M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renntech Airbox comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Buick T-Type, 70 cuda, S65 and a very FAST Truck!
Renntech Airbox comparison

Does anyone here have a set of Renntech airboxes for the V12tt cars? I would like to see a side by side comparison with the stock ones to see the differences. I did a search and all I could come up with are pictures from the top. I would like to see the inside and bottom if anyone has some detailed pictures. It appears they use the same bottom section and only the upper lid/ air intake section is different. They are crazy money but are definitely beautiful looking.

Thank you.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 s600
Wink

I would go with the Speedriven Scorpion Intakes. Dual cone K&N air filters on each turbo, awesome setup. And its about a quarter of the price. Doesn't make sense to stick with one little square filter in carbon fiber housings..what a rip-off. I guess there is always an a** for every seat
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Buick T-Type, 70 cuda, S65 and a very FAST Truck!
They definitely have a nice set up. It looks like several people are making different attempts to replace the stock airboxes. I have no plans to purchase a $5,000 airbox but wanted to compare to see if possibly adding spacers to the top of the box would help flow. It would be informative to get all the current set ups, stock, Renntech, Scorpion, three inch tube with front mounted filters etc to see the no kidding difference on a flow bench, then back that up with track MPH.

There have been some good documented HP increases and track times with tunes and Renntech airboxes only. I really wanted to see what makes their airboxes different. The Scorpion design is effective but I would sure like to see some added radius where the two tubes from the filters come together. Air intersecting at 90 degrees has an impact to overall tube flow. Without a flow bench the flow deltas are all speculation. I am sure Speedriven has optimized the design given the confines everything has to fit in and the price of manufacture and assembly. I applaud their effort for a much more affordable alternative in a cram packed engine bay. Please note I am in no way critiquing anyone's design, everyone has their own way to skin a cat. Most option available do seem to offer a power advantage over stock.

What does intrigue me is the multiple dyno sessions where people make big dyno gains unhooking the factory airboxes or running with no filters.

Anyone who reads this please post your successful or unsuccessfull efforts at upgrading the factory air intake. There are several similar threads but they are spread all over.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 SL65 AMG, 04 S600
+1, I'd also like to hear a few experiences and see some dyno graph if possible of results.
I don't like the shape and design of the factory box at all.