Potential purchase - ML or GLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 911
Potential purchase - ML or GLE

Hi all,

New member here. I'm looking into buying a ML or GLE to become my new daily driver. I've been doing research and comparisons for the past few months and I still cannot make up my mind, therefore I'm coming here to seek out opinions from you! Thanks in advance.
Some quick background: I'm looking for a SUV and narrowed my search to two choices: Lexus GX and the Mercedes ML/GLE. I don't see a whole lot of comparisons between the two (more RX vs ML/GLE). The Lexus is great with body on frame construction and super reliability, but the tech is now 8 yrs old and also pretty bad on gas. I don't plan to do much if any off-roading. On top of that, a similar year GX still costs roughly $10k more than a ML. Due to that I'm leaning more towards the Mercedes at this point. I would be looking at a later year ML (2014 - 2015) or an earlier year GLE (2016 - 2017). 350 gas engine only. Here's a comparison summary that I came up with:

Obviously the ML is much cheaper (on average $8k less than a GLE). Pretty much same car as GLE aside from minor exterior updates and the pad like navigation. I do like the exterior updates on the GLE, however I cannot make up my mind if the updates are worth $8k+. If the price gap is around 3 to 4k I would go GLE. The navi doesn't bother me. I can live with both designs. If I do pull the trigger, I do hope to keep this car for a long time (7-10 years). I know the Mercedes will not be as reliable as a Lexus, but I'm ok with that as long as it doesn't become a major headache.

The other thing I'm thinking about is where to buy? I'm thinking carmax (for their extended warranty) or CPO. Although I can purchase extended warranty on a CPO, I'm still a little bit concerned that CPO only covers 1 year. Any suggestions?
What do you guys think of the ML vs GLE? advantages/disadvantages? Or does it really come down to personal preference on the facelift?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 139 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
ML vs GLE
I have ML and do like GLE but its personal preference.
And when I was looking I looked for diesel ML (wish to look here before).

Also GLE has airmatic ML most of them comes with springs easy and reliable. No compressor issues or air leaks

14-15 ML looks like the best in reliability still not like Lexus but some do live long.

If you like GLE talk to sales and point to new redesigned GLE is about her so it make existing look old ))
Old 06-07-2018, 01:32 AM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Just some info on Mercedes CPO, it is one year added to the original warranty. So let say you buy a 2015 with an inservice date of July 2015. The car came with a 4 year 50,000 warranty. so it is good to July 2019 as long as it is less than 50,000 on the original warranty. . If it is a CPO they would add one additional year to July 2016 with unlimited mileage. I bought a 2015 Ml in May 2016 with 18,000 miles and now have unlimited mileage thru May 2020. Which is 4 years original factory plus one year CPO. Current odometer reading is 51,000 but I have unlimited mileage through May 2020. Thats a good deal to me.

Not sure where you live but you can go to the Mercedes CPO site and search for CPO cars ML and GLEs . All are covered by CPO.

you can still find 2014 ML CPO but I would look for 2015/2016
Old 06-07-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
14 ML350 4MATIC
I agree with you, I think $8K is not worth that cosmetic update (well, ML is 1-2 year older than GLE, so cheaper as well).

I have 2014 ML that I get 2 years ago with 20K miles on her without CPO. My warranty ends on end of this month, so I added extended Mercedes warranty for 3 more years and up to 75K miles which cost me little less than $2K (via remote dealer). I know CPO gives you instant peace of mine, but I think my approach is not that bad either.

You get your car cheaper without CPO, and try her out for 1-2 years, and if decide to add extended warranty, then do it. I guess it will be about the same price as CPO car at this point (used car w/o CPO + warranty cost), but I get 7 total year of coverage (vs 5 year total with CPO). You can pick different miles when you add warranty (well, with more $$$).
But, make sure that the car still has manufacturer's warranty to add MB extended warranty. If not, you need to deal with 3rd party which I am not a big fan of...

