M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2024 | 05:36 PM

ML350
Transmission problem

Hello all, new here and just wanted to ask for some advice.
i had a bit of a problem with the automatic transmission on my 2012 ML350, driving normally the first couple of gear changes were smooth, but the 3rd and 4th gear the revs flared up before changing, a bit like slipping the clutch on a manual.
my mechanic friend said he would do a ATF change and asked me to source the ATF, I rang GM auto supplies, gave them my reg but they said they don’t have a code for that, I then tried Euro Car parts, again gave my registration and they said yes it’s showing as it’s 236.14 and they had it in stock. He wasn’t draining the Torque Converter so asked me to get 6 litres.
he did the oil change and initially (for about 15 mins) it drove like new, but then went back to like it was before, only worse. The mechanic said maybe run it to get it up to a higher temperature and check the levels again. He checked it and it was dripping out a touch, he said it’s filled to level (no dipstick on my model, just fill to level.) he said we can do another ATF change and basically use the 2 day ATF as a flush, we did it again and it’s gone completely now, my wife was on the motorway and when she came off it was stuck in 7th gear, she managed to get home and shut engine down, I went out later in the evening after leaving it 3hrs, when I put it in drive or reverse it seems to jump into gear, I took it for a quick 2 min drive and it didn’t get out of 1st gear, even using the gear paddles on the steering wheel, it changed gears on the display but it didn’t actually physically change gears, took it home and it’s been parked up for 2 days. I have been reading on this forum that the ATF I should have been using is 236.15 my car has the stop/start. Could using the wrong ATF cause this to happen? Would draining it and putting the correct oil in help? Or is the gearbox goosed?
i did have an option on a 2014 ML250 gearbox from a friend if needed, but also wanted to check the gearbox in a ML250 is the same as mine in a ML350?
thank you for any help
a frustrated ML driver.
Old 02-19-2024 | 06:21 AM

2010 ML550 VIN WDC1641722A564750, 2010 B180
Have you scanned it for codes? That needs to be done as part of the diagnosis.
Old 02-20-2024 | 01:45 PM

ML350
Well we drained all the transmission fluid including the torque converter, and refilled today with the correct fluid (236.15) but gears are exactly the same, seems stuck in 1st gear and doesn’t change at all, anything that we could have done wrong?.Any other suggestions anyone can offer, or is it a new gearbox? Thank you.
Old 02-20-2024 | 02:36 PM

86 190E 2.3, 2014 ML350 Bluetec
Pretty much no transmission made in the last century has ever benefited from a transmission flush after living most of its life with the same fluid, that should not have been your first course of action. The TCU will make compensations to the valve body based on trans fluid viscosity. You need to have it scanned with Xentry by someone who knows how to use it.
The following 2 users liked this post by mike919:
BlackML550 (02-20-2024), Œuvre (02-21-2024)
Old 03-03-2024 | 04:18 PM

ML350
These are the codes and faults from the transmissionTransmission codes

0748 pressure regulating valve 1 has electrical fault

0778 as above but valve 2

0798 as above but valve 3

2716 internal electrical test of component y3/8y4 ( k3clutch control solenoid valve) has failed

2725 Regulating valve has electrical fault

2734 regulating valve 6 has electrical fault

2810 pressure regulating valve 7 electrical fault

2759 pressure regulating valve of torque converter lock up clutch has an electrical fault

any suggestions or thoughts? Thank you.
Old 03-04-2024 | 11:44 PM

ML350 - 128i - GTI MK7
How many miles on the ML?
Old 03-05-2024 | 01:35 AM

ML350
It’s done 135k
Old 03-16-2024 | 03:29 AM

ML350
these are the codes from xentry, my mechanic had asked to borrow his technicians xentry while he was away to try it on my car, but he was just having trouble working his way round it

these are the codes the xentry read, he says it looks like it points to conductor plate failure, but wondered if anyone knew if he could access a repair within exentry?

he noticed the emergency operation mode and permanent fault memory and wondered how to access these as there is a check box but nothing seems to happen when you check them or show where to go. thank you
Old 04-21-2024 | 05:34 AM

