Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Is Ron Dennis playing favorites?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Is Ron Dennis playing favorites?

I have a feeling that RD will seem to favor Kimi over JPM all season long, with JPM crying bloody murder and RD playing the "all drivers are treated equal" bit. so think of this thread as an "injustice log" of sorts.

And so it starts...

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=111531

McLaren won't give Montoya new engine
10 March 2006
Juan Pablo Montoya said after Friday's free practice he was not happy with the Mercedes engine placed in his McLaren. He prefers to have an engine switch but McLaren told him it's not going to happen.

"The engine doesn't have enough power," Montoya said. "I don't know why, but I am 7 km/h slower than Kimi on the straight with the same kind of engine. If we don't want to end up in 10th or 12th we should think about changing that engine. But I'm not the one who makes the decision about that."

And unfortunately for the Colombian he is right. The team told him they don't want to switch the engine and go back ten places at the grid. According to Ron Dennis there is nothing wrong with Montoya's engine. "The engines are perfectly fine. There is no difference between our engines."
Old 03-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Banned

F248 F1
LOL he let it out ... what a bum head...and everyone acuses Ferrari... ronnie boy... he has a history with fins you know that nola ?
Old 03-10-2006, 05:42 PM
NYR

EVO I, (of the original 503).
Ron Dennis doesn't play favorites! I'm being mucho sarcastico!!!!
Let's say Montoya is rough on the equipment and hasn't quite lived up to his potential.
Montoya is capable of being the quickest around; he's also capable of tearing up every McLaren Mercedes in Woking, England before a single race has been run.
Every team has it's #1 and #2. Fernando Alonso is a driver with a bit of finesse; Kimi drives harder than anybody, but he doesn't do dumb things with the car...so there you go.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Banned

F248 F1
theirs favorites in every team- thats part of F1 so i thnk we should just deal with it. As for why he is slower, its probably do to his setup
Old 03-10-2006, 08:41 PM

2001 C240 Sport Manual
This is going to get ugly early!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:01 AM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Montoya is a cry baby

They should have fired him last year.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:10 AM

2008 BMW 335xi Coupe
Originally Posted by velvet fog
Montoya is a cry baby

They should have fired him last year.
why would they fire him and why is he a cry baby? because he sees that he is consistently 7kph slower on a straight? I dont see your logic.. sorry, I'd argue the same thing as him if I were in his position...
Montoya is a very fast driver, he just needs to tone down on the aggressiveness on the track.. he has a lot of potential for scoring a lot of points for the team...
Old 03-11-2006, 07:25 AM

JPM is the same story every team he is with. Always has an excuse why he is slow, crashed etc and it is never the drivers fault. I used to like the guy, but he needs to suck it up and post up some consistent results.

Shumacher on the pole, Masa second and Button 3rd. Could be a long year if the Ferrari stays fast.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:27 PM

2008 BMW 335xi Coupe
Juan Pablo Montoya

“I think we did a good job with the new format, and it ran very smoothly for me. I am a little surprised to finish so far up as we had not been looking good in the earlier sessions when I have been suffering from understeer, but that is what the car could do when it counted. I think we have a good strategy for the race, so we will have to wait and see what will happen tomorrow.”

Kimi Räikkönen

“There is not much I can say about today. It is very disappointing to not even complete one timed lap as I believe that the team had a good strategy for the new qualifying system, and I could have been amongst the quickest. Although it is far from ideal to start from the back of the grid, there are overtaking opportunities at this track, and I have done this before and still achieved good results. We will just have to see what happens in the race tomorrow.”

Ron Dennis

“A painful first experience of the new qualifying. Our overall competitiveness is still difficult to judge as the fuel load used for the final qualifying still plays a significant role in respect of race strategy. Juan Pablo’s set up is still not perfect and Kimi’s car suffered a rear suspension lower wishbone failure which was caused by a manufacturing fault, which, after many thousands of kilometres of testing, is difficult to come to terms with.”

Norbert Haug

“It is a shame that Kimi suffered from a rear suspension failure. In more than 8000km of testing we have not experienced such a breakdown. We have what we think is a good strategy and a solid basis for a good performance in the race and our speed so far looks OK.”
Old 03-11-2006, 02:37 PM

SLK55 AMG
dont forget that Kimi is also much thiner than JP, and its easier to add waights to the car than finding areas to shave some off. JP is an amazing and is one of the few drivers that can overtake in the monaco GP so he muct have a lot of skill and *****. he also was amazimg with BMW 3 years ago got a lot of pionts for his team.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Ron Dennis 1 - Juan Pablo Montoya 0. Add one to the "log of injustice".

"I think we had some issues over the weekend with Montoya's engine," McLaren MD Martin Whitmarsh told Autosport.

