M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

W166 Day Running Light Replacement Procedure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 11:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ML 350
W166 Day Running Light Replacement Procedure

Hi y'all, I've been a long time W166 owner, but have a problem that I haven't been able to figure out in the past couple of days. My left LED Day Running Light was struck by some rocks that fell off a truck and the actual light was damaged. I got myself a new replacement light but am not sure how to actually replace the light. From everything I have seen online, some models (C class and similar) have 4 screws on the front that can be undone, but my ML does not. I'm sure this means I'll have to go from underneath or behind the bumper, but is there anyone that may have experience in accessing/changing the DRL for the W166?

Thanks for any help or advice,
Rajan F
Old 12-04-2019, 01:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ML 350
After tinkering around a bit and looking for different access points, the easiest way I found to get into the housing and remove the LED bar was to open the access ports in the tire well for the low beam lights. After opening that panel, you can see the housing for the LED DRL. From there, there are about five clips. I used. flathead to pry open the clips, and that allowed for the entire LED housing to come forward out of the bumper. From there it's just plug and play and reattaching the clips.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rajan Farmah:
Don_CA (12-05-2019), peter2772000 (12-07-2019), rapidoxidation (03-09-2024), vrmb (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 08:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
ML 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Rajan Farmah
After tinkering around a bit and looking for different access points, the easiest way I found to get into the housing and remove the LED bar was to open the access ports in the tire well for the low beam lights. After opening that panel, you can see the housing for the LED DRL. From there, there are about five clips. I used. flathead to pry open the clips, and that allowed for the entire LED housing to come forward out of the bumper. From there it's just plug and play and reattaching the clips.
Well done. But this is the internet, if you don't have video, did it really happen?
Old 12-07-2019, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
Originally Posted by Don_CA
Well done. But this is the internet, if you don't have video, did it really happen?
You're terrible LOL
The following users liked this post:
Don_CA (12-07-2019)
Old 08-21-2020, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by Rajan Farmah
This doesn't work for the 2013 GL450. I could not see the DRL by removing the wheel access port.
I had to do the following:
  • lift up car by raising the airmatic.
  • Turn the wheel all the way towards the car.
  • Remove the wheel access port. (optional I believe)
  • Remove 3 small plastic rivets all the way on the outside of the plastic wheel lining insert. Look for them with a flashlight. I used a small screwdriver to loosen the center and pull them out.
  • Pull away the plastic wheel lining and tie it off to the wheel with some cord.
  • Remove the 4 clips by wedging gently with a screwdriver at the point closest to the DRL body.
  • pry out the electrical connector locking tab gently and then work the electrical connector off the DRL. It took a little force to do this.
  • Replacement was much easier than removal.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz GLE 350
Hello, sorry to resurrect an old post but I cannot figure this out lol. Luckily I had a spare old headlight to check but I have removed what I think to be some tabs but unsure of what to pull or still, how to get to the drl. I took a lot of pictures to show you all. And maybe you can help point out what I’m not seeing

Old 03-09-2024, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 667 Likes on 484 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
You're working on your main headlight assembly, yes? This thread is about the LED running lights assembly below the headlights... you'd do well to start your own thread with an appropriate title if you want to get some better responses.
The following users liked this post:
BlownV8 (03-09-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 141 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by Lito_Benz
Hello, sorry to resurrect an old post but I cannot figure this out lol. Luckily I had a spare old headlight to check but I have removed what I think to be some tabs but unsure of what to pull or still, how to get to the drl. I took a lot of pictures to show you all. And maybe you can help point out what I’m not seeing
you're in the wrong forum; the DRL on a W166 is a strip of LEDs below the headlamp. You want to post HERE.

For anyone reading this thread for tips on replacing the W166 DRL I just popped out the whole thing from the front using my interior trim removal tools.If you've ever heard of the (joke) furniture store Sofa King you'll like this: it's not just easy, it's Sofa King easy!

Here's what the assembly looks like from behind:

It’s easier if you remove the chrome piece first; it comes out easier. Use trim removal tools and pry carefully.

Last edited by eddieo45; 03-12-2024 at 09:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by eddieo45:
Potrice (04-19-2024), rapidoxidation (03-12-2024)