M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

2014 ML 350 Base Model - Steering Wheel vibration on braking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350
2014 ML 350 Base Model - Steering Wheel vibration on braking

I have a 2014 ML 350 with about 86K miles on it. Bought it used. Noticed the steering wheel vibration on braking. Dealer says rear brakes are not OEM and hence causing the vibration. I also needed new set of tires (worn out) which might have been out of balance and contributing to the vibration (mostly on high speeds). I have since replaced tires (vibration on high speeds is eliminated) and also went ahead and replaced rear brakes and pads. The vibration still continues during braking.

I read a post stating that steering vibrations are due to front brakes and whole body vibrations are due to rear. Not sure if this is true.

I have started focusing on the front brakes now. I have OEM pads with less than 10K miles on it, not sure about the rotors if they are OEM or not. The first owner had used aftermarket pads, but had them replaced with OEM before I bought the car. Is it possible that the aftermarket pads have left some residue on the rotors and it may be causing the vibration. I was thinking about having them resurfaced at a local O'Ralley Auto store.

Welcome any insight on this.

Thank you.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
Originally Posted by pulwama62
I have a 2014 ML 350 with about 86K miles on it. Bought it used. Noticed the steering wheel vibration on braking. Dealer says rear brakes are not OEM and hence causing the vibration. I also needed new set of tires (worn out) which might have been out of balance and contributing to the vibration (mostly on high speeds). I have since replaced tires (vibration on high speeds is eliminated) and also went ahead and replaced rear brakes and pads. The vibration still continues during braking.

I read a post stating that steering vibrations are due to front brakes and whole body vibrations are due to rear. Not sure if this is true.

I have started focusing on the front brakes now. I have OEM pads with less than 10K miles on it, not sure about the rotors if they are OEM or not. The first owner had used aftermarket pads, but had them replaced with OEM before I bought the car. Is it possible that the aftermarket pads have left some residue on the rotors and it may be causing the vibration. I was thinking about having them resurfaced at a local O'Ralley Auto store.

Welcome any insight on this.

Thank you.
I felt the same from a deffective rear tyre that could not be balanced, mainly around 90-110 km/h. GLE
Old 10-14-2017, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You do not "resurface" Mercedes rotors - you replace/new.

MB Brand OE front rotors are about $270 a pair - ATE "Coated" which are the OE rotors no with MB Brand are about $90 each.

Note for 2015 ML's - the Sport Package/AMG-Exterior-Appearance-Package and Non-Sport-Package are two slightly different rotors and are not interchangeable.

Best to get part# from MB dealer parts dept for your VIN# and eliminate the guess work.

The brake work is straight forward for any competant shop can do - Pagid are the OE front pads about $80 a set.

Shop best to use MB "brake goo" which gets "schmeared" to back of pad - and a line done on along the edge of the pad to reduce/eliminate squeal/chatter.

Keep the beat !
The following users liked this post:
pulwama62 (10-15-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Aftermarket pads will almost always warp OEM rotors on a vehicle with small-ish rotor sizes for the mass of the vehicle. Their coefficient of friction is different from OEM pads and as a result they generate more heat, which the rotors can't effectively dissipate and they warp. No amount of machining will help - you need new front rotors. Stick with OEM pads and rotors and you won't have issues.
The following users liked this post:
pulwama62 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:36 AM

2014 ML350
Thanks everyone for your input. Went ahead and replaced the front pads and rotors. The vibration is fixed.
Here is a link for a youtube video that I used for the DIY project.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 139 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by pulwama62
Thanks everyone for your input. Went ahead and replaced the front pads and rotors. The vibration is fixed.
Here is a link for a youtube video that I used for the DIY project.
Where did you buy parts? Its alway good to know the good source.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:50 AM

2014 ML350
I made the decision to buy OEM (MB) parts as the vibration was becoming concerning and annoying at the same time. I ordered parts from a MB dealer who does business on-line under the following name:

https://mercedespartscenter.com/index.cfm

These parts where dropped shipped from MB warehouse, so the dealer only took the order. Packing was excellent avoiding any in transit damage. Received parts within 4 days and paid no tax on the purchase. Shipping was about $50 (little expenses as I work at UPS and know what it should cost and the corporate discounts MB gets and keeps). But overall I saved about 30% on the parts compared to my local MB dealer.