M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Error Code - Door Chime / Puddle Light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML550 / 1994 E420
Error Code - Door Chime / Puddle Light?

Need opinion / advice from the group - hoping there's an obvious answer here.

Brought my 2013 ML550 back from a Service A. Dealer reported battery condition was fine as part of the service checks. Battery died in my garage last night and Roadside Assist came out to jump it this morning. No idea why it died - second time it's happened in the last year.

I cannot figure out the strange symptoms / chimes below. I've checked fuses for Driver Assist Package, Steering Wheel Adjustment, Hazard Flashers etc and a few others based on the fuse guide under the rear seat. Aside from pulling every fuse across all three fuse banks, not sure where to look.

ML550 does the following:
- Puddle Lamps in both front doors blink rapidly (normally, they are on steady state) in groups of 7 or 8 (one of them is a really short blink - strange, I know).
- Door/Seat Belt Chime signals 7 times in rapid succession, then chimes every few seconds; it repeats this cycle while the doors are open
- The "Don't Forget Your Key" Warning and Odometer flash rapidly between the two, then it stops when the chiming stops
- Active Blind Spot Inactive on engine start - Distronic and Lane Keep both appear to be functioning
- Driver and Passenger Side Blind Spot Triangles illuminate since Blind Spot Assist is inactive - so I assume the passenger mirror is getting power
- Passenger Side Mirror will not power fold in, but Driver Side works fine
- Passenger Side Mirror Turning Signal LED does not illuminate
- Passenger Side Mirror Power Adjustment / Tilt is out
- Right Turn Signal indicator on the dashboard blinks rapidly, but exterior signal lights are blinking at a normal rate except for the passenger mirror LED
- Steering Wheel Adjustment stumbles when going up / down

I am lost on where to look. I assume Mercedes programmed the system to chime / blink this way when something is wrong.

Any ideas? Would save me a 75mi trip back to the dealer if it's something simple.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
You have so many symptoms in so many different places, I dont think it's a power issue... It looks like a general electronic issue. You can get a code reader from Amazon, costs about 30 USD and it will help you get the codes and see what's happening. But in all cases I think you need to get it to the dealer for reprogramming.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Your battery is a least 4 years old. It probably is bad. These cars act up with bad batteries. Would change battery.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML550 / 1994 E420
It was two Signal Acquisition Modules that failed on the passenger side. Dealer replaced and all is right again.

Battery was was replaced last year with MB battery - not sure why they went out.