M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

My first encounter with black death

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 12:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
ML350
My first encounter with black death

I was getting a fairly regular "190100 Component 'Y74 (Pressure regulating valve)' has an internal fault." Plus a sporadic MAF sensor plausibility error. I haven't really driven the car since we bought it roughly a year ago so I was expecting to have to fire the parts cannon once we started using it. The first order of business was a Malone tune and a Buzzken DPF delete. I wisely hired that out, mostly because it appeared that the guy I hired was getting a sufficient discount on the hardware and software that he was able to do the work effectively for free. Coming home from the delete I got the CEL again so it was time to get serious about throwing parts.

RockAuto provided the Bosch solenoid for the front of the driver side rail but when I started to install it I first discovered that its not a dead simple install. That discovery was quickly followed up by what looked like solidified lava toward the rear of the passenger side head. The foam rubber insulating cover was pretty much destroyed by heat and was completely destroyed by the time I got it pried off the black death. #5 injector was bad but #6 was a genuine mess. Bank 1 looks absolutely pristine and I won't touch it other than to change the return harness. Many days later I've got the electrical connector off #5 but #6 has so far resisted my efforts. This morning I got the old clamp bolts out without incident and removed the clamps. Alternating applications of Seafoam, carb cleaner and acetone is slowly getting down to the base metal. I'm reserving the xylene for emergency use.

If nothing else its an opportunity to stock up the tool box. I've got a fancy injector socket set on its way as well as a seat reamer. I've run diesels all my life. Everything from farm tractors to construction equipment to passenger vehicles, pickups, highway tractors, boat engines and gensets. This is my first experience with injector seat failure and it appears to be a relatively common occurrence with these engines. What's that about???

Any and all tips, advice, cautions appreciated. I don't need the car so there's absolutely no pressure to get it out of the shop. I've got a new foam cover coming from Great Britain, an injector return harness and o-rings coming from China, hold down bolts coming off Amazon - presumably North American origin. There's probably a few other miscellaneous items heading my way - the Purorlator man will be happy.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
ML350
Any project that doesn't require buying tools isn't a project worth tackling. Injector seat cutters, injector slide hammer and a set of injector sockets so far. I finally got the injectors pulled yesterday. I pulled all three on Bank 2. #4 was OK - a little dirty and moderately stuck but not bad. Things got worse as I went back. Last night I ordered 3 new injectors from RockAuto. The old ones will clean up superficially but they're pretty nasty and by the time I get them rebuilt I might as well put in new ones. I'm feeling a little guilty about not doing Bank 1 at the same time but the ML has been tying up my lift for over a month now. I need to get it back together so I'll likely postpone changing the other side until next winter.

One thing I've noticed for sure - the Chinese supply chain post-pandemic is remarkably better. I try to avoid AliExpress - its just a philosophical xenophobic reaction but that's what I do. On this project there have been a couple of items where the price advantage was irresistible and at least one instance where Amazon deceived me into ordering something which appeared to be North American sourced but ended up coming from China. The takeaway has been that shipping from China is now a 10 day to 2 week expectation c/w 1 to 1-1/2 months prior to the pandemic.