M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

ML550 Air Filter R&R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550 Air Filter R&R

Recently took delivery of my CPO'd '14 ML550. Dealer provided me with copy of the CPO work and related internal service invoice. I saw no mention of replacement of the engine air filters, so I figured after four years and just over 30K miles, it might be a good thing to replace them. My suspicions were confirmed when I opened up the airboxes. Here's the passenger side; driver's side was similar:

Both boxes were filled with grit, leaves and other debris. When inspecting between the pleats on the filter itself, the amount of dust and particulate was massive. Since we know the lovely bi-turbo likes to breathe, let it have efficient air flow. If you haven't ever done your ML550 air filters, if may be well worth your time to do this simple maintenance task. I used Mann filters (Mann is the OE supplier to MB for these filters).
Old 04-30-2018, 11:33 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
ML550

What are you impressions of the ML550. I have been wanting to buy one myself . I currently have a ML 350 and just want a V8. What type vehicle did you own before the ML550. Is there a Turbo lag and do both turbo come in together or separately.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Isawelvis
What are you impressions of the ML550. I have been wanting to buy one myself . I currently have a ML 350 and just want a V8. What type vehicle did you own before the ML550. Is there a Turbo lag and do both turbo come in together or separately.
Initial impression is the W166 generation ML550 with the 4.6L Bi-Turbo engine is simply superb. It's more powerful, quiet and luxurious than the W164 ML550 (which is very nice itself). I just came out of a Cayenne Turbo; my wife still has her W164 ML550. I have a sinking feeling she's going to pry the newer one's keys away from me and I'll end up with the older one. You know, happy wife, happy life.

As for turbo lag, it's just non-existent. The engine features a twin turbo set-up, with one turbocharger for each cylinder bank. The power band is so smooth that you simply aren't aware how fast you're accelerating. Case in point, one evening last week I was driving down a road near our house that has a 35 mph speed limit. I think I'm doing about 40 mph or so when my wife tells me I better slow down. I look down at the speedo and see I'm doing 65mph. Sure as heck did not seem, feel or sound like it. It's so deceptively quiet and powerful. If you get a chance, you will not regret making the upgrade to the ML550.

Last edited by Lysholm Master; 05-01-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML550
ML550

Originally Posted by Lysholm Master
Recently took delivery of my CPO'd '14 ML550. Dealer provided me with copy of the CPO work and related internal service invoice. I saw no mention of replacement of the engine air filters, so I figured after four years and just over 30K miles, it might be a good thing to replace them. My suspicions were confirmed when I opened up the airboxes. Here's the passenger side; driver's side was similar:

Both boxes were filled with grit, leaves and other debris. When inspecting between the pleats on the filter itself, the amount of dust and particulate was massive. Since we know the lovely bi-turbo likes to breathe, let it have efficient air flow. If you haven't ever done your ML550 air filters, if may be well worth your time to do this simple maintenance task. I used Mann filters (Mann is the OE supplier to MB for these filters).
I just changed yesterday, what a giantic PITA to get those filters out! Mine looked just as bad, I didn't realize how.much this was effecting the performance of the car. After i got the air boxes cleaned out (enough crap in there to fill a shot glass on each side) I added the K and N filters. Wow, what a difference. Feels like a new car and i get traction light flash on a first to second shift. I have always enjoyed having K and Ns on previous vehicles, but this change was remarkable. On Amazon for less than $100 for 2. Will not effect warranty. Worth it!
The following users liked this post:
peter2772000 (12-23-2018)