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
sadpanda (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 E400 wagon
Originally Posted by Isawelvis
Just some info on Mercedes CPO, it is one year added to the original warranty. So let say you buy a 2015 with an inservice date of July 2015. The car came with a 4 year 50,000 warranty. so it is good to July 2019 as long as it is less than 50,000 on the original warranty. . If it is a CPO they would add one additional year to July 2016 with unlimited mileage. I bought a 2015 Ml in May 2016 with 18,000 miles and now have unlimited mileage thru May 2020. Which is 4 years original factory plus one year CPO. Current odometer reading is 51,000 but I have unlimited mileage through May 2020. Thats a good deal to me.

Not sure where you live but you can go to the Mercedes CPO site and search for CPO cars ML and GLEs . All are covered by CPO.

you can still find 2014 ML CPO but I would look for 2015/2016
One key thing to add: you can extend the CPO warranty by a further 2 years, for a total of 4 years/50k miles on original warranty, then 3 years/unlimited miles on CPO warranty. The extension costs several grand but is usually totally worth. It's also cheaper to buy the extension within your first 30(?) days of ownership. Thus, when buying a Mercedes CPO, you have to basically factor in the warranty extension as a backend addition to the purchase price.

Also, having driven GLE loaners when my 2012 ML has been in the shop, the interior upgrades didn't make a major difference, but the GLE felt more solidly-built overall (fewer rattles, better plastics quality, etc.)
Old 06-07-2018, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by phpbear
<snip>
If I do pull the trigger, I do hope to keep this car for a long time (7-10 years). I know the Mercedes will not be as reliable as a Lexus, but I'm ok with that as long as it doesn't become a major headache.
<snip>
I wouldn't even consider owning a Merc for that long - especially a used car - even if someone gave it to me for free. They are simply not built to last... in fact, they are built to fall apart after a certain date. Even the corrosion warranty has now been reduced to 4 years. They now use single timing chains instead of dual ones. It is *designed* to be unreliable and costly to maintain after a certain point.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 GLC 43 AMG, 2018 Valante van, 2021 A45S AMG
I personally do not like the GLE shape changes. I would go for a ML with a lot of options fitted, especially AMG ones (interior / exterior) for the same money. I would also go with the gas 350 version as I read here that the blue tech has a few issues. Do not ever buy any Mercedes with air or fluid suspension! Stay well away. Nothing but very expensive problems, I speak from experience. I have read here that some feel that the 350 is lacking in power, and find it difficult the fathom why they think that. I traded my 2001 ML55 AMG (very reliable wagon) for a 2014 ML350 and fell the 350 has just as much 'get up and go' as the 55 had. If members want to go really fast - buy the new gas guzzling AMG. I think the 350 (both gas and diesel - same hp) is quick enough, allows safe over-taking and reasonable fuel economy. I really enjoy driving mine.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 E350 wagon cuprite brown; sold:2014 ML63; R500 Saks Edition; R500; more W124s than I can count
Originally Posted by Starfollower
I personally do not like the GLE shape changes. I would go for a ML with a lot of options fitted, especially AMG ones (interior / exterior) for the same money. I would also go with the gas 350 version as I read here that the blue tech has a few issues. Do not ever buy any Mercedes with air or fluid suspension! Stay well away. Nothing but very expensive problems, I speak from experience. I have read here that some feel that the 350 is lacking in power, and find it difficult the fathom why they think that. I traded my 2001 ML55 AMG (very reliable wagon) for a 2014 ML350 and fell the 350 has just as much 'get up and go' as the 55 had. If members want to go really fast - buy the new gas guzzling AMG. I think the 350 (both gas and diesel - same hp) is quick enough, allows safe over-taking and reasonable fuel economy. I really enjoy driving mine.
my experience with Mercedes air suspension has been very different than yours. Have had two R500’s with full air suspension and other than one compressor relay and compressor [which was not an expensive fix] the systems were rock solid reliable. The main reason that I bought an ML63 was for the air suspension. It is almost impossible to find an ML550 with airmatic so the ML63 was the only option. I love the airmatic and would not buy the steel spring version. Obviously, to each his own...
Old 06-08-2018, 05:10 PM

Porsche 911
Thanks for all the responses so far. I think if I decide on the Mercedes getting a CPO and add an additional 2 years of warranty through the dealer is the way to go. My only true concern is long term reliability. For the SUV I really do want to make it a 7+ year car. Some say the gas 350 is pretty reliable and can go up to 150k miles without too many issues, some say it's still a nightmare. With no previous Benz ownership experience I really can't judge one way or the other, the only thing that's consistent among most is that Mercedes is better than BMW, but that's not saying much . My previous two BMW experiences were pretty bad.

