M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Ambient lighting options for 2015 ML350?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 11:33 PM

Received 135 Likes on 102 Posts
2015 SL550, 2017 GLS 550, 2010 G550, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Ambient lighting options for 2015 ML350?

I have a 2015 ML without the optional ambient lighting option. This means I have one overhead light, four door pull lights, and two front footwell lights that are so dim, they might as well not be there. The problem is made worse by my all black interior.

I've toyed around with the idea of getting some aftermarket kit, but they all look quite cheap. My guess is that it would be extremely difficult and costly to retrofit the stock ambient light package into the car. Do there exist good aftermarket kits? At the very least, could I install brighter footwell bulbs?

Old 01-16-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by JD101b
I have a 2015 ML without the optional ambient lighting option. This means I have one overhead light, four door pull lights, and two front footwell lights that are so dim, they might as well not be there. The problem is made worse by my all black interior.

I've toyed around with the idea of getting some aftermarket kit, but they all look quite cheap. My guess is that it would be extremely difficult and costly to retrofit the stock ambient light package into the car. Do there exist good aftermarket kits? At the very least, could I install brighter footwell bulbs?
Door pull lights? What are those specifically?

Yes, there is no way to retrofit the ambient lighting package into a car without it. You have to buy all new wood trim pieces, replace all the wiring harnesses, and then reprogram the system with STAR to enable the option. The retrofit options I've seen look cheap, but like you, still keep my eye open as I am in the same boat.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:33 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by we47b1me
Door pull lights? What are those specifically?

Yes, there is no way to retrofit the ambient lighting package into a car without it. You have to buy all new wood trim pieces, replace all the wiring harnesses, and then reprogram the system with STAR to enable the option. The retrofit options I've seen look cheap, but like you, still keep my eye open as I am in the same boat.
there is a user that retrofitted a ML350 without anything to a GLE63 AMG with the 3 color ambients and the heated/cooled cup holders, i forget his name, i think its christheswede. He is selling the door panels and center dash panels with the ambient lighting strips in them (im thinking) but if you go through with the retrofit as we47 said its a PITA. Plus, you wont have what other people have with code 876. If you ask me, best option is to wait it out and get a W166 (either ML/GLE) in the future with the option
Old 01-19-2019, 12:27 PM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
I tried to do something similar to my GLK, made new wire harnesses and discovered it is difficult to code in without Vedoc (vehicle documentation program). I ended up just buying another car with the option and changing out the foot well lights to factory LED.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
I tried to do something similar to my GLK, made new wire harnesses and discovered it is difficult to code in without Vedoc (vehicle documentation program). I ended up just buying another car with the option and changing out the foot well lights to factory LED.
Lack of Lighting package and Ambients are the one of the biggest complaints here so most people attempt to retrofit it. People dont realize that the option 876 is the hardest to retrofit and they should know prior to getting the car they should know what they need to search for before getting it. Thats how i got the logic 7 system in my car and i see people in these forums trying to retrofit that as well
Old 11-11-2019, 04:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes cls 250 W218
Originally Posted by JD101b

I have a cls 218 without ambient lighting, bought an aftermarket kit but it looked cheap(a fin you push in between the panel gaps). However I did discover that the ambient light tube is under the dash and in the doors, so there is just no led to light them up. It will be next summer by the time I get around to it but plan is to use the aftermarket kit to light up the factory light tubes. Easy way to check is just to take the driver's side dash (above the key) out, was only 2 nuts and see if the plastic tube is there. Won't be able to code it but hope to solder to the back of the cigarette lighter
Old 11-11-2019, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Danoely
I have a cls 218 without ambient lighting, bought an aftermarket kit but it looked cheap(a fin you push in between the panel gaps). However I did discover that the ambient light tube is under the dash and in the doors, so there is just no led to light them up. It will be next summer by the time I get around to it but plan is to use the aftermarket kit to light up the factory light tubes. Easy way to check is just to take the driver's side dash (above the key) out, was only 2 nuts and see if the plastic tube is there. Won't be able to code it but hope to solder to the back of the cigarette lighter
show us what it looks like when you finish.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:47 PM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
You tube has a kit from THAT MAKES IT EASY.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:46 AM

Mercedes cls 250 W218
Originally Posted by drwolf
show us what it looks like when you finish.
https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...ml#post7887328

Above is my preliminary investigation. Could be a while but will deffo update when done
Old 11-12-2019, 02:51 AM

Mercedes cls 250 W218
Originally Posted by Rainers
You tube has a kit from THAT MAKES IT EASY.

https://youtu.be/rDCW40JfEDs
My kit is similar (not wireless) I don't like how it looks during the day, you have a strip of plastic that is visible and looks terrible. Flex is an excellent you tube resource but in this case I am not sure. He doesn't wire the back doors which tells me it is difficult. I do like the fact they are wireless so less cable running everywhere. Not a fan of the footwell lights in the vid either as I think it's overkill. But to each his own