Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Breaking News: Montoya to NASCRAP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2006 | 12:05 PM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Breaking News: Montoya to NASCRAP

Montoya will race for Chip Ganassi in Nascar in 2007. It's on Speed right now.

This ought to be good.
Old 07-09-2006 | 12:40 PM

2004 E55 AMG

maybe he'l do better turning 1 way
Old 07-09-2006 | 12:52 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
So I guess he was practicing bump drafting with Kimi at Indy! Anyway, it's sad not to see his potential realized in F1... and I'm sad to see him go. He will be missed (coz I'm not about to start watching Nascar).
Old 07-09-2006 | 01:11 PM
ON PROBATION

I do find the news to be a little bit...distasteful....

But there is money in NASCRAP (like that - gonna start using it ) so I could see why it might be a good move for him racing-wise.

Be interesting to hear how he does ('cause I sure-as-Hell ain't a-gonna watch it!).

I wonder how he'll get along with the good ol' boys? Quite a culture-shock from F1!!! LOL.

Old 07-09-2006 | 02:59 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Is this a joke ?! i need to go check... and like a few of you have said... its just to bad since i'm not going to watch NASCAR just for JPM.
Old 07-09-2006 | 04:32 PM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Not a joke --> http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/28230/

"Chip Ganassi and Juan Montoya will be reunited in 2007 but it won't be in open wheel racing.

In one of the most shocking career changes in recent memory, Montoya is leaving Formula 1 to drive for Ganassi in NASCAR's Nextel Cup series.

Montoya was named to drive the No. 41 car in a press conference this morning at Chicagoland Speedway.

Despite seven wins during the past six years, the 30-year-old Colombian found himself in F1 limbo because his contract with McLaren is not being renewed and no other good F1 seats were open."

He made a few jabs about the lack of passing in F1 and if you rub wheels you are meanie.
Old 07-10-2006 | 01:25 AM

C230k, A170, Mustang GT Convertable
Villeneuve is rumored to be looking to make the switch as well. Gunther Steiner, technical manager from RBR F1 team, has gone over to oversee the RBR NASCAR program. I think as you see F1 technically neutered with spec parts you will likely see more engineering types make the move as well.
Old 07-10-2006 | 01:34 AM
Banned

F248 F1
Originally Posted by GP2GP
Villeneuve is rumored to be looking to make the switch as well. Gunther Steiner, technical manager from RBR F1 team, has gone over to oversee the RBR NASCAR program. I think as you see F1 technically neutered with spec parts you will likely see more engineering types make the move as well.
YEah, screw the FIA! IF anyone has any connections what-so-ever with those morons in the FIA please smack them in the heaD!!! they are killing the sport!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2006 | 02:12 AM

C230k, A170, Mustang GT Convertable
You don't know how bad I would like to ditch slap Max when I see him.
Old 07-10-2006 | 08:23 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
I was a bit shocked to hear about this as well. But after some reflection it makes at least some sense.

- Kimi pretty well owned him at McLaren...
- McLaren told him he wasn't welcome anymore. How's that for one's ego?
- Rides at Ferrari and Renault were out of the question apparently, so...
- His F1 days with a leading team were over. I give him more credit for recognizing this than Villeneuve, Coulthard.

- He has a home and family in Miami...
- He said last night that any NASCAR Race venue is only 3 hours away from Miami.
- The Ganassi connection is obvious.
- He will be an instant hit with Latinos that don't currently watch NASCAR.
- Regardless of what any of you think, it will pull some fans into NASCAR that wouldn't watch it before.

- Returning to open wheel racing in the US would suggest instant comparisons with the past, for which he would have to measure up right away.
- Starting in NASCAR would give him a clean slate to work with...
- His experience in road racing gives him a natural advantage at the few places where they turn right...
- His prior oval track experience (apparently forgotten by many) will make him a sleeper to contend with.
- Like it or not, there is more "passing" and paint trading in NASCAR...
- So kudos to JPM for seeing beyond the snobbishness...

I'm not happy to see him go from F1, but at least it's a bold move that will keep them talking, as it does here.
Old 07-10-2006 | 08:39 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Another advantage is that he can keep racing Nascar for another 10-15 years if he's good. In F1, even if he got another top team and won a couple of WDC's, he would have about 6 more years and that's it.

I guess his goal was to be WDC in F1, and now that there is little hope for that, he's setting a new goal. More power to him. Besides, I've heard that his 'toy-garage' in Miami is the stuff dreams are made of.
Old 07-10-2006 | 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Sad to see him leave F1, i wish him luck in his future.
Old 07-10-2006 | 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
I was a bit shocked to hear about this as well. But after some reflection it makes at least some sense.

- His F1 days with a leading team were over. I give him more credit for recognizing this than Villeneuve, Coulthard.

- He said last night that any NASCAR Race venue is only 3 hours away from Miami.
- Regardless of what any of you think, it will pull some fans into NASCAR that wouldn't watch it before.

- Returning to open wheel racing in the US would suggest instant comparisons with the past, for which he would have to measure up right away.
- His experience in road racing gives him a natural advantage at the few places where they turn right...
- His prior oval track experience (apparently forgotten by many) will make him a sleeper to contend with.

I'm not happy to see him go from F1, but at least it's a bold move that will keep them talking, as it does here.
Thanks for putting those thoughts out their. I'm just dying on the inside over this.

Ed
Old 07-10-2006 | 03:58 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
Thanks for putting those thoughts out their. I'm just dying on the inside over this.
Ed
As much as I like Montoya myself, one can't cry too hard over this. Race Car drivers come and go like the latest music fads. Here today, gone tomorrow. And every single one has made 1000's of times more money than me, so I have no problem releasing them from my emotions.

Some baggage you can internalize. Other baggage is not worth it.
Old 07-10-2006 | 09:52 PM

C32
There's a lot of money in NASCAR (WWE on wheels) and it has always tried and failed to pull in any minority viewers, but that has to be a major drop on his ego. But if there's a good job, why not take it?

As long as the average NASCAR fan doesn't think Juan Pablo is an illegal, it's all good.
Old 07-10-2006 | 10:50 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Originally Posted by MB-BOB

good point MB . I will sure as heck will miss JPM... my little brother started watching F1 because of him and his daring passes on MS that no one else dared to take. :/ good luck to him at NASCAR ... :/ i feel bad now! I didnt get to see him race ! ---- oh well you never know ! i might get to later this year! ( i really hope i do ! )
Old 07-22-2006 | 09:41 AM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...
What I hate about this is that a lot of NASCAR fans are getting too excited saying that their sport is superior than F1 and that a lot of others would want to come, some people were saying that Schumecher would come etc (which is BS, he already made a public commen that ht eis not going).

My quess for Montoya, is that he is going to get very dissapointed in NASCAR. Did he had any other contract from ny F1 team? Maybe he didn't have another contract and that'swhy we is going there.
Old 07-22-2006 | 03:11 PM
ON PROBATION

Haven't all of the other serious racecar drivers tried NASCRAP - and then left?

We'll see if Montoya is any different than all of the others whom have come before him....
Old 07-23-2006 | 08:52 AM

'06 C230 Capri Blue
Originally Posted by kchristos
What I hate about this is that a lot of NASCAR fans are getting too excited saying that their sport is superior than F1
Right... no one in their right mind (or should I say "left turning" mind) could honestly say that. Comparing Apples to Potatoes.
Old 07-31-2006 | 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
If you guys want to see what the rednecks think, you may want to check this out.

Ed

http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0