How long do most of you plan keep your ML/GLE?
Old 06-08-2018, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
How long do most of you plan keep your ML/GLE?
I have asked the same question here

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=698841&page=1
Old 06-09-2018, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by termite

my experience with Mercedes air suspension has been very different than yours. Have had two R500’s with full air suspension and other than one compressor relay and compressor [which was not an expensive fix] the systems were rock solid reliable. The main reason that I bought an ML63 was for the air suspension. It is almost impossible to find an ML550 with airmatic so the ML63 was the only option. I love the airmatic and would not buy the steel spring version. Obviously, to each his own...
Great that you have good experiences with non standard suspensions. I was the opposite and chose a ML that was fully loaded and made it clear to the supplier that I wanted spring suspension. I have owned numerous different model Mercs and at present have a CL600 V12twin turbo that has had $20,000 spent on replacing the suspension components by the previous owner (under warranty) after a pump blew and sent crap through the whole system!
I have also replaced the hoses with better than MB ones as they leak. The CL and S Class forums are full of pages on suspension problems.
On saying all this - I am taking about older models and as you say, the air suspension systems must have been vastly improved.
Still - it is just another complicated system to go wrong, hence I stick with spring shocks etc.

Last edited by Starfollower; 06-09-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
We've owned a '14 ML350 CPO for almost 2 years, and a '14 GL450 CPO for about a year. I've had 2 GLE loaners as well. I did not realize until I saw this thread that one of the GLE's might have had airmatic. I noticed right away that the ride was smooth like my GL. Our ML without it has a harsher ride. Many CPO's are lease returns, bought at auctions by dealers for inventory (see Carfax). Tough finding one with lots of options. We lucked out with the ML as the wife wanted the cooled seats and we found one 3 hours away. A point here is whether or not you want 4matic. Our ML does not have it ( a $2,500 option), but we live in S Texas so not really needed. I cannot tell the difference between the ML 2w drive and the GL when driving. The orig sticker of the ML was $68,500, so with 4matic it would have been close to $71k. And that's 4 years ago.
In looking at CPO prices over the 2 years, I've noticed that options don't matter a lot when it comes to pricing. My sense is that the options are depreciated more that the cost of the base car. You can go on listingallcars.com and do a search for CPO's, and then do a keyword like distronic. It might not give you all the cars around the country that have that option, but it's better than the mbusa CPO site which does not have a keyword search. Once you find one on listingallcars, try to get to the dealer's site to see if it is available, and what options are really on the car. Good luck!
https://www.listingallcars.com/srp/?...ss&k=distronic

Last edited by pjw1967; 06-09-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:10 PM

Porsche 911
Originally Posted by DanD.
I have asked the same question here

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=698841&page=1
Yes I've read that one a few times before. Unfortunately most of the responses went into the discussion of Bluetec. Was wondering for most Gas 350 owners, what are their realistic expectations in terms of longevity? How many truly do want to keep this SUV long term?
Old 06-11-2018, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Yes I've read that one a few times before. Unfortunately most of the responses went into the discussion of Bluetec. Was wondering for most Gas 350 owners, what are their realistic expectations in terms of longevity? How many truly do want to keep this SUV long term?
Here is another one, not sure if you saw it
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=690317&page=1
Old 06-11-2018, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
phpbear: the Bluetec has a couple of specific issues (namely the oil cooler and AdBlue tank) that don't exist with a gas model, but everything else applies equally to all MLs and GLEs. If you are prepared to spend Mercedes service money on a Mercedes vehicle once things start to wear out and go wrong, then get the car. If you are only prepared to spend Toyota money, then don't. You can keep a vehicle on the road for 50 years if you are prepared to fork out the cash required to keep it on the road that long.

