M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

(New project) Tail Lights Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 02:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes ML350
(New project) Tail Lights Update

I have been looking for a helpful way start this little project and couldn’t find any even there is something who did posted something about his tails upgrade long time ago but he just posted a pics how it looks like.. so it’s nice to be detailed for people who want help but l risk it and started by myself and l know a little about electrical issues so l did it and took me 2/5 days because l don’t have a garage and l try to work on it on the morning avoiding mosquitos in the evening so the GLE tails fits exactly the same no modifications no cuts and my advice for folks who doesn’t know how anything about electronic issues so l recommend you to buy the GLE tails plug connectors too so l didn’t buy and l had to cut the ML tail plug that goes to the tail and the ML has 4 wires only and the new GLE tails has 6 pins (wires) so you have to keep switching the wires around until you find the correct light up and you will end up with 1 wire left from the ML connector l mean the black which’s the negative so you have to blush it to the breaks and you will need more than 4 resistors so l did put 4 resistors on each wire and l will order 2 more for the reverse led lights and you have to take the positive revers light from back door because the old ml reverse light located there and the new GLE reverse is on the sides so you will need to get the wire from there get it around the corner trim to the tail sides it’s a little hard but you can do it just be patient and l still have the lights messages on my dash so l still need more resistors to put on each wire even on the parking light which both old ml and GLE is led but things has changed now so its needed and l will post some pics to show different between both tail lights and l will post a video to show how to do it on my Facebook as soon as l finish with the rest of the resistors and turn the light messages on the dash off so it will be clean work and everything is good and everyone can do it too .

Old 04-25-2019, 07:02 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by Sam Waltz
I have been looking for a helpful way start this little project and couldn’t find any even there is something who did posted something about his tails upgrade long time ago but he just posted a pics how it looks like.. so it’s nice to be detailed for people who want help but l risk it and started by myself and l know a little about electrical issues so l did it and took me 2/5 days because l don’t have a garage and l try to work on it on the morning avoiding mosquitos in the evening so the GLE tails fits exactly the same no modifications no cuts and my advice for folks who doesn’t know how anything about electronic issues so l recommend you to buy the GLE tails plug connectors too so l didn’t buy and l had to cut the ML tail plug that goes to the tail and the ML has 4 wires only and the new GLE tails has 6 pins (wires) so you have to keep switching the wires around until you find the correct light up and you will end up with 1 wire left from the ML connector l mean the black which’s the negative so you have to blush it to the breaks and you will need more than 4 resistors so l did put 4 resistors on each wire and l will order 2 more for the reverse led lights and you have to take the positive revers light from back door because the old ml reverse light located there and the new GLE reverse is on the sides so you will need to get the wire from there get it around the corner trim to the tail sides it’s a little hard but you can do it just be patient and l still have the lights messages on my dash so l still need more resistors to put on each wire even on the parking light which both old ml and GLE is led but things has changed now so its needed and l will post some pics to show different between both tail lights and l will post a video to show how to do it on my Facebook as soon as l finish with the rest of the resistors and turn the light messages on the dash off so it will be clean work and everything is good and everyone can do it too .

Nice work.. Do your reverse lights work as well?
The following users liked this post:
Sam Waltz (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 09:56 PM

Mercedes ML350
Yes the reverse works as it supposed to
Old 05-16-2019, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes Ml,w166,2015, 350
Gle tail lights, Hi Sam

I can say you did a great job and a great post here. My only question, please is if you can tell me how can i find you on facebook to watch the video , before i do mine. I think will be more clear of what i’m doing .my tail lights comes with the adaptor plug as well. So should be easier to wire in.
Thanks very much and again you did a great job there.
My respect.
george
Old 05-17-2019, 12:32 AM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230

Next step -- getting the VW badging off of the back of your truck
Sam Waltz (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 04:24 AM

Mercedes ML350
Hi George

hi friend! My fb is Sam Waltz you can contact me anytime thanks

regards .
Old 05-23-2019, 11:20 PM

Mercedes ML350
Hi friend

Originally Posted by we47b1me
Next step -- getting the VW badging off of the back of your truck
lol l did not get the VW badging!
Old 05-24-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
lol l did not get the VW badging!
he's referring to that thing that says "voltswagon" next to the left brake light
Old 05-24-2019, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
You have a vw badge on your car.

I hate any dealer or excess badging sooo...

get that **** outta here!
Sam Waltz (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 09:46 PM

Mercedes ML350
So true

Originally Posted by drwolf
he's referring to that thing that says "voltswagon" next to the left brake light
lol l didn’t pay attention to the badge of the vw though and l think it’s been there for years and l didn’t even know lol thx for the note buddy! I hate it too trust me in they do that a lot in the south and l have never seen any dealer put their names on the car body in Europe where lm from . Also lm working on the HID Europe style headlights l got for great price on eBay ! I’m working on a new HID plug cuz it came with the Halogen kind . But they fit exactly the same

regards . Sam.w
Old 05-24-2019, 09:48 PM

Mercedes ML350
I agree

Originally Posted by kombifan
You have a vw badge on your car.

I hate any dealer or excess badging sooo...

get that **** outta here!
l really didn’t pay attention to that ugly sticker dealer name dude and lm glad u guys saw it though thx !😃