M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing antifreeze

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
changing antifreeze

hi, looked into dvd for changing coolant. they showed an attachment that attached to a cap that went on the overflow tank with i believe three attachments. i believe it purged the air out, then created a vacuum that drew antifreeze out of a container into the system. my question is- since i don't have this specialized equipment is there away to change antifreeze without out the equipment and purge all the air out of the system?
thanks for your help.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do not change anitfreeze w/o this device. otherwise air comes into system and make jam.
after change make engine/turbo test. for proper boost pressure.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E63, 04 discovery
without the proper don't attempt changing the coolant. If its not properly bleed you will have low power under load.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
had a check engine light. dealer changed the throttlt body and accelerator pedal. 3 days later light came on again. code 300 i believe random misfire. brought it back, light went off. could not duplicate. found a cracked radiator hose and replaced and added 1 quart antifreeze.someone told me that an air bubble in the turbo cooling system can cause this code. is that true. it appears the problem is solved. would an air bubble, or slightly low coolant cause that?
thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Changing the coolant is super easy (on W215 CL, should be similar for the S and SL).

Remove under tray. Place catch pan under car. Unscrew red valve from driver side of radiator. It will slowly drip into your catch pan. Loosen reservoir cap and it will drip fast. When done, close red valve and refill with coolant and water mix. Run car with heater to get bubbles out. Wait to cool, then refill.

The reservoir is the high point of the system, so it will bleed itself. No real issues with bubbles.

I did this without even lifting the car.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
what about the antifreeze that goes through the turbo chargers? is this affected and are air bubbles in there as well?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
The method I gave will flush about 2 to 3 gallons of coolant from the radiator and reservoir. There is coolant everywhere in the car. Turbos, oil cooler, intercoolers, intercooler heat exchanger, engine block, heater core, etc. Probably several more gallons in total. The only way to reach this would be to disconnect basically every coolant hose. Not worth it.

Instead, flush the system. If the coolant looks like new (mine did) just refill. If it looks bad, refill with distilled water only, then run for 30 minutes and flush again. Doing back to back flushes is the easiest way to get more fluid changed. You will need to add more coolant than water the second time to account for the extra water you added the first time.

In terms of air bubbles, they should work their way to the reservoir, since it is the highest point of the system. The system seems pretty good about not harboring air bubbles or pockets. It basically is self bleeding. After 30 minutes of driving and using the heat on full blast, you should have gotten all the air into the reservoir. Wait for it to cool again, then top it off.

The Intercooler system is different in that it does need to be manually bled. To do this, check the two tire stem type valves on the intercoolers. Push the internal button and see if they weep coolant. If so, the system is fine. If not, you either have air in it or more likely need to replace your intercooler pump.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
saintz, thank you very much for taking the time to explain the procedure. i really appreciate it and now understand.
the best, harv