2013 ML350 ownership reflections.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes ML350
2013 ML350 ownership reflections.

Hi All,
Just wanted to write some insight after 5 years of ownership of the 2013 MB ML350 4Matic. Starting mileage 18K (car came off the lease) final mileage 49K. Before posting my thoughts about this car let me quickly run down the list of parts replaced (or work done):
-every single shock absorber was replaced twice on this car, some of them were replaced 3 times (Apparently MB outsourced the manufacturing to Mexico and has problems manufacturing simple shock absorbers).
-2 fuel injectors.
-4matic transfer case seals-simerings leaking - both sides. Super expensive to replace at the dealer.
-center console replaced as the passenger heated seat malfunctioned. This issue was never put to bed.
-Drivers foldable mirror broken motor.
-driver side seat cover.
-rubber stops in the rear suspension columns - original parts squeaking.
-rubber muffler hangers.
-Steering wheel column motor jamming.
-rear hatch power lift.
-transmission running really rough.
All parts were replaced with genuine MB replacement part, at the MB dealerships.Every year the vehicle received the MB recommended "maintenance". We owned this car for 30K miles and were super happy to get rid of it. This was the first and last MB product we owned. On top of the exceptionally crappy car, there was the dealer that somehow was under the impression that he is selling something extremely desirable. Some of the phrases Ive heard were: "...if the cost is a problem maybe this isnt a car for you.." - after pointing out that maintenance service B had 45 dollars in the actual parts and 1200 in labor, or "..if it makes any difference in your life, I can take couple hundreds of that invoice..." - this came from some jackass wearing a 25k rolex, trying to sell us another MB product.
All in all, this was the worst car I ever owned. I understand that at some point in distant past they were manufacturing reliable, well built vehicles and apparently the dealerships still live that myth or rather try to sell that myth, but I dont understand how they survive as a company. Thanks,
Old 01-16-2019, 11:36 PM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by Asw19flier
Hi All,
Just wanted to write some insight after 5 years of ownership of the 2013 MB ML350 4Matic. Starting mileage 18K (car came off the lease) final mileage 49K. Before posting my thoughts about this car let me quickly run down the list of parts replaced (or work done):
-every single shock absorber was replaced twice on this car, some of them were replaced 3 times (Apparently MB outsourced the manufacturing to Mexico and has problems manufacturing simple shock absorbers).
-2 fuel injectors.
-4matic transfer case seals-simerings leaking - both sides. Super expensive to replace at the dealer.
-center console replaced as the passenger heated seat malfunctioned. This issue was never put to bed.
-driver side seat cover.
-rubber muffler hangers.
-rear hatch power lift.
All parts were replaced with genuine MB replacement part, at the MB dealerships.Every year the vehicle received the MB recommended "maintenance". We owned this car for 30K miles and were super happy to get rid of it. This was the first and last MB product we owned. On top of the exceptionally crappy car, there was the dealer that somehow was under the impression that he is selling something extremely desirable. Some of the phrases Ive heard were: "...if the cost is a problem maybe this isnt a car for you.." - after pointing out that maintenance service B had 45 dollars in the actual parts and 1200 in labor, or "..if it makes any difference in your life, I can take couple hundreds of that invoice..." - this came from some jackass wearing a 25k rolex, trying to sell us another MB product.
All in all, this was the worst car I ever owned. I understand that at some point in distant past they were manufacturing reliable, well built vehicles and apparently the dealerships still live that myth or rather try to sell that myth, but I dont understand how they survive as a company. Thanks,
was this a cpo vehicle?
Old 01-17-2019, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
Man oh man, were you ever unlucky with this vehicle. Our truck has had "only" the DEF and EGR go out on it within 20k miles, but none of the stuff you listed. That's nuts and for what it's worth, I'm with you on the never buying a German vehicle ever again. Reliability is down the toilet and repairs are always $1k or multiples thereof. Our BMW is more of the same...
Old 01-17-2019, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Damn sorry to hear that!
Old 01-17-2019, 09:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Hi All,
-2 fuel injectors.
-driver side seat cover.
-rubber muffler hangers.
-rear hatch power lift.
Sorry to hear this, makes me cringe. If I was smart I'd forget about ML shopping. After owning 3 modern MB, I totally agree that quality is S**T. If it wasn't for a reasonable indy shop and a warranty I'd be broke.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Ouch, sorry for you bad experience. Not saying the W166 is a high reliability vehicle by an means, but I think your experience is abnormal. Good luck an hope your Ford is a reliable one.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
Mayback
Hi All,
-2 fuel injectors.
-driver side seat cover.
-rubber muffler hangers.
-rear hatch power lift.
Wow, that is alot. Was this vehicle purchased from a Mercedes dealer (CPO)? Were the shocks airmatic or the standard gas shocks?
Your profile say's that you have a 2012 ML350 but your post says 2013 ML350?

I have a 2014 ML350 4matic gas version with standard shocks purchased CPO with 48,000 miles and it currently has about 76,000 miles. Only trips to the dealer so far was scheduled maintenance, 2 sticking rear brake calipers (received whole new rear brake job covered by CPO) and a couple of trim pieces good willed by Mercedes. I also have an excellent service advisor that will go to bat for the customer (which is key).