M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Bilstien Shock Upgrade B6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2020 | 12:09 PM

E550 Cab, ML350, CLK63BS - Dearly Departed: CLK55
Bilstien Shock Upgrade B6

Hi MB ML350 Standard Spring Community -

As an FYI, I had a blown front strut. Dealer wanted dealer money to replace one strut (SACHS brand). With that price known, I figured I could do all 4 for the price of one if I supplied the labor. I bought the car used (spent most of its life as a condo car in FL) out of Long Island. I suspect the early failure was due to the crater size drain covers on the highway in Long Island (if you have driven in and around NYC you know what I am talking about). Needless to say, after a little research I settled on Bilstien HD B6's on all 4 corners as I did not want to alter the ride height. The car has ~50,000 miles at the time of the swap. Here are my driving impressions thus far after putting about 3,000+ miles on it:

1) Drastically reduces nose dive under heavy breaking (bonus, brakes seem to be working more efficiently).
2) Less body roll in S turns/transitional turns from one side to another.
3) More connected feeling to the road. If you are a driver you know what I am talking about here.
4) Firmer, but not in a bad way, ride.
5) Passes the "wife" test as it is her car (she does not notice that much of a difference and is not complaining about the ride). She still loves her car so that is a plus.
6) The ONLY harshness that is noticeably different is true perpendicular expansion joints. These are met with a firm (but not harsh) thump. On a recent drive south (1400 miles) I hit just three such joints where I noticed a difference between the Sachs and Bilstien. The Sachs would have absorbed the joint more softly.

Bottom line...these are the shocks that MB should have put on the vehicle to begin with. Yes, the car is not as "floaty" or cloud-like but the driving experience is vastly improved. There is a noticeable difference in build quality favoring the Bilstien. I purchased the gear from FCP Euro (great customer service). My MB dealer did the alignment afterwards and they were asking about my first impressions. I think if the dealer could install these as an aftermarket HD option/upgrade they would (MB USA / Bilstien are you listening?). The service tech was keen to hear the "float" was taken out of the car as many people have complained about this on the standard models since new.

The only tool I needed to add to the garage was a 1/2 impact to get the front axles off. You will need an assortment of torque wrenches and a big breaker bar (to get the +degrees needed for proper torque on the new axle nuts). Also, don't forget the suspension components are torqued at a vehicle loaded (as if on the ground) stance.

Yes, I'd recommend these shocks to anyone in my situation. Happy (better) driving.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrBlackCLK55:
peter2772000 (01-18-2020), S-Prihadi (02-03-2020)
Old 01-02-2020 | 03:00 PM

'15 C400 and '15 ML350
Thank you for the review and feedback, im at 76k with the wife's ML and looking to replace shocks soon, will definitely give these a try now as i dont like how floaty the stock suspension is and the nose dive is quite noticeable during a panic stop.
Old 01-04-2020 | 11:29 PM
Veteran: Air Force

2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
thanks for the review. I need to replace the hem on my ML also.

Last edited by Isawelvis; 01-04-2020 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-2020 | 05:18 PM

2013 ML350
Originally Posted by MrBlackCLK55
Hi MB ML350 Standard Spring Community -

As an FYI, I had a blown front strut. Dealer wanted dealer money to replace one strut (SACHS brand). With that price known, I figured I could do all 4 for the price of one if I supplied the labor. I bought the car used (spent most of its life as a condo car in FL) out of Long Island. I suspect the early failure was due to the crater size drain covers on the highway in Long Island (if you have driven in and around NYC you know what I am talking about). Needless to say, after a little research I settled on Bilstien HD B6's on all 4 corners as I did not want to alter the ride height. The car has ~50,000 miles at the time of the swap. Here are my driving impressions thus far after putting about 3,000+ miles on it:

1) Drastically reduces nose dive under heavy breaking (bonus, brakes seem to be working more efficiently).
2) Less body roll in S turns/transitional turns from one side to another.
3) More connected feeling to the road. If you are a driver you know what I am talking about here.
4) Firmer, but not in a bad way, ride.
5) Passes the "wife" test as it is her car (she does not notice that much of a difference and is not complaining about the ride). She still loves her car so that is a plus.
6) The ONLY harshness that is noticeably different is true perpendicular expansion joints. These are met with a firm (but not harsh) thump. On a recent drive south (1400 miles) I hit just three such joints where I noticed a difference between the Sachs and Bilstien. The Sachs would have absorbed the joint more softly.

