Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Ferrari Domination getting boring?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes | Bmw | Audi
Question Ferrari Domination getting boring?

Does anyone believe this?

I think Williams and McLaren Really need to get a good package cause honestly now the races are getting boring with the scarlet cars going ahead in majority of the races...

Will they get better next year? Or for how many more years do we see same old boring races?
Old 08-19-2002, 04:13 PM

ML 500 Sport
Part of it is Hungary...what a lousy track!!!

I sure hope it all gets better next Year!
Old 08-19-2002, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
My guess is that Ferrari will continue to dominate the rest of the season because the other teams won't bother to develop the current cars in favor of focusing on 2003. Hopefully, 2003 will be interesting; although my guess is that if Ferrari looks to dominate the FIA will impose somekind of rule change to slow them down (Eccelstone hates nothing more than losing money - no one's going to bother watching F1 anymore if Ferrari always wins).

Cheers, BT
Old 08-19-2002, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
my guess is that if Ferrari looks to dominate the FIA will impose somekind of rule change to slow them down
Such as...?
I think making everyone use the same tire (should I spell it 'tyre' for an F1 discussion?) would be a good start
Old 08-21-2002, 11:24 AM
hrh
Almost a Member!

C230K
I know I'll get pounced on for this, since everyone seems to love to hate MS, but the real problem is that you have the best driver in the best car. Look at the past when McLaren, or before them
Williams, dominated. Frequently the #1 driver in that team won, and MS made up the difference his car lacked by either driving the wheels off it, or occasionally, resorting to running the opp. off the road. But the simple point was, the most exciting races were when MS was in an inferior car and MH, JV, DH had the better car.

Simple fact remains that whether or not he's aging and still at, or past his prime, as long as Ferrari make the best car, and MS is in it, there will be few surprises, save for mechanical failure or freak weather conditions.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:56 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by hrh
I know I'll get pounced on for this, since everyone seems to love to hate MS, but the real problem is that you have the best driver in the best car. Look at the past when McLaren, or before them
Williams, dominated. Frequently the #1 driver in that team won, and MS made up the difference his car lacked by either driving the wheels off it, or occasionally, resorting to running the opp. off the road. But the simple point was, the most exciting races were when MS was in an inferior car and MH, JV, DH had the better car.

Simple fact remains that whether or not he's aging and still at, or past his prime, as long as Ferrari make the best car, and MS is in it, there will be few surprises, save for mechanical failure or freak weather conditions.
Good comments. Anyone remember the season when McLaren won 14 of 16 races? ('87 or '88?) That was boring, too.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:26 PM
hrh
Almost a Member!

C230K
Originally posted by MB-BOB

Good comments. Anyone remember the season when McLaren won 14 of 16 races? ('87 or '88?) That was boring, too.
Wasn't that when Senna and Prost were on the team? Same situation, times two.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:46 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by hrh
Wasn't that when Senna and Prost were on the team? Same situation, times two.
Exactly! Aside from the intense rivalry between the two, the season was a sleeper.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes | Bmw | Audi
87' 88' probbaly i was just 9-10 yr old!
so dunno much,

But was it so bad? I mean all the time wud they just move ahead as if they are floating faster then the others?!

MB-BOB r u the person that has a lot of F1 races taped?

Thanx,
Old 08-24-2002, 08:24 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
All the races since 1982, yes. Except for 2 or 3 races... First one is the race following the Zolder weekend in which G. Villeneuve died. (I'm pretty sure.)

Back then, ESPN didn't televise all the races... or cover them live... or in full length. Usually just 1-hour summary shows, etc. Then there was the annual 1-week delayed ABC show at Monaco, etc.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
1988: McLaren 15 of 16 except for Monza - when the ghost of Enzo Ferrari (who had died about two weeks before the race), disguised as Jean-Marie Schlesser, bumped Senna out of the race while being lapped to give Gerhard Berger and the late Michele Albereto a Ferrari 1-2.

At least McLaren and Williams when they have had super dominant cars let their drivers race each other. Although this strategy did cause Williams to lose the 1986 driver's championship to McLaren and Prost.

Cheers, BT
Old 08-27-2002, 08:21 AM
hrh
Almost a Member!

C230K
Speaking of Domination, if anyone has a videotape of Senna running circles around everyone in the torrential rain at Donnington in 1993, and can duplicate same, please e-mail me.