How to turn torque converter on w166

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2024, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 450 AMG
How to turn torque converter on w166

Hi all,

I am about to do a transmission service, but I can’t find a way to get the torque converter drain plug in place
WIS call it to use a flat screwdriver, but I was not able to turn it even a bit

Crank pulley is not an option, cos the intercooler is in front and I don’t have access
Any ideas will be appreciated
Old 08-20-2024, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 686 Likes on 498 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Don't bother trying to drain the TC. Just drop the pan and filter and the fluid that comes out therewith, install new filter and gasket with the pan, refill to correct level, done.
If you're worried about the fluid you didn't get out, just do it again in a few thousand miles - or in another 25K. I've done a pan drain/filter change on my big truck every 25K for the last 325K miles and the fluid comes out nice and red each time. I've only done it once on my Benz at 70K miles (should've done it sooner) and the fluid was still clean.
The following users liked this post:
luboreal (08-20-2024)
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 ML550 US spec. Air+Offroad pkg
What engine do you have? I have the V8 biturbo and a ratchet and socket to the crank pulley from under the car did the trick for me to align the drain hole. Not that hard to turn. There is room to get ratchet in there. I’d definitely drain it, has like 3.5 liters of fluid in it.
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 450 AMG
Originally Posted by Leetom
What engine do you have? I have the V8 biturbo and a ratchet and socket to the crank pulley from under the car did the trick for me to align the drain hole. Not that hard to turn. There is room to get ratchet in there. I’d definitely drain it, has like 3.5 liters of fluid in it.
It is a v6 bi turbo M276. As I mention intercooler is just in front at about a centimeter and impossible to put a tool in there. I actually barely see the pulley