M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

ML350 Malone tuned throttle blip on gear change, is it causing damage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2019 | 08:44 PM

ML350
ML350 Malone tuned throttle blip on gear change, is it causing damage?

a stage 1 Malone tune was applied to the car and also dpf/def deletes done. due to the deletes the exhaust is a little louder and i started noticing odd behaviour with gear changes. Initially engaged Malone to inquire, but they were no help, just said that the ECU tune does nothing with the TCU and it would not affect the shifting, since then they have stopped responding.

The car may have done this before, but i just never noticed, now that the exhaust is louder i happened to notice it and then watched for it more often. It seems to happen only when the car is still warming up and not at full operating temp. Only in the earlier gears, 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 (and not on each one always), also depends how hard im pressing on the gas whether it happens or not. gears 4 - 7 are always fine, and once the car is fully warm i dont believe i see this happening at all on any gear change. I just want to make sure no damage is occurring due to the weird shifting behaviour.

Here is a recorded video and you can only see it happen when the car shifts from 2 to 3 in this vid. Small blip up about 200 rpm as the car changes gears 2 to 3.

a buddy who had Jettas that were tuned mentioned it may be due to the higher torque and a TCU/dsg tune may be required to fix it to re learn the car for the higher hp/torque. If this isnt causing damage then i dont care to look into and pay for another tune, also i didnt really see any tcu/dsg tunes at least offered/listed on the Malone site for Mercedes.

I have done the Reset Transmission Adaptive Shifting procedure someone recommended, but that didnt change how the car shifts, it just adjusted the shifting points based on my driving (whether it shifts higher or lower in the rpm)

i may look into getting new transmission fluid, but i may try to diy that and do it in the summer, not sure if that would help with this specific behaviour.

let me know your thoughts, whether this is bad and causing damage or should be fine

appreciate any input
Old 02-24-2019 | 11:54 PM

ML350
bump, no thoughts/opinions out there?
Old 02-25-2019 | 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
I'd go back to the shop which did the tune and insist they do something.
Old 02-25-2019 | 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
I am not saying it is normal, but my 2014 Bluetec (stock) has the same 3-4 engine flare occasionally. I just did a fluid and filter change and it improved it, but it is still there. May be as simple as a TCU software update is needed. I am going to have my dealer take a look at it soon.

It is normal for the 7G to have that engine flare through most gear changes until warm. It is the torque converter clutch not locking that causes it. It is designed to help get the fluid up to temp faster and is normal operation.

What are your thoughts on the Malone tune and delete overall?

Last edited by johnand; 02-25-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-25-2019 | 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Sluggish / jerky shifting on the 722.9 transmission when cold is a known issue. If there are no transmission error codes and the fluid level is good, the fix is a simple TCU reflash.
Old 02-26-2019 | 12:32 AM

ML350
I've still yet to call the shop back, but i did contact Malone. Their response was simply that the tune only does something to the ECU and the TCU was untouched and its not possible for the tune to have caused this. i replied to them stating i didn’t ever have this issue before the tune, and also sent them that video, and I got no response back (that was sent Feb 11). I was going to reach out to the shop, and may still do so, but preventing me is the fact that they will say the same thing or refer me to Malone since technically it is their product, also the fact that the shop is about 30 mins away from me, so even if i drive over there i can't show him since the car will be warm by then and will shift fine.

I don’t think i could take the car now to an MB dealer for a TCU reflash due to the exhaust work, deletes, and tune that has been done, if anything I would have to find another shop that would be able to do it, maybe the same place that i got the tune at.

i mainly don’t want to put more money into this tune/delete and kinda just want to know, if i leave it as is and it flares a little like that on a few gear changes before it is fully warm, is this causing some sort of damage/extra wear that may cost me more money in the long run due to a failed transmission or other part or something?

