M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Any Live Traffic Options For NAV (other than Sirius)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 ML350
Any Live Traffic Options For NAV (other than Sirius)

My live traffic stopped working on the NAV screen. I called MB and they informed me that I must pay Sirius for live traffic. We have two other cars in our family and both come with lifetime live traffic on the NAV. I think it's ridiculous to be forced to pay a third party for something that most brands (including Ford) include for free. Are there any free apps or alternative ways to get live traffic on the NAV screen? I have an Android phone but would rather use the NAV screen.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by musicmafia
My live traffic stopped working on the NAV screen. I called MB and they informed me that I must pay Sirius for live traffic. We have two other cars in our family and both come with lifetime live traffic on the NAV. I think it's ridiculous to be forced to pay a third party for something that most brands (including Ford) include for free. Are there any free apps or alternative ways to get live traffic on the NAV screen? I have an Android phone but would rather use the NAV screen.
unfortunately unless you directly hack into the comand APS to get the free nav/traffic updates, the best that i can suggest to you is use your phone for navigation as i do. I havent upgraded my navigation myself and i might do so sometime in the future but for the time being i use the phone.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
14 ML350 4MATIC
Following...

But, I just added NavTraffic subscription from Sirius XM (https://www.siriusxm.com/navtraffic/pricing), and I can see live traffic, and also weather somehow. I was not interested in the radio at all, and it was cheap enough ($3.99/month + tax).

Last edited by MBSang; 04-03-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by MBSang
Following...

But, I just added NavTraffic subscription from Sirius XM (https://www.siriusxm.com/navtraffic/pricing), and I can see live traffic, and also weather somehow. I was not interested in the radio at all, and it was cheap enough ($3.99/month + tax).
ya but dont you need the updated maps though?
Old 04-04-2018, 06:48 PM

2015 ML350
I guess if I want live traffic on the NAV screen I'll have to pony up. Just rubs me wrong since this comes included on non-luxury brands like Ford and Toyota.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:30 AM

14 ML350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by drwolf
ya but dont you need the updated maps though?
I believe that has to be done by the dealer, and around $300, nothing related to the traffic info on nav.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by MBSang
I believe that has to be done by the dealer, and around $300, nothing related to the traffic info on nav.
I know that, i havent updated mine yet, in all honesty i dont plan to
Old 04-05-2018, 02:41 PM

2015 ML350
I guess if I want live traffic on the NAV screen I'll have to pony up. Just rubs me wrong since this comes included on non-luxury brands like Ford and Toyota.
I surrender. Called Sirius last night. The idiot rep kept me on the phone an hour (mostly trying to upsell me). I told them I just want live traffic. $4/mo. They took all my credit card info, etc, told me I was good to go. As of today, still no live traffic. Guess I'm back on the phone with Sirius today
Old 04-05-2018, 03:28 PM

14 ML350 4MATIC
I surrender. Called Sirius last night. The idiot rep kept me on the phone an hour (mostly trying to upsell me). I told them I just want live traffic. $4/mo. They took all my credit card info, etc, told me I was good to go. As of today, still no live traffic. Guess I'm back on the phone with Sirius today
I am not sure how this whole thing is working, but I accidentally activated xm radio to begin with... I paid, and activated mine per their instruction. It took about 2-3 min, and restart the audio. Then, realized what I need is not radio, but NavTraffic... so, I called them and drop the radio, and transfer my account to the nav... and waited about 1-2 min, and the radio switched to "preview" automatically... so, I changed radio to nav, and I see the live traffic in nearby highway, also I can click the "traffic" menu at the bottom of the screen... so, it wasn't bad at all for me...

Good luck with your activation...
Old 04-05-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
MB Navigation Command is the most archaic system in this universe! My 'Nag-agator' (wife) has spent 3 years learning this mess on our way to Florida & back each year, and has now got quite a handle on it. I will admit to purchasing 'DVD in Motion' to allow operation while driving... I know, I know , Transport Canada rules infringed! This system of having an Operators DVD copied to the hard drive, only to be viewed while sitting in a driveway is absolute NUTS! Well at least those without DVDINMOTION. No chance of reading it at home, on your standalone computer at your leisure... just STUPID! Love the ML, but, the angst of yesterday's computer brain leaves one with the thought to try other vehicles next time around. The Best Or Nothing... doesn't ring true here. With a purchase of any Garmin, traffic for life is free... IPhone WAYS, way beyond MB's architecture!
...end of rant...!
Old 04-05-2018, 10:24 PM

