M156 V8 Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M156 V8 6.2L engine. Including SL63 AMG, CL63 AMG, S63 AMG, E63 AMG, CLS63 AMG, C63 AMG, CLL63 AMG, ML63 AMG, R63 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me review my Xentry cam log

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Help me review my Xentry cam log

So I found out that there is a log feature in Xentry. It's only for the graphic cam position line item and it only works once the graph has covered the screen width.
There is a save button that comes out and it indicates the location where it's going to save, without changing options for it.
Then the csv file needs heavy duty work, but here is a summarized version of my log.
Please review this with me.
Attached Thumbnails Help me review my Xentry cam log-photo543.jpg  
Old 12-28-2016, 03:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
FYI---when I zoom in I loose the log headings and when in original form the headings are to small for me to read---what are the log headings?
Old 12-28-2016, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45

Thanks for the feedback.
I have this available in many formats, PDF, JPG, excel.
The challenge has been to get photobucket to accept it, so I went with jpg.
Then I saw I could upload direct.
Let me make another attempt.
Meanwhile here is the info:
Left to right
RPM (includes measurement unit, 1/min), Intake right cam angle (crank degrees). Spec Angle Intake left cam in degrees, Intake right cam error, Itake left cam angle (crank degrees), Spec Angle intake right cam (degrees), Intake left cam angle error, Exhaust right cam angle (crank degrees), spec angle exhaust right cam (degrees), exhaust right cam error, Exhaust left cam angle (crank degrees), spec angle exhaust left cam (degrees), Exhaust left cam error

Last edited by Vladds; 12-28-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Notes:
-While the graph is unimpressive, there is a high volume of data being offered in a csv format.

-The headers come out in German, I speak some German, even some Technical German, so was able to figure it out without issue.

-In addition to what is shown here, 3 more columns come out: Crank log timing, intake cam log timing, exhaust cam log timing, in milliseconds

-The error columns are mine, I entered the formulae too

-The data is supplied with measurement units and needs to be stripped of those, so that proper excel can be implemented.

-My feeling is that the data sampling frequency is very good, but the inability to select other metrics (in this case Load), reduces the use of this.

-Legend (in my understanding);
Crank log timer in milliseconds is the number of milliseconds that the particular sample of data is taken, since the timer of the crank started, its use is to show how fine the sampling interval is.

Intake and exhaust log timers in milliseconds are the same as above, measured for the cams.

RPM is self explanatory, except to note that the data comes in the engineering format 1/min measurement unit.

Intake right cam angle, this is the actual angle of the cam. The problem here is that the data is presented in degrees KW (Kurbelwelle), meaning crankshaft degrees, vs the prescribed (spec) value, marked in angle. this spec value does not come out marked as KW. I don't think it's possible for cam degrees to be close to crank degrees, as cams rotate at a different rpm. SO I'm going to call this a typo by the Mercedes programmer.

Spec Angle cam, as above this is the prescribed value for this, to compare with the actual value.
When I say "this", it should be "this load value", not "this RPM", so unless this is also reading parameters that allow calculation of the load for a particular data point, I don't know how "this" happens.
Maybe the answer is in the measurement unit?
For now I'm taking it at face value that we can compare apples to apples.

Error is subtracting the actual from the spec

Last edited by Vladds; 12-28-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45

The conditions of the log were at least for part of it WOT, probably in 4th, the engine was warmed up, I have no codes.

The duration of the sample is as I said only 3 minutes or so and the volume of data collected is about 3 times as big as what I have here, I chopped the data that did not show anything exciting, to reduce the volume.

I think there are some cam return problems, as well as a lag problem under heavy load (I think). The RPM on their own don't seem to be a problem.

Last edited by Vladds; 12-28-2016 at 06:41 PM.