M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercooler Circuit Overflow Reservoir

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sl65 amg
Originally Posted by pmercury
you must bleed
then after that it will autoremove the little left and prevent having air

It works.
The following users liked this post:
pmercury (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 09:37 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
I wanted to come back and update this thread after having done this mod for a few months. When i first do it, after a drive my reservoir would become empty after i parked it over night, it went empty twice and on the third time of refilling the reservoir, it hasn't been draining again. Makes me think i had little air in my system and since it's been drawing the coolant back, it's filled those pockets. My IATs hover around 110-120 on an 85f day, after a few pulls it would stay the same, it only climb to 160+ when it's bumper to bumper traffic, but as soon as the car moves again then temps go back down quick.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:13 AM

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by 2007sclass
I am a bit confused. The creator of this thread says this mod removes or removed all air from his system and kept it out. Others here have stated it wont do that.. so whats the verdict?
I don't think it will remove air that's already in the system. You will have to have it vacuum bled as before. What it does do is prevent the system from sucking air back in. I've watched the fluid level in my reservoir. It never varies by more than maybe 1/4" or so, but it does vary.
pmercury (07-02-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 07:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Buick T-Type, 70 cuda, S65 and a very FAST Truck!
Howdy All,

This modification definitely bleeds the entire system but it takes time. It will take multiple heat cycles to expand the air in the intercooler system which gets pushed out through the wilwood reservoir. When the system cools back down it draws the liquid back in. I have been running this system for years now and every time I take off the intercooler radiator cap it is 100% full of coolant. Before adding the reservoir there was always a bit of air under the cap, I always fought with getting the system bled.

The newer v12tt cars have a very similar set up.

Best of luck to all.
turbonos7 (12-18-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 07:26 PM

Received 795 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by Flight Test
Howdy All,

This modification definitely bleeds the entire system but it takes time. It will take multiple heat cycles to expand the air in the intercooler system which gets pushed out through the wilwood reservoir. When the system cools back down it draws the liquid back in. I have been running this system for years now and every time I take off the intercooler radiator cap it is 100% full of coolant. Before adding the reservoir there was always a bit of air under the cap, I always fought with getting the system bled.

Best of luck to all.

Lol sorry I messed up with the original retrofit that does not and I use
https://mbworld.org/forums/m275-v12-...atibility.html

good info
Old 10-24-2020, 11:31 AM

2007 S600
Howdy All,

I believe you’re right. I recently had to open up the low temp circuit and drain most of it. I did what I could to fill it up afterward, but doubt I got it totally bled. I removed the cores from the bleed fittings and ran hoses from them to the filler neck, and used DAS to turn on the pump for several minutes. Anyway, the system has been fine, it sucked in a few ounces from the reservoir I added last year and is completely full. The intercoolers are just slightly warm after engine shutdown. It’s a win.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:57 AM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
'05 S430, '05 S600
Howdy All,

Best of luck to all.
This is great news!!! Now I don't have to build that vacuum rig!!!
Old 01-07-2021, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL65 AMG
TerranceSl65: I just PMd you: Would you kindly share the list of parts you used to accomplish your reservoir build, please?
Old 01-08-2021, 03:06 PM

'05 S430, '05 S600
Originally Posted by jerseyben
TerranceSl65: I just PMd you: Would you kindly share the list of parts you used to accomplish your reservoir build, please?
just do the update the factory ended up doing for the M279 revision. It fits and looks like OEM and it keeps the system free of air. The list of parts you’ll need is listed below:M275 IC reservoir upgrade

A2792000185 Tank

A2790980891 pipe to tank

A2790980283 rubber hose

Ends up looking like this.
biker349 (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 03:11 PM
SPONSOR

Received 835 Likes on 647 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
I recommend !
amazing find
Old 01-08-2021, 03:49 PM