2015 ML350
Originally Posted by Koenig1
MB Navigation Command is the most archaic system in this universe! My 'Nag-agator' (wife) has spent 3 years learning this mess on our way to Florida & back each year, and has now got quite a handle on it. I will admit to purchasing 'DVD in Motion' to allow operation while driving... I know, I know , Transport Canada rules infringed! This system of having an Operators DVD copied to the hard drive, only to be viewed while sitting in a driveway is absolute NUTS! Well at least those without DVDINMOTION. No chance of reading it at home, on your standalone computer at your leisure... just STUPID! Love the ML, but, the angst of yesterday's computer brain leaves one with the thought to try other vehicles next time around. The Best Or Nothing... doesn't ring true here. With a purchase of any Garmin, traffic for life is free... IPhone WAYS, way beyond MB's architecture!
...end of rant...!
Man, I love a good rant and yours is certainly justified. I agree with you 100%. This traffic/NAV issue is just the tip of the melting iceberg. The entire MB Comand system, tiny receded non-touch screen and clunky user interface (complete with knobs LOL) is straight out of 2001. I love just about everything else about my ML but I shake my head every day wondering what the hell they were thinking! Even our Ford had a nice touch screen and a great user-friendly interface.

The last time I had my ML serviced they gave me a 2018 MB sedan as a loaner and although the screen was a little bigger it was the same archaic system! Knob and all!

PS My operators disc has never worked. Everything I look up in the manual, says "refer to digital operators guide". Mercedes sent me a replacement disc and it will not load. So I cant even sit in the driveway and try and figure something out.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
PS My operators disc has never worked. Everything I look up in the manual, says "refer to digital operators guide". Mercedes sent me a replacement disc and it will not load. So I cant even sit in the driveway and try and figure something out.

Hmmm. On my 2014 I scroll to the 'globe" symbol at the far right end of the Main Function Bar, select, then scroll to the Operator's Manual. I have a disc but I have never had to use it. I always assumed that the disc was loaded into the COMAND system at vehicle prep. It is also covered in the first few pages of the COMAND section my paper M-Class Operator's Manual - page 222 in my case. It is very handy. I don't know nay other manufacturer that has this feature.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 350
Well is it possible to hack into the COMAND APS and if so, How?????
Old 04-11-2018, 04:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by cjamesqb8
Well is it possible to hack into the COMAND APS and if so, How?????
Is that for me? I haven't a clue.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:54 PM

2015 ML350
Originally Posted by vinceC

Hmmm. On my 2014 I scroll to the 'globe" symbol at the far right end of the Main Function Bar, select, then scroll to the Operator's Manual. I have a disc but I have never had to use it. I always assumed that the disc was loaded into the COMAND system at vehicle prep. It is also covered in the first few pages of the COMAND section my paper M-Class Operator's Manual - page 222 in my case. It is very handy. I don't know nay other manufacturer that has this feature.
Yeah I have the full book manual but it seems like most things I look up are only in the digital manual. When I navigate there, it says the manual must be uploaded from the disc and every time I try to load the disc, it errors out. Next time it's in for service hopefully they can figure it out.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes ML350
I have had a 2012 ML350 which supports Sirius/XM Radio and Traffic. Traffic is an add-on feature but I really like the Sirius version vs XM version which was on my wife's Lexus. I recently acquired a 2017 E300 and found out that it supports Sirius/XM Radio but Traffic is not-supported. At first it seemed unbelievable that technology had digressed and the newer technology in the E300 would not support Sirius/XM Traffic. Subsequently I found out that Mercedes is now in the game and you are supposed to use their Traffic package called Live Traffic. It is available through subscription. To be fair, I have not had enough experience with the Mercedes Live Traffic yet, but first blush is that I prefer the traffic depiction on my 2012 ML with Sirius/XM traffic than Live Traffic. So bottom line...don't confuse the generic live traffic with Mercedes Live Traffic. Also, you may need to check with both Mercedes and Sirius to make sure which version is supported in your vehicle. Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 Mercedes SLK 2010 BMW 238ix
Re: MB owners affected by 3G shutdown
  1. Looks like MB did publish something "official". No publication date
  2. Also looks like a law firm is looking at legal action for MB owners affected by 3G shutdown - and fyi: asking affected owners to contact them.