Bottom line...these are the shocks that MB should have put on the vehicle to begin with. Yes, the car is not as "floaty" or cloud-like but the driving experience is vastly improved. There is a noticeable difference in build quality favoring the Bilstien. I purchased the gear from FCP Euro (great customer service). My MB dealer did the alignment afterwards and they were asking about my first impressions. I think if the dealer could install these as an aftermarket HD option/upgrade they would (MB USA / Bilstien are you listening?). The service tech was keen to hear the "float" was taken out of the car as many people have complained about this on the standard models since new.

The only tool I needed to add to the garage was a 1/2 impact to get the front axles off. You will need an assortment of torque wrenches and a big breaker bar (to get the +degrees needed for proper torque on the new axle nuts). Also, don't forget the suspension components are torqued at a vehicle loaded (as if on the ground) stance.

Yes, I'd recommend these shocks to anyone in my situation. Happy (better) driving.
Good Summary MrBlackCLK - I too upgraded to B6 Bilstein paired with H&R springs and it certainly transforms the vehicle. Suspension/ride is subjective, but IMO the stock set-up is softer than an 1982 Buick I concur this certainly improves on the "floaty ride complaint" associated with the stock dampers.
Old 03-09-2020 | 09:09 AM

W166
Good write-up and thanks for sharing.
I changed the rears shocks and went with the B6, and getting ready to add to the front. I am trying to order parts for the front shocks, but I have question about the front coil over assembly. Anybody's experiences or thoughts would be appreciated.
FCP website shows the strut mount for the 164 as compatible on the 166.https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...-b1-1643200026
Bilstein USA does not indicate that they make a stock mount for the 166.
MB has separate part #s for the two cars stock mount 1643200026 and 1663200326

I understand that the strut mount and parts can be reused. However, I like to replace parts subject to potential wear when I making repairs, with respect to the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Main goal here, I don't want to do all the work to replace an old noisy shock, only to create a new noise.

Could anybody provide a parts list for required, and optional, parts for rebuild and replacement of the coil over assembly?
Has anybody used the FCP strut mount on a 166? Or, are all of the old parts generally good i.e. no rubber shims?

Thanks in advance
J
Old 03-17-2020 | 06:29 PM

If memory serves, they were a hard plastic shims and I believe a very thin rubber membrane b/w the shims and body cup. I did not replace any of mine. The shims and rubber seemed like they were in great shape. I read somewhere (again - if memory serves) that the shims were used for ride height. I measured mine prior to installation and after installation and a little spirited driving and height was not impacted with the new Bilstien parts.

Don't forget to get a dealer alignment after your wrenching.
Old 03-17-2020 | 06:33 PM

FYI, by "measure" I mean the center cap of the wheel to the bottom of the fender arch. You need to settle the suspension after installation to get an accurate reading. A quick spirited drive of side to side and accel/decel will settle the installed parts prior to getting the alignment.
Old 03-17-2020 | 07:07 PM

W166
Much appreciated.
Alignment is absolutely planed.

Good to here your shims, inserts, were in good shape. I'm hoping that I don't find any worn parts while I have this taken apart.

In case anybody else comes to the question, FCP Euro was very helpful identifying the parts. Referencing my VIN - he was able to identify the 1643200026 bilstein shock mount as the appropriate part # for my W166.

I'll reply when I see how it all works out. Parts are on the way.
Old 05-04-2020 | 02:57 PM

W166
Originally Posted by shinyfornow
Much appreciated.

In case anybody else comes to the question, FCP Euro was very helpful identifying the parts. Referencing my VIN - he was able to identify the 1643200026 bilstein shock mount as the appropriate part # for my W166.
I finished the Bilstein install in April, and wanted to circle back. The Bistein shock mount is not an appropriate fit for my W166. The 3 mount bolts are smaller than the mount bolts on my W166. While everything lined up, the two nearly identical mounts are not the same.

Re-using the existing mounts I ended up with the front end at the same level, and had the alignment checked with only minor adjustments. Ride, don't wait or second guess the B6. The ride is firm and much more stable for the vehicle, with out sacrificing comfort. Our is a 2wd Base, and the change was straight forward and simple as any other 2wd suspension. I had a local shop swap the shocks in the assembly, took them 30 minutes and only cost $50, well worth it.
Old 06-13-2020 | 03:10 PM
Veteran: Air Force

2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Has anyone tried the B6 in frear and regular non sport/heavy duty on the front. Seems that's how people used to do cars in the past. this keeps ride from being too harsh.
Old 09-29-2021 | 04:04 PM

2015 ml350, 2010 ML350
Love, Love, Love the B6's. and i have only done the fronts, the rear's are on backorder. Just install them on my 2015 ML350 with Sports Package and 90K. Better than new. Install is typical of any coil-over strut. Just have to make room to get the struts in and out. You don't have to remove the axle nut, just pop the axle from the 4-matic, I find it easier.

Last edited by nielsenml; 09-29-2021 at 04:06 PM.