2005 CL65 AMG
Originally Posted by turbonos7
just do the update the factory ended up doing for the M279 revision. It fits and looks like OEM and it keeps the system free of air. The list of parts you’ll need is listed below:M275 IC reservoir upgrade

A2792000185 Tank

A2790980891 pipe to tank

A2790980283 rubber hose

Ends up looking like this.
Any suggestions on vendors that sell these parts? I tried looking it up and only found 1 source from Europe?
Old 01-09-2021, 06:57 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Any suggestions on vendors that sell these parts? I tried looking it up and only found 1 source from Europe?
yes of course
at the dealership like we all did I guess
Old 01-10-2021, 11:23 PM

'05 S430, '05 S600
You can put all three part numbers on this dealer’s page. You can then complete the checkout process and receive the parts in the mail. Good luck!!!

https://www.sfbenzparts.com/
Old 01-27-2021, 04:08 PM

2001 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by turbonos7
You can put all three part numbers on this dealer’s page. You can then complete the checkout process and receive the parts in the mail. Good luck!!!

https://www.sfbenzparts.com/
Hello, new 2007 SL65 owner here, thanks for this find. Looks like it’s about $224 for all three. My question is I assume a cooler running system, are there other benefits to performance? My car is stock but thinking of doing kleemann ecu tune, downpipes BMc air filters to start. Thanks. Darrick

Old 01-27-2021, 04:48 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by darrickduran
Hello, new 2007 SL65 owner here, thanks for this find. Looks like it’s about $224 for all three. My question is I assume a cooler running system, are there other benefits to performance? My car is stock but thinking of doing kleemann ecu tune, downpipes BMc air filters to start. Thanks. Darrick
I have tested all possible
all you mentioned is perfect
then in terms of cooling, start with the Weistec water/meth kit. you might skip the cooling after you see the result
just insane
Old 01-27-2021, 09:01 PM

2007 S600
Darrick,

Adding the new expansion tank for the low temp circuit won't make any difference in your temperatures, assuming you don't have air in your low temp (intercooler) circuit to begin with. It does nothing to change the way that system works. All it will do is keep the system from sucking in air. If that happens, you will soon find your low temp circuit partially empty, and your IAT will suffer because the intercoolers won't get enough water circulating. In a perfect world, this wouldn't be an issue -- the low temp circuit won't get hot enough for the coolant to expand and vent from the fill cap. Well, we don't always live in a perfect world, which Mercedes seems to have eventually figured out.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:44 PM

'05 S430, '05 S600

no, it’s not really about adding performance per say as it is more about keeping the performance you’re supposed to always have as intended from factory.

If you read on this forum enough about these cars, you will soon find out that the original design as you have in your car right now is flawed. The flaw is the lack of an expansion tank to allow water to expand to somewhere as it heats up during operation. The original design (again, as it sits in your car right now) does not allow for this and what happens instead is that the water expands and lifts the relief valve on the cap between the two intercoolers and escapes. Later as the system cools down, air replaces this coolant that escaped. This air, forms air pockets which prevent efficient and at times, even blocks proper circulation. This in turn, leads to heat soaking and high intake air charge temperatures which in turn, force the engine ecu to retard timing and add fuel in order to keep the engine from detonating.

This all means that original performance is reduced by not having this update. AMG introduced this update in 2014 when the engine was revised and re-named M279. My opinion is that this is a must do in order to make the car more reliable before one starts adding tunes and other mods. Unless you’re doing something completely mind-blowing like @pmercury , you’re more than likely stuck using the stock intercoolers so... do this mod/update and upgrade the circulation pump and you’ll be at a good starting point.

Good luck on your build and start reading through this forum!!! Knowledge is power....Horsepower!!!!
Old 05-12-2024, 08:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
S65 E320
Hi,
A quick one as I could not find details in the manual as to how much MB coolant to use in the interecooler circuit....., any idea in Litres ?
Also do I use the MB unmixed coolant for this, or 50/50 with filtered water ?
Regards,
Grant.