We have no idea what you consider a reasonable amount to put toward maintaining a car and we don't have crystal ***** to tell us how long your particular used ML may or may not last you or how much $ you will have to put into it over a given time period. You might want to consult a psychic on that one.

If you expect it to run trouble-free for 10 years form the in-service date, then you're indeed deluding yourself. The only unknown is whether it will cost you $4K or $12K per year on average in repairs and maintenance after the warranty expires, and if you're buying someone else's discarded goods (i.e. a lease return that was only serviced as little as possible and that may have been driven hard with a cold engine for example), I would tend to think that it is more likely to develop problems sooner rather than later. Any luxury car will on average cost about 5% of its original purchase price annually on R&M after the warranty expires.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:39 AM

Porsche 911
Diabolis, I think I will be ok with Mercedes service money based on what I currently have and used to. My question was do most ML/GLE owners plan to keep the car long term, or do most consider this a "lease/own a few years and get rid of" vehicle. From your earlier reply you obviously don't believe in keeping these cars long term, but was wondering if everybody is on the same boat. If so, I might have to evaluate a bit more.

Definitely understand nobody can tell me how much the car would/if break, that's why I'm asking to see what everyone's personal experience has been. It will be my first Mercedes but not the first car around this price point, so I'm not worried on maintenance costs and normal repairs. Now if it truly comes to $12k a year, then yes I would dump it and move on to something else, as I believe everyone on this forum will also be doing the same thing .
Old 06-12-2018, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Edmunds have some ideas. On 5 years run
Something to consider.

Potential purchase - ML or GLE-photo959.jpg
Old 06-13-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
phpbear - most Mercedes Benz owners lease their cars. I remember reading that approx 60% of Mercedes on the road are leased. I don't think its due to reliability of the car, but people can get a nicer car by leasing it and many people who own their own business use it for tax write off.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Let me put it another way... the SERVICE departments at most MB dealerships these days have to meet not only sales quotas but growth projections. How do you suppose they will do that if Mercedes builds cars that don't break down?

In the last few years the game has changed. Cars are now designed and manufactured to be disposable goods. The auto manufacturers don't want 12-year-old cars on the roads - if a car lasts for 12 years instead of six, that means that they only get to sell half as many cars (even if the cars change hands and the original owner buys a new one every three years, someone else down the road still buys the second-hand cars and drives those instead of them being forced to buy a new one). That is how you double and triple your sales and thus shareholder profits, not by building high quality cars that last forever. Those days are gone.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:41 AM

Porsche 911
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Let me put it another way... the SERVICE departments at most MB dealerships these days have to meet not only sales quotas but growth projections. How do you suppose they will do that if Mercedes builds cars that don't break down?

In the last few years the game has changed. Cars are now designed and manufactured to be disposable goods. The auto manufacturers don't want 12-year-old cars on the roads - if a car lasts for 12 years instead of six, that means that they only get to sell half as many cars (even if the cars change hands and the original owner buys a new one every three years, someone else down the road still buys the second-hand cars and drives those instead of them being forced to buy a new one). That is how you double and triple your sales and thus shareholder profits, not by building high quality cars that last forever. Those days are gone.
You got a point here. Indeed some truly could be certain areas where they are "built to fail" after a certain time, or to put it in another way "built for replacement", which could include certain important parts of the engine. I've heard these talks during BMW ownership, but do believe it is true for Mercedes as well. Definitely not great for folks that want to keep their car long term.

For me this SUV will be more of a "practical/need" vehicle, not truly a "want" car (my heart and savings are still more reserved for sports cars). Due to this, my goal is to buy and keep it as long as I can instead of getting something new every 3 years like leasing. Obviously I'm looking for something above average or else a Toyota Highlander would be on my radar. I feel like the a 15 ML has hit that perfect balance between depreciation yet still being relatively new and low mileage. GLE still on the pricier side due to only being 2 years old but the looks have a slight advantage over ML in my eyes. First world problems I know....
Old 06-15-2018, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by termite

I rest my case! (copied from new post today)

I just had to replace the air compressor on my 2013 ML63 with airmatic due to a hose leak, which most likely made it run until the bearings failed.

