M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Power Tailgate Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml250 AMG BLUETEC
Power Tailgate Issue

i have a 2015 ML250 W166 and the power tailgate sometimes does not open fully via the key remote. It opens a little then closes again. this is intermitent but wondered if anyone has had this.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 139 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Callum21
i have a 2015 ML250 W166 and the power tailgate sometimes does not open fully via the key remote. It opens a little then closes again. this is intermitent but wondered if anyone has had this.
Yep. Have the same issues. Especially when car is parked on not even surface. I have to force it with hands ti get it open.
Its not a big deal but very annoying.
Not going to take it to a shop to fix it.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 E350 wagon cuprite brown; sold:2014 ML63; R500 Saks Edition; R500; more W124s than I can count
Same here....
Old 08-17-2018, 05:57 AM

Ml250 AMG BLUETEC
Any ideas on the cause ?
Old 02-04-2019, 10:05 PM

Ml400
Gate goes up but only to close half way. Read some where the right strut has the sensor and replacing it solves the problem. The stut is not much, 180 bucks online. Going to try it instead of dealer, 50 miles out of warranty by the way...
Old 02-26-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ML 350
I have an 2014 ML 350 power gate, I went to the dealer because the trunk lid would open then after 2-3 seconds it would drop 5 inches and sometimes it would randomly close.
They replaced the right side electric strut under CPO warranty but the left side which is gas strut they said is not covered. They wanted to charge $300 for the left side gas strut + $500 labor fee. MB dealer said it requires them to remove all the panels in the trunk to replace the left strut... really?
$800 for a gas strut replacement seemed outrageous so I declined and shopped amazon, bought the left side strut MB part # 1669803664 (which replaces the old part# 1669803464) brand new original Mercedes part for $150.

When I checked the left gas strut, it seemed the oil was leaked, so I was confident that the left strut was bad.

Replacement takes 5-10 minutes, you will need a flat screw driver. No need to remove any liners or panels to replace the left side strut.
1. Open the trunk lid
2. Remove the plastic cap at the bottom to reveal the locking mechanism
3. Fully open the trunk (even though your strut may not have the full force, it will still spring extend so its better to fully extend the strut before you remove)
4. Using the flat screw driver slightly pull out the "wire" to unlock the bottom strut, then pull the strut bottom. (Test this on your new strut to understand how it works)
5. Same for the upper locking mechanism, use the flat screw driver to pull the wire and unlock the top of the strut
6. New strut, push the top portion first and lock it in place
7. Do the same for the bottom
8. Replace the plastic cap at the bottom and you're done.

After replacing the trunk opens and closes as it should.

The following 3 users liked this post by caxis:
Babukb2 (02-27-2019), Doubleredrolex (03-03-2022), dvakata (12-08-2021)
Old 02-27-2019, 01:18 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
ML350
+1 to running into this problem once in a while and totally random too. I've also had times when the power tailgate just doesn't open at all, whether I use the remote button or push the button on the actual tailgate nothing happens, then I just have to pull it open by hand. Doesn't happen often and it's just an inconvenience when it does happen, not going to bother looking into replacing/repairing anything until it starts to happen too often. I more so attribute the problem to some sort of electrical gremlins.

great tip on the repair, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-27-2019, 03:03 PM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by caxis
I have an 2014 ML 350 power gate, I went to the dealer because the trunk lid would open then after 2-3 seconds it would drop 5 inches and sometimes it would randomly close.
They replaced the right side electric strut under CPO warranty but the left side which is gas strut they said is not covered. They wanted to charge $300 for the left side gas strut + $500 labor fee. MB dealer said it requires them to remove all the panels in the trunk to replace the left strut... really?
$800 for a gas strut replacement seemed outrageous so I declined and shopped amazon, bought the left side strut MB part # 1669803664 (which replaces the old part# 1669803464) brand new original Mercedes part for $150.

When I checked the left gas strut, it seemed the oil was leaked, so I was confident that the left strut was bad.

Replacement takes 5-10 minutes, you will need a flat screw driver. No need to remove any liners or panels to replace the left side strut.
1. Open the trunk lid
3. Fully open the trunk (even though your strut may not have the full force, it will still spring extend so its better to fully extend the strut before you remove)
4. Using the flat screw driver slightly pull out the "wire" to unlock the bottom strut, then pull the strut bottom. (Test this on your new strut to understand how it works)
5. Same for the upper locking mechanism, use the flat screw driver to pull the wire and unlock the top of the strut

Out of curiosity, why did they say the gas strut is not covered? Did you talk to the Service Manager? Everything in the CPO literature indicates it SHOULD be covered. Sounds like they didn't want to take the hit. Annoying, but glad you found a cheap alternative.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:28 PM

Ml 250 w166
Right side rear liftgate electric strut

[QUOTE=caxis;7691370]I have an 2014 ML 350 power gate, I went to the dealer because the trunk lid would open then after 2-3 seconds it would drop 5 inches and sometimes it would randomly close.

1. Open the trunk lid

What is the right side rear liftgate electric strut part number please? Thank you in advance.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ML 350
Originally Posted by we47b1me
Out of curiosity, why did they say the gas strut is not covered? Did you talk to the Service Manager? Everything in the CPO literature indicates it SHOULD be covered. Sounds like they didn't want to take the hit. Annoying, but glad you found a cheap alternative.
Yes, I spoke to the service manager and he said its weird for him too that the electric strut is covered and the gas is not but definitely was not covered. Since they replaced the working electric strut under CPO, I just let it go at that time.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
thanks for the info. I like to be armed with info before i enter the dealership

Mine will also droop or go all the way down if the front of the car is higher than the rear... level ground ok........ so we got a weak strut, unknown if left or right is bad.....

Mike
Old 12-06-2021, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
Originally Posted by caxis

1. Open the trunk lid

You are the sunshine. I was looking for it a lot, was not able to find the solution . I believe in my case electric one is faulty . I will check that one first
Old 12-06-2021, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
$800 ? Boy I tell ya MB is desperate... Had them re-sync the passenger seat last week... almost $500.... yikes... I had estimated maybe $100....

no more dealership for me... I'm not going to subsidize them...

They had 1 new car onsite. All the rest where used... like i said desperate...
Old 12-08-2021, 10:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
ML350d w166
2012 tailgate has died recently. I called dealership they quoted almost 2K to replace struts. End up getting aftermarket from CN and using this thread instructions to replace it myself - 20 min job, 200USD all in and broken plastic cups ( it's useless anyway)

Thanks guys!

The following users liked this post:
Doubleredrolex (03-03-2022)
Old 12-09-2021, 08:51 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
ML 350 Bluetec
And it works? There are a few of us that have done this and they will not lift at all. I may have a bad module, cannot tell for sure.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
ML350d w166
Originally Posted by Don_CA
And it works? There are a few of us that have done this and they will not lift at all. I may have a bad module, cannot tell for sure.
I bought a set of 2 struts, power strut wasn't function properly so I contact seller. He requested my VIN and sent a replacement which was ok