ML350
I bought a new Conductor plate and it came programmed to my vin, we tested all the solenoids for the correct ohms reading and they were fine, fitted the new conductor plate to the valve body. refitted everything back together, 5-6 litres of new fluid topped up. started the car, went through the gears (went from P-N-D-R with no clunking, jumping just really smoothly) got transmission temp up to 45 degrees, topped up with a bit more fluid, removed adapter, all good.
lowered rear down, reversed off the ramps, left it idling while we went to get the laptop with xentry on. We turned off the engine while we set up, and nopw the car wont start, all the dash lights come on, but the car doesnt even attempt to turn over. it doesnt click or anything. Strangely when we plugged Xentry in it is now only finding 40 modules, every other time it was 44? and it doesnt even find the transmission? saying no communication between the ECU and TCU? and help or thoughts please. Thank you
The following users liked this post:
chassis (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024 | 08:36 AM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Sounds like the VIN coding didn't work properly. Sounds like a safe mode or anti-theft mode. Time for an online session with @BenzNinja or take it to an Indy shop who can finish the project you started.
BenzNinja (04-21-2024)
Old 04-23-2024 | 08:31 AM

ML350
It’s weird that it finds the transmission and then loses it, it’s done it a couple of times, where it will start, you do a scan and it shows up on the scan with no faults, then you can turn ignition off and back on and it won’t start, and a scan says it’s not installed and gives an option to install, but then Xentry can’t connect to it?

Old 04-25-2024 | 03:19 AM

ML350
Does anyone have any thoughts on these readings? This is after I have replaced the conductor plate with a new vin coded conductor plate. If I leave the battery terminal off over night, then reconnect in the morning the car starts first turn of the key, I do a scan with Xentry and it finds all modules including the transmission, it drives fine, but when I turn off the ignition and try to start it again it won’t start at all, just nothing, all lights come on, but nothing, I do a scan and instead of the 44 modules it normally finds it only finds 43 and the missing one is the transmission. Gives an option to install one but then says unable to communicate. Couple of times we have had the Transmission control ÉCU not available?
thanks for any help.
N11xxy
Old 04-25-2024 | 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
tranny ghosting

Originally Posted by N11xxy
Does anyone have any thoughts on these readings? This is after I have replaced the conductor plate with a new vin coded conductor plate. If I leave the battery terminal off over night, then reconnect in the morning the car starts first turn of the key, I do a scan with Xentry and it finds all modules including the transmission, it drives fine, but when I turn off the ignition and try to start it again it won’t start at all, just nothing, all lights come on, but nothing, I do a scan and instead of the 44 modules it normally finds it only finds 43 and the missing one is the transmission. Gives an option to install one but then says unable to communicate. Couple of times we have had the Transmission control ÉCU not available?
thanks for any help.
N11xxy
For some reason coms to your TCU cause it to ghost. That is really not good to have it cooperate with ECU commands.

What are the chassis other faulty modules?

What's the current mileage ?

Used on rought roads or freeway commutes only ?

Anything interesting that maybe related ?

Any limp-modes while operating?

Old 04-26-2024 | 03:02 AM

ML350
Hi thanks for the reply,
the current mileage is 135k,
it’s only used on normal roads, there has been no off-roading.
if the car starts it finds all the modules with no real faults other than a few minor ones. If I turn off the engine it won’t restart, (doesn’t even turn the engine over) if I do a scan then, it won’t find the transmission, and all over faults associated with the transmission module.
it all started when it went into limp mode, wouldn’t come out of it, had mechanic check it out and it was found the conductor plate had a fault, so bought a conductor plate that was coded to the car vin no, re-fitted it, filled transmission with fluid, took it for a test drive, no faults, drove well and changed gears fine, got home, turned off ignition and went to start car but nothing, wouldnt start, and it’s been like this for the last week.
Old 04-27-2024 | 03:40 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Does this have the original (old) style main harness connector that leaks, or the latest one that doesn't leak?

Did you book your online session with BenzNinja yet?
Old 04-27-2024 | 06:39 PM

ML350
I'll echo the advice to contact BenzNinja. If for some reason you're unwilling to do that and prefer wild *** guesses from unknown goofs like me .....

Right from the start of this thread it appeared to me that you were dealing with a connector issue. My experience (which is of completely unknown quality for you) is that when you have a host of similar problems pop up all at once on a scan it is more likely to be a connector than a component. What connector is the key but obviously it needs to be related to all the problems you experienced.
chassis (04-28-2024)
Old 09-02-2024 | 12:58 PM

2012 Mercedes ML250 Bluetec Special Edition W166
Hi, did you manage to fix this problem. I've got the same issue same codes and I'm looking at replacing the whole TCU, and not just part of it.

Xentry read was y3/8n4, lost comms to TCU.

Ruled out connectors, fuses etc but no issue there.