Anyways, I installed a new line, air compressor and intake filter and are stuck finding that dran compressor relay that was shipped and recommended
to be replaced with the new compressor.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
Mayback
Hi all,

New member here. I'm looking into buying a ML or GLE to become my new daily driver. I've been doing research and comparisons for the past few months and I still cannot make up my mind, therefore I'm coming here to seek out opinions from you! Thanks in advance.
Some quick background: I'm looking for a SUV and narrowed my search to two choices: Lexus GX and the Mercedes ML/GLE. I don't see a whole lot of comparisons between the two (more RX vs ML/GLE). The Lexus is great with body on frame construction and super reliability, but the tech is now 8 yrs old and also pretty bad on gas. I don't plan to do much if any off-roading. On top of that, a similar year GX still costs roughly $10k more than a ML. Due to that I'm leaning more towards the Mercedes at this point. I would be looking at a later year ML (2014 - 2015) or an earlier year GLE (2016 - 2017). 350 gas engine only. Here's a comparison summary that I came up with:

Obviously the ML is much cheaper (on average $8k less than a GLE). Pretty much same car as GLE aside from minor exterior updates and the pad like navigation. I do like the exterior updates on the GLE, however I cannot make up my mind if the updates are worth $8k+. If the price gap is around 3 to 4k I would go GLE. The navi doesn't bother me. I can live with both designs. If I do pull the trigger, I do hope to keep this car for a long time (7-10 years). I know the Mercedes will not be as reliable as a Lexus, but I'm ok with that as long as it doesn't become a major headache.

The other thing I'm thinking about is where to buy? I'm thinking carmax (for their extended warranty) or CPO. Although I can purchase extended warranty on a CPO, I'm still a little bit concerned that CPO only covers 1 year. Any suggestions?
What do you guys think of the ML vs GLE? advantages/disadvantages? Or does it really come down to personal preference on the facelift?
Last year, I bought my wife a CPO 2014 ML350 as a gift. Paid $39,000. She loves it but I also like driving it as well. We use it as a daily driver to commute to work and haul around the kids. It now has 63,000 miles on it. I purchased it with 48,000 miles. Mileage was on the higher side but it had the must have options I wanted (lighting package, running boards, Harman Kardon) and color combo (lunar blue, tan interior). Mercedes options every little thing out in these cars so finding a good used one with the options and color combo is like finding a needle in a haystack. I’ve read on here that the gas V6 ML350 lacked power but was very surprised to find it peppy and sufficient for everyones driving needs. (And I’m used to driving german V8’s).

In a year, I’ve only had the Service B done (spark plugs). Also, the rear brake calipers stuck and would not release. Got a free rear brake job (covered by CPO). The car is covered under CPO warranty till September 2019. I did not buy the ELW additional 2 years as I felt I would take the gamble since it does not have Airmatic suspension. I like to try and drive my cars into the ground or for as long as it is in my best financial interests. I plan on keeping the car whichever comes first. I owned a BMW 550i for one year and it was in the shop more often than not. I owned a used CPO Audi A8 for 8 years and it was pretty good up till 120,000 miles. Developed oil leaks, suspension parts wore out and front struts needed replacing. I was not going to spend $4,000 plus on a car worth maybe $6,000 in trade value. Never left me stranded and no electrical issues.

To me, reliability is relative term. It depends on the car, the history and sometimes is just a crapshoot. My buddy got his engine replaced on his low mileage Camry under warranty for oil burning issues. ALL cars can and will break down at some point. Toyotas and Hondas have their own issues as well. Maybe less statistically than German makes, but then again you can be the guy who dumps his money pit Highlander for a trouble free ML350. It happens. Point is, no one can predict the future.

