M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

P246F Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
P246F Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 4

Did a search, found nothing? Anyone know where this sensor is located, pic or fiche would be great? Can this sensor be replaced without being coded in? Or should I just ignore it for awhile... see if the check wallet light clears as another REGEN may burn off excess carbon/soot?
Any info appreciated....
Old 02-14-2019, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 129 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
Originally Posted by Koenig1
......should I just ignore it for awhile... see if the check wallet light clears? .....
THAT was funny. It'd be funnier if I didn't own a BT as well.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:11 AM

2015 ML350 Bluetec
Well, drove over to the Dealer yesterday, didn't give me a lot of confidence! Service guy pretty much stated what I anticipated.... "could be anything, did you want us to book you in?" heheh!
Went over to the Parts Dept and looked at their fiches. There are 2 temp sensors 1 upstream, 1 downstream of the exhaust heat exchanger. I asked which one would be Sensor 4... no idea "as the parts sheet doesn't state it"! Next I asked the Parts Manager if he'd mind going and asking one of the Service techs if they might know? "hey, good idea"! Nope, the Service Tech he spoke with had no clue either!!! Well, you can guess my decision was to research it more myself, rather than PAY MB techs to learn/train themselves. I'm absolutely sure that as a last resort, replacing Both sensors will be cheaper than training the dealership... AR..RH!
Now, today, after thinking more about it, I'm just going to let it run another full REGEN, and hope that the code disappears...! Who knows? At least I don't have 4 starts left... at least not yet!
Old 02-15-2019, 12:01 PM

2015 ML350 Bluetec
Forgot to mention, I'm in Florida for the winter, learned something else out about MB Extended Warranty(now that I'm just over the 4yr/50Kmi/80K kms). My Canadian MB extended warranty is not accepted in the USA(& likely vice-versa)! Apparently I must pay upfront, then try to recoup when back in Canada... seems rather silly? maybe receive a check 8 months later? Not sure if that's something that all car manufacturers do? And when the subject was brought up, they had no idea whether this could be a warranty item... "call your dealer in Canada" WTF! The shop manager reminded the service adviser that when doing the paperwork, to use a 'different pricing' set up for warranty work external to the USA??? I tell you, the feeling of getting 'gouged' was on my mind.....!

Last edited by Koenig1; 02-15-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:51 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
ML350
i remember reading that somewhere in the warranty info, regarding canadian warranty is accepted in US but you have to pay then submit a claim to get your money back. Just seeing that also had my stomach churning, you're kind of left holding the bag until/if MB Canada approves and sends you money. :/

and let's face it, they will probably do everything they can to decline it/make you fight for it.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Keep going, MB. Give me yet another reason to never buy another Mercedes, or any high-end German vehicle for that matter.

We exported our X6 to the Cape Coral FL in November 2015 while it was still covered under the original warranty. Had work done on her (under warranty) in February 2016 at the dealership in Fort Myers FL. There was never a question of having to pay up front and then recoup the cost at a later date.
And make no mistake, BMW blows in their own German way. Just not with warranties
Old 02-16-2019, 07:28 PM

2015 ML350 Bluetec
Peter, HA.... the stealerships (BMW - MB) are right across from each other on 41,(i'm in Fort Myers) go figure. Yes, another 'feather in the cap' for MB...! Will be entertaining everything from a KIA(joking) on up for our next travel vehicle. Just absolute BS, and from what I'm reading, not alone! (shakes head) Now, my extended warranty was worked into the purchase, but... if my engine or tranny coughs... am I suppose to come up with $4>$10K down south, just to battle with MBCanada for reimbursement. Love the comfort, but there are others out there without the BS. Ridiculous!!!
The following users liked this post:
peter2772000 (02-17-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 09:09 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
ML350
If I were you and you had to get the work done down south, do everything possible to cover your tracks.

Id probably call MB Canada first, describe the situation, and make sure to find out exactly what info or what you need to ensure it is covered/compensated by Mb Canada. What work, notes, documentation, whatever they need to approve your claim. Ensure you note the date and time of the call, the name of the Rep, get some sort of documentation or reference number for the call/their notes for the call as well. Then ensure you get all the needed notes/proof from the US dealer doing the work. Keep all that info and ensure you cross your t's and dot your i's.

Then you have at least done everything possible to ensure it is covered and kind of pre approved by Mb Canada, so if they initially decline for some reason you have everything you need to escalate the issue and prove you did everything possible to ensure it was covered by warranty before doing the service/work.

Then hope for the best, and who knows maybe it will be smooth sailing and we are just stressing for nothing.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Koenig1
Peter, HA.... the stealerships (BMW - MB) are right across from each other on 41,(i'm in Fort Myers) go figure. Yes, another 'feather in the cap' for MB...! Will be entertaining everything from a KIA(joking) on up for our next travel vehicle. Just absolute BS, and from what I'm reading, not alone! (shakes head) Now, my extended warranty was worked into the purchase, but... if my engine or tranny coughs... am I suppose to come up with $4>$10K down south, just to battle with MBCanada for reimbursement. Love the comfort, but there are others out there without the BS. Ridiculous!!!
Said it before and will say it again; Next vehicles will be 'Merican or Yapanese. Why on earth would you pay double just to be treated like garbage/gouged?

And yeah. Little lady and I have often strolled thru the MB lot while waiting for our X6 to be serviced LOL

Last edited by peter2772000; 02-17-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:54 PM

2015 ML350 Bluetec
Well, thanks for all your posts. My plan is to let the 'check wallet light' ride.... maybe it will clear in a week or two with a long distance drive(enough to let the REGEN start/finish. If it stays, well, I'll deal with it at home.... on my Lift, LOL! will update later with a result.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:08 AM

2015 ML350 Bluetec
Update: Went ahead and ordered both gas temp sensors for passenger bank.(absolutely no MB tech knows where bank 2 sensor 4 lives, other than passenger side bank!) They called that the sensors had come in, but I was out of town. When my wife picked me up at the Airport there was that strong stink of the REGEN happening. Enough of a drive to complete the process. Check wallet light went out and has been out ever since!!! So, to those that get that code come up, be patient, take some longer drives and let the REGEN complete its course... hey, it won't cost you anything but patience!
I believe that code will come up if vehicle tries several times to complete the REGEN, but hasn't had the time to complete the burn(short trips).
The following 3 users liked this post by Koenig1:
Babukb2 (03-06-2019), peter2772000 (03-03-2019), resofter (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Bluetec
Did you find where bank 1 sensor 4 is located? I got the p246f code a few weeks ago and erased it a couple of times, but it comes back. Today I got the p246f and p2471 codes - both refer to EGT bank 1 sensor 4. I have an appointment next week to get Mercedes mechanic resolve the issue, but I would like to know where these sensors are located. A couple of weeks ago I checked the DEF and only found the bottom of the tank wet, so I filled it up. I wonder if the lack of DEF caused the sensors to go bad. Any suggestions would be appreciated.