOTHING,” instead of the BEST. Glass roofs SUCK!
Old 12-16-2023, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
You do know that new vehicles come with a warranty, right? If a part fails during the warranty period, they will replace it... if it fails after, it's on you to fix it because it is due to wear and tear like everything else in life. Talk about horse*****...

Old 02-06-2024, 06:22 PM

GLS 450
I find this infuriating. I've had my 2021 GLS 450 in the shop twice already for windshield replacements (they seem delicate...I've never had to replace a windshield before) and just walked out to find the same thing has happened with this front glass piece. This certainly feels like a major design defect that Mercedes should address.
Old 02-06-2024, 06:58 PM

2019 GLC350E

Yes. A total pain. Ultimately I had the repaired covered (less deductible) by comprehensive coverage on my auto immune insurance. They gave me no hassle and settled the claim quickly and were quite generous in their estimate and payout.

Originally Posted by pprivett
I find this infuriating. I've had my 2021 GLS 450 in the shop twice already for windshield replacements (they seem delicate...I've never had to replace a windshield before) and just walked out to find the same thing has happened with this front glass piece. This certainly feels like a major design defect that Mercedes should address.
Old 02-07-2024, 05:18 PM

GLS 450
I wish I could make a claim, but my deductible is just slightly under what the repair will cost. I'm wondering if there's a way to file a complaint with Mercedes? I'm going to be ticked if this more than a one time thing.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:25 PM

GLS 450
Same issue on a ‘24 GLS 450

The glass above my windshield popped as I was pulling into my driveway. Less than 10k miles and 3 months after purchase. The glass broke in a complete rectangle all around the perimeter. There was no obvious rock chip anywhere on the glass.
Fortunately, the dealership covered the replacement under warranty.