here are my thoughts on the malone tune/delete:
overall i am happy with the fact that i will have peace of mind/less repair costs due to the emission system problems, and i am very happy with the increased hp/torque. there is more pull throughout the rpm range and the car is more fun to drive. the only downside i see is the fact that the car is a little louder and that on really cold days if the engine is cold you do get a bit of smell (sometimes inside the car if the wind happens to blow the exhaust towards the vehicle). once the engine is fully warmed up though the smell is pretty much gone and so is any exhaust/smoke coming out of the tailpipe. some may like the louder exhaust, but i feel the louder exhaust and the smell kind of take away from the whole luxurious Mercedes experience. Almost a bit of a pickup truck sound and smell now (smell only on cold engine on cold days). Mind you plenty of times i actually really like the deeper exhaust sound when i am flooring it and its pushing me back into my seat =

fuel mileage is still TBD since i never owned this car last winter and don’t have a fair comparison for mileage in freezing cold temps like we’ve been getting, but it does look to be better even in these cold temps when going by the estimated range and l/100km. I have also on the most recent tank dumped a whole quart of BG 245 in the tank with hopes that it will clean up the fuel system a bit and help with both exhaust/smell and mileage.

Where i am a bit disappointed/unhappy is just the whole experience. Malone has been poor at responding and eventually just ignored me. Malone was also incorrect/unaware of the proper location of the connectors to disconnect for the EGR and SCR adblue controller. It was due to the help i received on this forum that i was able to locate everything properly and disconnect it (as the Malone site suggests to do). They just told me to go back to the mechanic if I’m unsure, but they did send me back one of my photos and circled a totally wrong area for the egr connector that i was supposed to disconnect, maybe i should tell them to go back to their mechanic lol. Also, the Malone site is just the software stuff, nowhere there does it mention actual exhaust work (unless i missed it). Only through reading a lot on this and other websites/forums was i aware that if the deletes were done, the dpf is subject to being plugged and possible future problems could occur. When talking to the shop/mechanic i asked about a pipe, and when i asked him if an aftermarket pipe isn’t put on when the deletes are done, wouldn’t the dpf clog and cause issues, his response was "of course!". The shop/mechanic i have been dealing with has been great and i wouldn’t hesitate to go back ( i did actually go back for something and they fixed it up no questions asked and did it right on the spot free of charge), but i also kinda wonder if i wasn’t informed and i didn’t ask about the pipe, would he have thought to bring it up or would he have just done the deletes and let me go on my merry way to run into a problem in the future.

In another thread someone mentioned Malone's tunes aren’t the greatest as they just increase the amount of fuel being sprayed in and there are more modern ways to tune cars and get good results, this may be why there is a bit of a smell since the excess fuel isn’t burning off when the engine isn’t fully hot. I still went with them since i wanted somewhere fairly close that would be able to do all the work (deletes and exhaust work) at once and i still read plenty of positive things about Malone.

For my next car if i will do any tuning, i probably would not go with Malone, I'll see what else is out there and hope the others are better.

If you have any more, or some more specific questions let me know.
Old 02-26-2019 | 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Well... you put an aftermarket tune (an illegal one to boot, which severely limits your recourse options) and other modifications on the car, so I am afraid you're at their mercy now.

Having said that, Mercedes will certainly service it, but you are going to be paying out of pocket for everything. If there was any warranty left on the vehicle you have certainly voided it, but if you specifically ask them to check the transmission (fluid level, stored error codes etc. and reflash the TCU), they will still do so at your cost. While it is probably true that the tune you got didn't flash the TCU, the TCU constantly adjusts the transmission operation based on a large number of parameters (including engine output and MAF readings for example which would have undoubtedly changed) so it is quite likely responding to the tune.
Old 02-26-2019 | 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Well... you put an aftermarket tune (an illegal one to boot, which severely limits your recourse options) and other modifications on the car, so I am afraid you're at their mercy now.

Having said that, Mercedes will certainly service it, but you are going to be paying out of pocket for everything. If there was any warranty left on the vehicle you have certainly voided it, but if you specifically ask them to check the transmission (fluid level, stored error codes etc. and reflash the TCU), they will still do so at your cost. While it is probably true that the tune you got didn't flash the TCU, the TCU constantly adjusts the transmission operation based on a large number of parameters (including engine output and MAF readings for example which would have undoubtedly changed) so it is quite likely responding to the tune.
Agreed. Just take it to a Mercedes dealer and have them update the TCU software at your expense. Shouldn't be more than a couple hours labor. Also having owned several tuned vehicles, a few of them modern, they do in fact affect the transmission. If I were to tune a modern vehicle again, I would look for a tune that has a corresponding TCU tune as well. Those are few and far between, unfortunately.