CPO is the way to go unless you want to save $5,000 but then deal with the unknown and possibly replacing brakes, tires, reconditioning etc. Some of the trim pieces in the ML are a little flimsy (vanity mirrors, ac vent adjustments) and broke after purchase. CPO technically doesn’t cover but Mercedes goodwilled it after the fact. So you do get a few extra considerations with a CPO car.

I wouldn’t over think it it too much. Just get the ML if thats what you really want. A car is not a life changing decision like a house. Just be honest with yourself and realize a luxury ride comes with luxury costs at some point. I enjoy luxury, performance and German engineering. When I no longer can afford or I’m too old and no longer enjoy driving, then I’ll buy a Toyota. These cars aren’t Toyotas and they don’t engineer them to be. But if you want one of the best driving, most comfortable and safest mid size SUV’s on the road, get the ML. When deciding what to get the wife to transport 2 babies, safety was a big factor.

5 years down the road just reassess your situation. The car should be paid off and it will either still be going strong and you’ll continue to keep it or it will have become a headache then you trade in or sell private party for a profit and get something else.

Starfollower (06-16-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 E350 wagon cuprite brown; sold:2014 ML63; R500 Saks Edition; R500; more W124s than I can count
Originally Posted by Starfollower
I rest my case! (copied from new post today)

I just had to replace the air compressor on my 2013 ML63 with airmatic due to a hose leak, which most likely made it run until the bearings failed.

Anyways, I installed a new line, air compressor and intake filter and are stuck finding that dran compressor relay that was shipped and recommended
to be replaced with the new compressor.
I admit that I chuckled when I read this. If one failure makes your case, then you are perfectly correct in avoiding air suspension. Of course, I have yet to come across a car that has had no failures of any systems; that might limit your options accordingly. My only point was that newer air suspension appears to be fairly reliable and offers many benefits: better ride, better handling when the car is loaded up, and in my experience the lift capability comes in handy periodically. I also had air suspension on a Cayenne Turbo on also loved it. On the Porsche, it is so reliable that most buyers don't even consider it worthy of notice.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:05 AM

ML
ML(W166) soley because....no ipad screen.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,500 Likes on 1,105 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Diabolis

Just the opposite seems to be true today. 15 years ago the fleet average (age that original owners kept their cars) was 7.5 years. Today it's 11+. It's more important that dealership shops are profit centers. Many (most?) M-B dealerships are spending extra money attracting their Classic owners, and it's paying them well. These are cash customers, not warranty claims.
They can be expensive to maintain as they age, but not as expensive as a Honda Toyota, or Ford at the same age. Have you ever priced a Chevy power mirror switch? I just spent $3,000 on a service and strange shifting behavior on our old 85,000 mile 1995 S10 pickup, with a list still to go.
And M-B parts are more readily available. My dealers welcome and stock rebuilt parts, or can obtain them usually overnight if it's critical.

That said, I just traded our 2010 BlueTec for a 2014 Bluetec CPO. What a letdown. Handling was far superior on the '10, the seats were more comfortable, and even the Harman Kardon, which was matched to the W164 interior, was more better. I place the GLE in the same category - in those areas in particular.
The reason I bought the '14? It was the last year for the 3 liter Diesel, my '10 CPO expired, and I am hoping for a much better car with the '19s. My '14 is a place-marker.
Along the way I had a '15 Cayenne Diesel, which was great fun, but the switchgear was a mess and it got caught up in Dieselgate. Borrowed an X5 for a while, and was unimpressed to say the least.

Oh, and our ML's are really superior off-road to the Land Cruisers and Jeeps. It's fun to run across a gaggle of Jeepers, plotting to move through an obstacle, and ask to "play through," then watch their astonishment as the ML easily navigates that seemingly impossible obstacle or course. Surprised me, and I sold my FJ45 as a result.
One problem I see in seeking used ML/GLE's - dealers seem stuck on ordering strippers, so finding a leather car with a few niceties is nearly impossible. We looked for a year and were willing to drive 1,000 miles, but none showed up. (except our old '10, which was a mistake to sell. The dealer's GM snapped it up....)
Etienne Lau (07-06-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Potential purchase - ML or GLE