M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Airmatic rough ride 2014 350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2024 | 05:15 PM

ml350amg slk 320
Airmatic rough ride 2014 350

I know this is an old subject but I could use some advice please!
My ML with 50k has gradually developed a harsh ride.
I replaced the tyres 10k ago with Michelin Latitude Tour which I was advised were the best for comfort. It certainly improved the ride over the Continentals which came with the car.
Recently the ride has become very hard. I feel every bump and hole in the road. On a smooth road the Airmatic is super smooth.
My Indy ran a diagnostic and re calibrated all corners to within spec.
No codes recorded, no faults found. Shockers appear fine. One rear was replaced 10k ago.
Can the tyres become "hard" after time, it seems they are now 6 years old which means they must have been nearly 4 years old when fitted new. Didn't notice that! I'm running at 32 PSI in line with Merc spec.
Can anyone please advise what to try next , is it just a "feature" of the car or is there anything I can do to improve the ride. I'm reluctant to sell as the original owner spent £27 k on extras!
Thanks,
Paul.
Old 03-10-2024 | 06:36 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by paulwith
I know this is an old subject but I could use some advice please!
My ML with 50k has gradually developed a harsh ride.
I replaced the tyres 10k ago with Michelin Latitude Tour which I was advised were the best for comfort. It certainly improved the ride over the Continentals which came with the car.
Recently the ride has become very hard. I feel every bump and hole in the road. On a smooth road the Airmatic is super smooth.
My Indy ran a diagnostic and re calibrated all corners to within spec.
No codes recorded, no faults found. Shockers appear fine. One rear was replaced 10k ago.
Can the tyres become "hard" after time, it seems they are now 6 years old which means they must have been nearly 4 years old when fitted new. Didn't notice that! I'm running at 32 PSI in line with Merc spec.
Can anyone please advise what to try next , is it just a "feature" of the car or is there anything I can do to improve the ride. I'm reluctant to sell as the original owner spent £27 k on extras!
Thanks,
Paul.
Tires can dry rot. 6 years is far beyond the time that I would keep tires. My son had a 4 year old tire separate, on a 2019 model year car. The tread completely delaminated from the rest of the tire. I noticed the day before the separation that all four tires had signs of dry rot (surface cracking).

Replace your tires and report back.
Old 03-10-2024 | 07:35 PM

ml350amg slk 320
Originally Posted by chassis
Tires can dry rot. 6 years is far beyond the time that I would keep tires. My son had a 4 year old tire separate, on a 2019 model year car. The tread completely delaminated from the rest of the tire. I noticed the day before the separation that all four tires had signs of dry rot (surface cracking).

Thanks should the tyres have been 4years old when fitted “new”?
Old 03-13-2024 | 02:37 PM

ml350amg slk 320
Originally Posted by chassis

Alarming, what make of tyre was it?