M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

ML350 Bluetec oil leak, help! *pics*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, 2010 W212 E350, 1990 W201 190E, 2019 Volvo V90 R design, Golf GTi
ML350 Bluetec oil leak, help! *pics*

Hi all,

I bought the missus a 2012 ML350 bluetec for Christmas (white, 21" alloys, decent spec etc) and its been an amazing SUV to kart the kids around, do the shopping etc, however I noticed some oil patches on the driveway yesterday. I have just removed the undertrays to inspect and it looks like it is coming from around the front of the sump area of just a little higher? I was limited to what I could see as it was not on a ramp, I had just raised the suspension up higher from the inside.

From the pics can anyone give me any pointers as to what it could be from that area, from the top of the engine it looks dry so think it is quite low. I will of course book it in to be fixed but trying to diagnose myself!

Couple of pics taken from when I was laying under the car....

Thanks
Old 05-29-2018, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
I don't think you'll find the source until you've thoroughly pressure-washed the whole thing. Hope it isn't the oil cooler seals.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 Blutec
Any luck in finding out what this is? I went to change the oil in mine today and have a similar looking situation on the bottom of the engine. Called for an appointment and the dealership can't get me in for two weeks but this is warranty work so we will see. Just trying to point the tech in a good direction.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, 2010 W212 E350, 1990 W201 190E, 2019 Volvo V90 R design, Golf GTi
I did yes, it was indeed the oil cooler!

As mine was out of warranty I got an indy to do it (PMW in Chelmsford - where I take all my cars!). He turned it around in 3 days, there was in fact another one in there with the same issue, they were saying the MB had 45 units on the shelf in their parts dept so they obviously know its a weak point! Cost under £900 all in I think, included an oil and coolant change......

Good luck with yours
Old 12-21-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ml bluetec
Originally Posted by cfoster
I did yes, it was indeed the oil cooler!

As mine was out of warranty I got an indy to do it (PMW in Chelmsford - where I take all my cars!). He turned it around in 3 days, there was in fact another one in there with the same issue, they were saying the MB had 45 units on the shelf in their parts dept so they obviously know its a weak point! Cost under £900 all in I think, included an oil and coolant change......

Good luck with yours
MB used this same engine for many years and I was hoping w166 will be different but nO . Its exact same .only different plastic cover . This is now my 3 ML and they all have oil cooler leak. It's a big job but also has positive thin is your air manifolds will be clean from all that carbon build up.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
The oil seals leak due to excessive high underhood temps. The original orange seals were updated to purple Viton seals which handle the heat better but aren't as flexible, causing leaks just the same. Do yourselves a favour and pop the belly pan and engine cover during the summer months to allow the engine compartment to run cooler.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ml bluetec
Originally Posted by cfoster
Hi all,

I bought the missus a 2012 ML350 bluetec for Christmas (white, 21" alloys, decent spec etc) and its been an amazing SUV to kart the kids around, do the shopping etc, however I noticed some oil patches on the driveway yesterday. I have just removed the undertrays to inspect and it looks like it is coming from around the front of the sump area of just a little higher? I was limited to what I could see as it was not on a ramp, I had just raised the suspension up higher from the inside.

From the pics can anyone give me any pointers as to what it could be from that area, from the top of the engine it looks dry so think it is quite low. I will of course book it in to be fixed but trying to diagnose myself!

Couple of pics taken from when I was laying under the car....

Thanks
I am going through 4th ML. Replace them every 3 years. All diesel MLS have same engine only different top cover
the only common leak is OIL COOLER which sits right in the center of V . Deep inside under turbo ,manifolds etc. About 20hr job . The good thin is your air manifolds will get cleaned and egr,swirl flaps etc will be free of carbonation. Good to run for another 70-100k before it leak again.. you can top up oil to the level until it starts to run like rain and you get tired of oil Mark's on your driveway.