Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

So, does Kimi have a chance this year?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
So, does Kimi have a chance this year?

Ever since 2 years ago when he challenged MS for the Championship, Kimi seems to be right in the thick of things, but somehow some type of obstacle always gets in his way, & it's usually a mechanical problem with his Mclaren.

It seems like the F1 Gods are punishing him. There is no doubt that he is the fastest if not one of the fastest out there. So do you think he can do it this year? I get so frustrated, because i know he can be world champion.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
I may not like Kimi because of his attitude and mumbling ways. But, their is no question, The guy has an amazing pace. Way too many incidents to write down where something mechanical sidelined him. (Remember the front suspension last year?) What race was it he took an engine change, and went from the back of the grid to second on a one stop strategy. So talented. If Ron Dennis doesn't get things in alignment, we are going to lose Kimi. I think Ron is even understanding that, because lately he has been so much kinder to JPM in his interviews.

I don't know what Kimi is going to do. While he brings home the points to McLaren, I'm no fan of him. But I cheer on his accomplishments as a McLaren fan. Now, next year with Alonso, boy I'm ready to be a FA fan.

Ed

Sheeet, I may just put Fernando in my signature
Old 04-05-2006, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I'm not a big fan of Alonso, but i'm sure that when he's in a Mclaren I will be.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:03 PM

2008 BMW 335xi Coupe
so far this season.. him not winning round 2 and 3 were his fault.. not mclaren.. mclaren supplied him with a very fast car...

round 1 was mclaren's fault with the suspension failure..
round 2 was kliens fault for crashing into him (not mclaren's fault)
round 3 was his own fault for causing that flat spot on passing button (again not mclarens fault)

mclaren has upped their game in the reliability department this season if you ask me.. that was the only problem they had so far this season i believe... if you notice, once the front wing got changed in round 3, he posted a fastest lap...

he has a lot of potential to win.. but it's his own luck that is bad
Old 04-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Any way you look at it, Kimi is building himself a Sato-like reputation of being 'rough' on the equipment.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
I wouldn't go as far as the Sato comment.

However, I was quite pissed with JPM's comment that was reported on ITV. Saying that had he not been stacked behind Kimi he would have never shunted on the curb. In addition he said that Kimi was sleeping or not concentrating by posting a fast lap towards the end of the race. As in , why wasn't he driving like that the whole time.

What an A**
Old 04-06-2006, 06:55 PM

If McLaren can get the car sorted out, and its a BIG if, they have as much a chance as anyone on the grid.

When Fred gets there next year, I imagine some things will shake out as far as the CAR is concerned. He is a more mature driver.

As for JPM, sack him. I cant BELIEVE McLaren, with the image they project, has this guy on the payroll. I was a DC fan, inspite of his habitual "I am going to win the championship" rhetoric every year. He fit the profile of this team. JPM is NOT the guy for McLaren.

And one other nugget for you all. Mika was far superior to Kimi in every way.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by EffOne
I liked (and still like Mika)....but he was a head case. Remember all the crying and boo-hooing after some disappointing losses? Fact of the matter is that Kimi is more talented....I just hope McLaren will be able to retain him for '07 and beyond!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Banned

F248 F1
I'm afraid to say it but if Imola does not go well for Ferrari and the Macas, we can kiss the WDC goodbye to Fonzi. Whoever comes ontop of Imola has a good shot to take a fight to Fonzi...if Fonzi takes it--We are gona have to wait till 07
Old 04-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Originally Posted by EffOne
According to Ron Dennis, Kimi is superior in his ability to "shrug off negative situations and setbacks" (read, car breaking down). You've never seen Kimi cry his way back to the pits like Mika has, now have you? Brave young lad.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
if the car is as fast as it was in bahrain (the only place race where its true potential was unleashed) and as reliable as it has been so far (knock on wood) then kimi has a very good chance, hes the fastest driver out there (raw speed).