Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 BMW 535xi
Picking up my 2014 ML350 BTC tomorrow

Needless to say, it'll be a long night
I'm in the Toronto (ON) area.

However, this will be my first diesel vehicle (currently have a 535xi) and had a few questions:
1. I've noticed two grades of diesel at local stations - should I be using the 'premium' diesel version? What's the difference between the two?
2. I'm sure this question has been asked a million times before - what's the best way to break-in the engine. Read some posts elsewhere mentioning not to put the car on cruise and some others say to drive hard to break the engine in. I'm confused! Would love to hear your views.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
I would use the NON-bio diesel. There are several threads about the different type of diesel in this forum you might want to read.

Diesels are great engines and I would break in the way the manual says to do so. I also like to let my diesel engine wake up as easy as possible till it warms up, keeping the RPM low until the oil flows a little better. Driving like you stole the vehical is for people who do not know better.

You will love the torque at low RPM.

Enjoy today, picking up a new Benz is always a good day!

Last edited by GregGebhardt; 07-22-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by sufi-toronto
2. I'm sure this question has been asked a million times before - what's the best way to break-in the engine. ....
I wondered the same myself, there are a lot of gas powered guru's who will tell you drive the new car/bike really hard and it will a hard running engine.

Didn't think that would apply to the low revving diesel and I find myself just driving it easy because it's such a luxo-cruiser.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:18 PM

2011 BMW 535xi
Thanks for the feedback guys. Picked it up today. Quite a change after driving 3 different generations of 5-series over the last 9 years... but I like what I see/feel so far!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:19 PM

2011 BMW 535xi

Need to put up a better picture... will do so at some point soon!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:23 PM

2011 BMW 535xi
Originally Posted by GregGebhardt
I would use the NON-bio diesel. There are several threads about the different type of diesel in this forum you might want to read.

Diesels are great engines and I would break in the way the manual says to do so. I also like to let my diesel engine wake up as easy as possible till it warms up, keeping the RPM low until the oil flows a little better. Driving like you stole the vehical is for people who do not know better.

You will love the torque at low RPM.

Enjoy today, picking up a new Benz is always a good day!

Originally Posted by DFW01E55
I wondered the same myself, there are a lot of gas powered guru's who will tell you drive the new car/bike really hard and it will a hard running engine.

Didn't think that would apply to the low revving diesel and I find myself just driving it easy because it's such a luxo-cruiser.
Spoke with the sales rep and he said that there's no specific need to "break-in" the engine, per se. Just to drive normally and not speed beyond 120kmph for the first about 5,000kms or so.

Sounds like logical advice to me. With the advances in technology and engineering, I think the engines area better equipped/designed for consumers to simply be able to drive normally right off the lot.

Thanks for your feedback though - much appreciated