"We have a number of different modes of operation with the engine. We have economy, super economy and full mode and certainly in the lesser modes of control, there was something in the engine that we were trying to track down all weekend that gave him a slight element of disadvantage.
http://msn.foxsports.com/motor/story/5410266
Old 03-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Ron Dennis is a DICK...JPM said all weekend his engine was bad to change it and that dick head said no..and i heard that his ECU was bad and he was down about 50bhp ! freaken Ron ima slap that ***....
Old 03-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

I think a retraction from Velvet Fog is in order...
Old 03-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Ron Dennis 2 - Montoya 0. It doesn't get much more clear than that. Check the job section in the F1 insider, Juan.

McLaren F1's CEO Martin Whitmarsh commented on all the Räikkönen rumours: "Kimi and his people will decide what will be best for him. It is not a secret that we want to keep him at McLaren. Next year we will have Alonso, a Formula One world champion, and it would be nice to have Räikkönen driving next to Alonso with the 2006 world championship in his pocket."
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=112154
Old 03-15-2006, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
JPM: "My car is slower, this is a conspiracy....we need to know THE TRUTH!"

RD: "Tennis, anyone?"

Old 03-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Chappy
JPM: "My car is slower, this is a conspiracy....we need to know THE TRUTH!"

RD: "Tennis, anyone?"

AAAHAHAHAHhahHAHAH!!!!111
Old 03-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Banned

F248 F1
LMAO!!!!!! thats mest up... JPM is very good i dont know why RD dosent just them fight it out on the track like prost and senna did back in the days
Old 03-15-2006, 02:43 PM

Sorry, no retraction here.

Regardless of whether or not he gets shafted by RD or there was really a problem, JPM needs to quit airing his grievences in the press. Makes him sound like the whiny little beeoytch he is. The guy has rich spoiled brat written all over him. Buck up and let your driving do the talking. He did finish well in Bahrain.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Banned

F248 F1
velvet...hes fraken **** you have to understand that...yeah hes making a mistake comming off like that but hes hot headed like most of us lations are at the heat of the moment we just express ourselfs...i see nothing wrong with it. MS does the same, only that he does it with sarcasm...to each their own...if the ilmor engine let me down and i wanted a new one because i thought i was down on power and my manager said i dont get a new one...id be flipping because he would be costing me the race! and then he comes off implying i have no job next year because im not performing good enough when its his freaken gay decision and that gay reliablity problems the merc engine has....id go nuts!
Old 03-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Banned

F248 F1
JPM is THE best over taker in F1...like it or not, he has more ***** then anyone out there....he was the only one that would challenge MS in 2002 2003...
Old 03-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

I know for a fact that he's a rich spoiled brat who thinks he's God's gift to the racing world... but when it comes to track performance, I think most of the time he tells it like it is. His engine did in fact have less power, and you still saw him go out and put out his best effort.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Originally Posted by Nola
I know for a fact that he's a rich spoiled brat who thinks he's God's gift to the racing world... but when it comes to track performance, I think most of the time he tells it like it is. His engine did in fact have less power, and you still saw him go out and put out his best effort.
true that! 50 LESS BHP ! dude thats alot in F1 and staying in 5th place.... thats VERY GOOD ! the Macas engines already have the least HP in the grid and down an additional 50 and comming 5th !!! thats greats skill..
Old 03-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Will this make a difference?

REVS:

Team...................Quali..........Race
Cosworth.............19800........19100
Honda.................19300.........18500
Ferrari.................19200.........18200
Cosworth V10......16700.........16700
Toyota................19200..........18200
Renault...............19100..........18300
BMW...................18900..........18100
Mercedes.............18200..........17500
Old 03-15-2006, 09:37 PM

egutie - as a full eyetalian, I know a little about temper and hot headedness. When you get a little older you will understand why its usually not a good idea to air your dirty laundry in public. Now I'm not suggesting JPM turn into Kimi 'the iceberg' raikkonen, I think a little passion and emotion is a good thing.

Like I said before, he needs to quit whining, that is how you earn respect. The best example of class under pressure in racing I have ever seen was Rusty Wallace. He had just been blatantly knocked out of a race he was leading and most likely would have won. As he was obviously pissed marching down pit lane to his truck, the reporter stuck a mic in his face and baited him with a question like 'hows it feel to get creamed by so and so'

Now Rusty could have really lit into the young turd and whined about getting knocked out etc, instead he says the usual line about great car, great team, sorry he couldn't bring the win home etc. Not a word about the incident, no excuses. When JPM can do that, he will have my respect.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

From post #9 above:

Juan Pablo Montoya

“I think we did a good job with the new format, and it ran very smoothly for me. I am
a little surprised to finish so far up as we had not been looking good in the earlier sessions when I have been suffering from understeer, but that is what the car could do when it counted. I think we have a good strategy for the race, so we will have to wait and see what will happen tomorrow.”

No mention of the obviously true engine issue... even when he talked about the engine issue (pre-race, mind you), he was not whining and simply stating a fact. I am not defending anyone, but I think you are biased already and I'm sure you have your reasons, but you should admit that in this instance, not only was he right, but he handled it in a cool, non emotional way. And don't forget that RD and JPM are fighting a political battle where every little comment to the media is calculated, which is precisely the reason for this thread to exist.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is Ron Dennis playing favorites?