M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Apple CarPlay availability?

Old 09-04-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Apple CarPlay availability?

Does anyone have any definite availability info on Apple CarPlay working with the GLE?
Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Sure - call Apple - they are the ones in holding pattern and inability to complete the integration..
Old 09-05-2015, 12:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Sure - call Apple - they are the ones in holding pattern and inability to complete the integration..
How do you know it's not MBZ since they don't have a touch screen that can make it work easier. Audi is in the same boat. Their cars don't have touch screens either. I've had CarPlay in a radio I put in our work ford truck with an aftermarket pioneer deck. It is awesome but realize that you really do need a touch screen to use it to its full potential. Think about it how do you scroll down a screen or across the home screen to select an app?
Audi is in the same boat.
CarPlay has been available for almost a year now in a format that works, just not for cars that don't have touch screens. I don't think it's apple's fault but the car manufacturers way of how to enter commands into this touch screen interface
Old 09-05-2015, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Yes - it is Apple that is the hold up - COMAND controller provides same function as touch screen - that's no big deal - and frankly more luxury car brands are moving to towrds "controllers" and away from touch screens... it's Apple that is not providing the integration - not the car manuf...
Old 09-06-2015, 01:01 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
Yes - it is Apple that is the hold up - COMAND controller provides same function as touch screen - that's no big deal - and frankly more luxury car brands are moving to towrds "controllers" and away from touch screens... it's Apple that is not providing the integration - not the car manuf...
Obviously you haven't used CarPlay in person. Command controller can never duplicate your finger touching and dragging through a list of songs. Or not having to turn the command wheel to select the last app on the home menu. Apple did their work last year but now have to work with MBZ to dumb it down to work in their cars. Of course it's a collaboration between both parties.
It can be done but won't be as smooth.
It's the same story with many manufacturers. If your read press on this matter. Manufacturers put up a lot of road blocks before and outside party puts anything into those cars. Lots of checks and balances

Last edited by jtorrebl; 09-06-2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Well... actually I have ... and actually it was in a 2016 GLE63 manufacturing protoype in Feb... I guess you haven't "noticed" the addition of the touchpad controller to COMAND in fresh 2015/2016 models... reach out to the Apple Car Play Team and ask them what their holdup is.. I'm just calling it the way it is...
Old 09-06-2015, 07:04 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
I have yet to see touch screens successfully implemented in vehicles (ie: Ford Sync, Cadillac CUE). Not sure if I like the idea frankly.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:03 PM

2020 Panamera GTS
Well... actually I have ... and actually it was in a 2016 GLE63 manufacturing protoype in Feb... I guess you haven't "noticed" the addition of the touchpad controller to COMAND in fresh 2015/2016 models... reach out to the Apple Car Play Team and ask them what their holdup is.. I'm just calling it the way it is...
I've noticed, it's still not the same. Can't touch and drag songs from a playlist since your not touching the actual screen like on an iPhone. With the new touchpad you have to move the cursor/mouse then press to select, then maybe drag by keeping it pressed hard. See, it's not the same. Not the same easy interface as if you were on an iPhone. Apple will have to reverse engineer to make it work.
I agree touch screens in cars is messy. But for CarPlay it is essential to get the best experience. I never liked them in past cars but for CarPlay it makes sense.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:53 PM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
No Apple Carplay in 2017 GLE63s

Originally Posted by mlb711
Does anyone have any definite availability info on Apple CarPlay working with the GLE?
I just ordered 2 new MY2016 GLE63s vehicles. The dealer got an email from MB directly, confirming that Apple Carplay will NOT be in the 2016 vehicles.

Interestingly, I used Apple Carplay this past summer in a new rented Escalade....and I was LESS THAN IMPRESSED. It was very buggy and unreliable.

Turns out that Apple Carplay is about to be replaced by something a LOT better....an open source system (Linux-baseed) that is NOT proprietary and which is open-source. Car manufacturers would be smart to use the open-sourced Linux option, which is platform-independent.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes ml 350
Originally Posted by Subatomic Power
I just ordered 2 new MY2016 GLE63s vehicles. The dealer got an email from MB directly, confirming that Apple Carplay will NOT be in the 2016 vehicles.

Interestingly, I used Apple Carplay this past summer in a new rented Escalade....and I was LESS THAN IMPRESSED. It was very buggy and unreliable.

Turns out that Apple Carplay is about to be replaced by something a LOT better....an open source system (Linux-baseed) that is NOT proprietary and which is open-source. Car manufacturers would be smart to use the open-sourced Linux option, which is platform-independent.
my dealer just informed me that my 2016 will be coming with apple carplay january production. the mpp in the options list has been changed to mpx