M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Brakes replacement feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 11:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
ML350d w166
Brakes replacement feedback

My front pads was due for replacement at 130K km back in March. I went to my local indy shop and get replaced some aftermarket pads. Immediately my braking experience went to unacceptable, I had a feeling that rotors are bended, lots of shaking, poor braking etc.

I started to do my homework reading and found on this valuable forum that original rotors only compatible with original pads due to heat resistance and thats why my rotors became overheated and bent.

So I learned my lesson and ordered set of original front brakes. While replacing fronts, I decided to replace rears as well. Unfortunately, only rear set that was available immediate was Zimmerman + Akebono pads.

Few weeks later here's my observation. Braking power back to perfect. The only thing bothering me - rear wheels has much more braking dust then fronts. Now I may need to plastidip all wheels in black...

Just an advice for folks who is due for brakes - choose originals, do not underestimate engineers who calculated best available solution for our comfort.

Last edited by dvakata; 06-20-2018 at 11:55 AM.