Having said that, I would highly recommend a transmission fluid and filter change. IMO, the 75K interval on the 7G+ is far too long, especially on a tuned W166. Not sure your mileage, but I would recommend halving the interval. Just did mine at 47K and there was a good amount of oxidation and a fair amount of metal on magnet, bottom of pan, and filter. I sent in a sample for analysis.

Yesterday was the 1st time I have driven mine long distance since the change, and the transmission behaves much better when cold, and significantly reduced the frequency of the 3-4 flare when at normal temperature.
Old 02-27-2019 | 01:08 AM

ML350
ya I couldn't find anything regarding a TCU tune for this car. the closest thing I found was Renntech offering a transmission upgrade (https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...t-722-9-detail). they take it apart and install some better internals, do a flush and filter change as well I think, was about $3500 but there was no mention of a TCU flash or retune.

I was planning to get a transmission filter and fluid change anyway, so this just gives me a reason to do that sooner. did you do it yourself or have a shop do it?
I was debating doing it myself but I'm unsure of how hard it is or whether it will be worth the hassle. Saw some kits online for around $120-$150 USD that included the oil, gasket, and filter.

Today I popped into one of my mechanics and inquired about transmission stuff. He said he can't touch TCU software as Mercedes has somehow blocked or prevented access for him/his dealer to get the newest software (he said they used to be able to but not anymore). He said he thinks Mercedes stopped providing software to all non-Mercedes dealers maybe and he was pretty sure that the only way I could get an update was at the actual Mercedes dealership.

So then I went by my local MB dealer also and talked to a service advisor. He pulled up my VIN and said there are no updates or any outstanding bulletins or recalls for my vehicle or transmission. I described to him what was happening and that I was inquiring about a TCU reflash. His response was that their systems don't allow them to flash the same version software so they wouldn't be able to do that for me since there is no newer version. Then he said id basically have to bring it in and let them take it for a drive and then see what they could do about it.

Not sure if the advisor was wrong or too lazy to look into it more/talk to a mechanic, or if maybe I didn't talk to him/ask him using the proper terminology to get a real response and estimate on what it would cost.

any suggestions? trying to avoid taking it in for them to just look at it. they test drive it and realize it's been tuned/modified and just tell me they can't help me, but then also charge me for their test drive/diagnostic.

Either way I will get a fluid and filter change on the transmission. I'll do that first and see if it helps, but id like to know what the cost would be from the dealer for the TCU reflash in case that doesn't help/fix it.

Also, how would a flash of the same software fix the problem (since i have the newest version)? does it somehow initiate the transmission to also relearn how it shifts based on the new power it's getting?
Old 03-01-2019 | 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Why not try a simple TCU reset??

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/
Old 03-02-2019 | 07:22 PM

ML350
Tried that. I wouldn't necessarily call that procedure a TCU reset. It is a reset of the shifting points. Based on your driving whether the car will shift higher or lower in the rpm range. Sportier driving VS eco driving styles.

I wish you could do some sort of TCU reboot/reset as that may fix the issue. Assuming the transmission has to re adapt to the torque due to the tune.

I am going to get the transmission fluid and filter changed as step 1. Will book in a shop this week and see if it helps. I would love to do it DIY but it looks like too much hassle and extra tools I would need for my tiny garage.

We'll see after that how it behaves.

I'll post an update after that is done.
Old 03-03-2019 | 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For what it's worth, my 2014 GC SRT would do the same thing on a 1st-2nd shift first thing in the am, and the spoiled beotch was garaged her whole life. Never became an issue....
The following users liked this post:
Babukb2 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019 | 05:11 PM

Ml350 bluetec
Don't see anything wrong with that behaviour when it's cold. I now my 2014 ML 350 Bluetec does the same thing. I think it's how MB get's the engine and transmission to warm up as fast as possible. I used to drive a 2013 VW Jetta TDI which had the dual clutch transmission, and YES I do miss the very very snappy shift from the DC. And hey, you're driving essentially a slush box transmission.
Babukb2 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019 | 01:07 AM

ML350
thanks for the reassurance.

