Maybach (W240) Produced 2002-2012

Maybach or Phantom?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybach or Phantom?

They are basically the same price. I wanted to get your opinions on which one you would rather have. A Maybach or a Phantom and reasons?
Old 10-17-2004, 09:00 AM

996 Turbo
Depends what look your after

Ghetto Fab = RR Phantom
Understaded elegance = Maybach

As far as I know the Maybach is still outselling the RR phantom for those reasons. The Phantom might look like a Million bucks but it also attracts all kinds of unncessary attention.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
It's a bit early to predict the resale,but there is already a bunch of 57's in low $200k range and a few Phantoms around $300k.
That should say something.....
Old 10-19-2004, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by FInality
Depends what look your after

Ghetto Fab = RR Phantom
Understaded elegance = Maybach

As far as I know the Maybach is still outselling the RR phantom for those reasons. The Phantom might look like a Million bucks but it also attracts all kinds of unncessary attention.
I disagree & agree...I know dont what ghettos you frequent, but i have yet to see many in any ghetto...but it all depends on what you prefer
Old 10-19-2004, 05:45 AM

996 Turbo
Originally Posted by absent
It's a bit early to predict the resale,but there is already a bunch of 57's in low $200k range and a few Phantoms around $300k.
That should say something.....
I'm not too sure whats going on now but I remember an article about 6 months ago stating that no RR Phantoms had been sold in the second hand car market, even locally there are a couple of used Phantoms for sale that have been there for a while....

Granted it is an expensive car but I feel that the Phantom will take on the poor resale value of the other RR models.

NJ Drive I was just pointing out that the Phantom is just too flasy for some yes it looks fantastic but so do 22 inch chrome spinners, doesn't mean everyones going to go out and buy one.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
maybachs are all over nyc, 57's and 62's but i have only seen a handfull of phantoms
Old 10-19-2004, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
tough choice...rolls' do seem more rare, though.

i'd take a mayback with a driver
Old 10-19-2004, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
why are people forgetting about the Bentley?

2004 Arnage... I feel it is a timeless vehicle, as apposed to the gauty new Rolls Royce..

Old 10-20-2004, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
...........I finally came up close with a Maybach. I did not even notice this car. This is car I have been craving to see, yet when I saw it, I did not even notice it. The car to me has zero presence. People buy cars for different reasons, but if you are buying your car to be noticed, forget about a maybach. You have better chance of getting noticed in a an S-class. The Maybach just simply looks like yet another limo.

Ted
Old 10-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Alex_Spider
They are basically the same price. I wanted to get your opinions on which one you would rather have. A Maybach or a Phantom and reasons?
..... why bother driving if you are going to drive like that. Bentley coupe.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
I'd go for the Maybach because of all the amenities you get, the engine power and the line (which I like better than the RR). needless to say I'd choose the 57
Old 10-20-2004, 09:15 PM

Gentlemen,

I currently have a black 62 and I posted on this forum as well as others to see if there would be a demand if I were to start a chauffeur service using the vehicle.

My friend, the President of Gotham Dream Cars in Manhattan who has a Ferrari 360 Modena and Lamborghini Gallardo for rent, was bringing up the idea of the phantom instead.

So, I finally went to go see one at the Manhattan Motorcars showroom earlier today. While its looks are impressive, being a passenger in the back of the maybach is 5000 times more comfortable and rewarding than the phantom.

If you want to be driven around in comfort, MAYBACH 62 all the way.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:29 PM
I1 ULOOZ

Phantom, Phantom, Phantom!!
Old 10-24-2004, 02:30 PM
I1 ULOOZ

YOU HAVE A 62! Please dont be so shy and post some pics!
Old 10-25-2004, 04:53 PM

maybach all the way. ive been in a maybach two times and all i can say is that ive never seen a car so perfect. imagine 21 speakers with 600 watts. and there isnt even a speaker visible. if u havnt been to a dealer to see it yet go now and you wont turn back.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'07 Carrera S, '31 A 5W hot rod, 4Runner. Sold CLK55
Originally Posted by Mr. Xristo
why are people forgetting about the Bentley?

2004 Arnage... I feel it is a timeless vehicle, as apposed to the gauty new Rolls Royce..

Yes, the Bentley would be my choice.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
I'll take the Maybach. I also hate the fact that BMW bought Rolls-Royce.

