Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Max that F****ing IDIOT!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F248 F1
Angry Max that F****ing IDIOT!!!!

A freeze on engine technology, a single tyre supplier and four-race gearboxes are among the major changes to Formula One’s Sporting Regulations for 2008, as revealed by the FIA on Wednesday.

For the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons, teams will only be allowed to use one engine design, which must be submitted to the FIA for homologation no later than June 1 this year. Subsequent changes will only be permitted with agreement of the FIA and all other engine suppliers.

A single tyre supplier will be chosen for the same three-year period. At each race, every team will receive the same tyres - two dry-weather compounds, one wet-weather tyre and one extreme-weather tyre. Tyre warmers will be banned.

The two-event engine requirement will remain, but gearboxes will have to last four Grands Prix. Unscheduled changes of either item will lead to a 15kg weight penalty for the car concerned. This will replace the existing system of ten-place grid penalties. Spare cars will be banned.

Testing outside races will be limited to 30,000 km per year. At races, parc ferme conditions will be extended to run from 18.30 on Friday evening until the start of the race. Currently, cars do not enter parc ferme conditions until after qualifying.

New teams will no longer be required to lodge the US$48 million deposit currently needed to join the series. Instead they must pay a €300,000 entry fee. There will be more scope for the use of customer components between teams, but major car manufacturers will not be able to supply engines to more than two teams without the permission of the FIA.

The maximum permitted length of the Formula One calendar will grow to 20 races. The longest season to date has been 19.

I'm sorry for the foul language, but this is pure HORSE ****!!!!!!!!

Last edited by egxpimp; 03-23-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Gpwc Gpwc Gpwc Gpwc Gpwc Gpwc Gpwc Gpwc!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
the slick tires and no warmers are cool.
everything else is bull****.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:59 AM

2008 BMW 335xi Coupe
i can't stand max mosley, the engine freeze and the 4-race gearbox rule is what is really pissing me off.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by kostas
i can't stand max mosley, the engine freeze and the 4-race gearbox rule is what is really pissing me off.

word
Old 03-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I don't like the standard engine rules, but the weight penalty for changing the engine or gearbox before allowed is more reasonable than the draconian, 10-place grid penalty. 15kg sounds like a light penalty, as some teams will gamble and offset the weight penalty by fuel loading adjustments.

I don't see the specification to allow a return to "Slick" tires in the first post in so many words. But if so, that would be good also.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
I don't like the standard engine rules, but the weight penalty for changing the engine or gearbox before allowed is more reasonable than the draconian, 10-place grid penalty. 15kg sounds like a light penalty, as some teams will gamble and offset the weight penalty by fuel loading adjustments.

I don't see the specification to allow a return to "Slick" tires in the first post in so many words. But if so, that would be good also.

the weight penalty is stupid, it would penalize the driver over the whole race, the 10 places could be made up, 5 easily at the start, with the right strategy its possible to win, with the weight penalty it will be imposible
Old 03-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally Posted by AMG_55
the weight penalty is stupid, it would penalize the driver over the whole race, the 10 places could be made up, 5 easily at the start, with the right strategy its possible to win, with the weight penalty it will be imposible
Good point. Maybe that's why they made it only 15kg. 33 pounds is not much weight.

Last year, only the McLarens seemed to be able to make up the 10-position penalty with regularity, and then it usually was only Raikkonnen. The Ferraris had a hard time of it... Barichello almost never advanced beyond his starting position and MS only did so half the time. That's my memory of it, at least.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
Good point. Maybe that's why they made it only 15kg. 33 pounds is not much weight.

Last year, only the McLarens seemed to be able to make up the 10-position penalty with regularity, and then it usually was only Raikkonnen. The Ferraris had a hard time of it... Barichello almost never advanced beyond his starting position and MS only did so half the time. That's my memory of it, at least.
in f1 1lb is a lot of weight
Old 03-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Banned

F248 F1
yes 1lb is alot mb-bob ...isnt like 1 lap of fuel slow you down .2nths of a second...now think about what those extra 33 lbs would do! geezz...
Old 03-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally Posted by egutie6970
yes 1lb is alot mb-bob ...isnt like 1 lap of fuel slow you down .2nths of a second...now think about what those extra 33 lbs would do! geezz...
Yes, I am well aware that even a single pound of excess weight is not wanted in F1. The use of exotic materials to minimize component weight is part of the reason why F1 is so expensive. I've been following F1 for 40 years, and have videotaped every broadcast race (save 3) since 1982. So I understand this issue thoroughly.

Doing some rough math... The average F1 car burns about 1.5 gallons of fuel per lap. One gallon weighs 8 pounds, so 1.5 gallons is 12 pounds. Three laps of fuel (36 pounds) at .2 seconds per lap, yields a weight penalty of about .6 seconds per lap.

I agree that .6 seconds is a lot of time in F1, too. However, whether you think that is a handicap depends on which driver you are picking to drive with it. With either M.Schumacher, Alonso or Raikkonnen, not so much really. A bad set of tires can be as much of a handicap, or worse.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Talking

^^^thats true^^^
kimi can win w/ 33333lbs
Old 03-28-2006, 10:15 AM

2008 BMW 335xi Coupe
i dunno, i always found the races with kimi going from 17th to 1st really exciting.. putting him in the front with a lot more weight will take away that excitement