It is totally possible my car also did this before the tune when it was cold but I may have just never noticed it. I'm booked in next week for a transmission fluid and filter change, probably good to do anyways since i am approaching 100k km. If this still happens after the service ill just ignore it and assume its normal behaviour. Malone actually responded back to my email finally, just asking that i unplug the intake swirl valve/flap and see if that helps, but I've already unplugged the EGR.

total side topic now but im also trying to go through and complete all fluid and filter changes.

Done already:
new engine oil + filter
front and rear differential, and transfer case fluids were changed back in march 2018

Pending:
new engine air filters i have and waiting to change on a nice weekend.
new combination and dust filter i also have and waiting to change on a nice weekend.
fuel filter i'm looking to order and change. took a look at some DIY and looks like a PITA to do because of that silver tube running over top of it, the tube leads to the turbo and i think it blocks in the fuel filter
transmission fluid + filter and torque converter fluid change booked for next week
brake fluid ill change when i put in new front rotors and brakes, once the front pads wear out a bit more, maybe a month or 2

Unsure of and still researching into:
coolant change
power steering fluid

anything I may have missed?
Old 03-06-2019 | 08:10 AM

Ml350 bluetec
There is no power steering fluid to change on this vehicle, it uses electric power steering.
Babukb2 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019 | 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yup, I always change the power in my power steering LOL

Babuk, I made the same mistake awhile back as well *wink*
Babukb2 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019 | 12:08 AM

ML350
haha, nice, well at least that's 1 less thing off my mind!
Old 04-01-2019 | 06:15 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec, 1966 Ford Mustang Convertible (sold)
It was the same thing for my 2013 ml350 Bluetec. Once I did the transmission fluid and filter change, the difference was night and day. I would get that done asap, especially if you have a lot of mileage and it has never been done.

Last edited by Potrice; 08-03-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2019 | 09:07 PM

ML350
i got the transmission + torque converter fluid changed and transmission filter
maybe a slight change in behaviour, but it still flares up a bit on some of the lower gear changes, not a night and day difference like mentioned by some others

im just going to assume its due to the tune and not worry about it anymore
Old 04-05-2019 | 09:12 PM

ML320
Tune and Transmission

Originally Posted by Babukb2
i got the transmission + torque converter fluid changed and transmission filter
maybe a slight change in behaviour, but it still flares up a bit on some of the lower gear changes, not a night and day difference like mentioned by some others

im just going to assume its due to the tune and not worry about it anymore
Thank you for contributing all the information.

I have a Brabus tune on my 2012 W-166 Bluetec. It is a Tuning Box. Occasionally, I feel a rough shift decelerating to a slow speed and then accelerating. There is a hesitation in the shifts and you don’t have a smooth acceleration at lighter throttle settings.

Shortly, I will be doing the Transmission Fluid/Filter, Front and Rear Differential Fluids, and Transfer Case fluids and will report back on any improvement.

FWIW, regarding the Malone tune. I went to the Malone Shop in Vancouver last year regarding a DPF delete on a VW. They were responsive. I am not sure if anyone other than Mark Malone can actually perform or modify the tunes. I had originally planned to get a VW Malone ECU and Transmission Tune, but was told by Malone the transmission tune was not required. I have a SPORT and DRIVE mode and the system will throw a code if rapidly accelerated in the DRIVE mode at lower RPM’s.
Old 04-06-2019 | 01:12 AM

ML350
np, i get soo much info and help from this forum, just hoping to contribute some back

your shifting issues sound more/worse than mine. there was nothing rough with mine, it just flared up a little when shifting. acceleration/deceleration and everything else was smooth and normal.

i did have the differentials and transfer case fluids changed a year ago, and now recently had the transmission and torque converter so i think i should be good.

good luck with your issue and post an update after the fluid/filter change