With the Maybach, it comes down to the color scheme. My choice would be a black pearl or black opal with a dark charcoal / dark slate combo. Tint the windows and get some nice 22" lorinsers and you are set.

Plus, isn't the service from Maybach supposed to be kick ***?
Old 11-05-2004, 04:23 AM

phantom is nice but screams at the top of its lungs "ATTENION *****". i would never get one so my choice is maybach. Plus i prefer the rounder body style.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 C230
when you spend that much money...you better command attention...phantom all the way. With the Maybach...you might just drive past one and not even notice it....
Old 11-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Benz916
when you spend that much money...you better command attention...phantom all the way. With the Maybach...you might just drive past one and not even notice it....
Yup getting attention is what its all about .... just one thing. How do you command attention from someone that isnt carrying a gun?
Old 11-06-2004, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 C230
Phantom=loaded gun=commands attention...lesson of the day.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Guest0001

Im with Mr. Xristo. Arnage for me. But I would take the maybach 57 over the RR though.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
There is always a big difference to seeing a car in a magazine, in the flesh and actually driving one.

While a haven't driven the Phantom, I drove a Maybach for a while and have seen both cars side by side.

I really like the Maybach; a great driving car with impeccable finish. It feels more personal than the S-Class when driving with the exception of the usual sloppy steering (as in the S-Class), but it is a pure joy to drive.

A very understating car, few people actually notice it and may only recognize it on second look (which I prefer), but this car just looks so much better in reality than pictures portray. I disagree with Ted Balwin, this car definitely has a lot of presence, but it is not in your face. You also don't recognize how large it is unless it stands next to other cars or when you park it in the garage.

I also had a chance to look at a neighbors Phantom and have to say that I like it too. Not a car that I would ever buy, but definitely a car with balanced proportions and without a doubt the best Rolls (or Bentley for that matter) ever built. It seemed designed to fit the best of Rolls tradition (including the annoying steering wheel) with BMW technology (meaning the things actually work as advertised). Definitely an attention getter, but then so are Ferrari's or Lambos, which are often bought for that very reason.

I personally don't quite understand the sentimental viewpoint on Bentleys; until the Germans took over RR and Bentley, both brands were simply living off their glorious pasts, but producing below average cars. Beautifully crafted bodies and interiors don't make up for the mechanical and electrical issues that would discourage most from ever taking one on a road trip...

Wolfman
Old 11-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wolfman
There is always a big difference to seeing a car in a magazine, in the flesh and actually driving one.

While a haven't driven the Phantom, I drove a Maybach for a while and have seen both cars side by side.

I really like the Maybach; a great driving car with impeccable finish. It feels more personal than the S-Class when driving with the exception of the usual sloppy steering (as in the S-Class), but it is a pure joy to drive.

A very understating car, few people actually notice it and may only recognize it on second look (which I prefer), but this car just looks so much better in reality than pictures portray. I disagree with Ted Balwin, this car definitely has a lot of presence, but it is not in your face. You also don't recognize how large it is unless it stands next to other cars or when you park it in the garage.

I also had a chance to look at a neighbors Phantom and have to say that I like it too. Not a car that I would ever buy, but definitely a car with balanced proportions and without a doubt the best Rolls (or Bentley for that matter) ever built. It seemed designed to fit the best of Rolls tradition (including the annoying steering wheel) with BMW technology (meaning the things actually work as advertised). Definitely an attention getter, but then so are Ferrari's or Lambos, which are often bought for that very reason.

I personally don't quite understand the sentimental viewpoint on Bentleys; until the Germans took over RR and Bentley, both brands were simply living off their glorious pasts, but producing below average cars. Beautifully crafted bodies and interiors don't make up for the mechanical and electrical issues that would discourage most from ever taking one on a road trip...

Wolfman
Im not so busy for the next few months. Lets get a Phantom and install complete engine and electronics, inlcuding UHI phone, from Pullman.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:28 AM

Maybach,

I was sitting in a Phantom on Saturday night in NYC, and its pretty small inside, but the carpet is supoer plush. But they can't offer any of the ammenities that Maybach offers inside for comfort and A/V System

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Maybach or Phantom?