Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Jan. Issue of F1 RACING....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by hatem
i m surprised that jpm is in the top 25 and prost is after kimi. and mansell is # 4
Agreed. Mansell was admired for this heart and bravery, and I was a BIG fan myself, but that doesn't make a great driver. He was never regarded as extremely skilled.

Ronnie Peterson, Jochen Rindt and Gilles Villeneuve (RIP, all died on track) were all of the same ilk. Perhaps the "RIP" part boosts them near the top without a single Championship among them. Their "legends" in death seem to supercede their actual achievements in life, imo.

But for each to outrank 4-time WDC ALAIN PROST, and 3-time WDC JACKIE STEWART is a real stretch, IMO. Both Prost and Stewart were less flamboyant (most of the time), but they were consistent drivers of supreme skill. Stewart's 4-minute victory in the driving rain at the Nurburgring, 1968 is still considered among the best personal achievements, ever. Both Prost and Stewart campaigned while drivers and after to increase F1 safety, which contributed to the sport and cannot be denied. I would rank both above Mansell, as well.

And what of 3-time WDC Nelson Piquet as #15? Another quiet, but reliable driver who won championships among two different constructors.

And how Button and Webber make the list at all escapes me completely.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
that list is CRAP !!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F248 F1
The ones in bold are the ones i think are out of place...

1.Senna
2.Schumi
3.Clark
4.Mansell
5.Peterson
6.Fangio
7.Hakkinen
8.Alonso-...not top 20 IMO
9.Stewart
10.Rindt
11.Villeneuve Sr.
12.Moss
13.Raikkonen- not top 40 IMO
14.Prost
15.Piquet
16.Ascari
17.Fittipaldi
18.Lauda
19.Bellof
20.Rosberg Sr.
21.Hunt
22.Jones
23.Cevert
24.Amon
25.JPM- as much as i like the guy.. not top 40
26.Ickx
27.Andretti (mario)- out of the list
28.Reutemann
29.Pryce
30.Scheckter
31.Hill- in the top 20
32.Brabham
33.Farina
34.Stuck
35.Pace
36.Brooks
37.Surtees
38.Servoz-Gavin
39.Berger- in the top 30
40.Siffert
41.Pironi
42.Trulli- out of the list
43.Webber- out of the list
44.Arnoux
45.Alesi- top 25
46.Gurney
47.Patrese
48.Jarier
49.Button- out of the list
50.Brise
35.[/quote]
Old 01-08-2007, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Originally Posted by egxpimp
im getting critized by NOLA cuz i have music on ...great...show me how good you can drive and if you show me your better then ill take your ****en opinion serious other then that...blow off.....
Listen you piece of ****, I'm only pointing out the obvious, glaring errors you make which are indicative of a defective mind. Hot lapping with distractions on, bad brakes, bald tires, adverse conditions, etc, etc. You haven't shown you're a good driver, all you've shown is that you are a negligent, whiny teenager (I care little how old you actually are) who thinks skill will bail him out of every situation. I advise that you change your attitude towards driving or you'll end up regretting it, because you are getting pretty serious with it. Otherwise, drive on...
Old 01-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
ill pay anyone $20 to go in passenger seat with eg drving you will have the ride of your life
I'll give you $100 to go in the pgr seat with my blind grandmother driving...
Old 01-08-2007, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
nola/ed... i asked vadim to critize me
Did you have to hijack this thread? Really, did you?

If you really wanted 1 specific person to criticize you, you could and should have used PMs. That's what they are there for.

And you obviously know how to PM, by your own admission...

i have told him that thousands of times in PM's,,,
Nola, et al -- can we pls keep this thread about F1? I'm sure there were/are/will be plenty of EG-bashing opportunities in OT...pls resist that temptation here
Old 01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Mika...he was a fast driver but he didnt have the 'whole' package...i just wish he would have continued to race longer...same with Juan...
What a load of bollocks. What exactly is missing in a package that won 2 WDC crowns and took a 3rd title to the wire? Not to mention having to beat MS in a fast and almost bullet-proof Ferrari...

Most drivers would kill to have a career summary that read '2 WDC and lost out on a 3rd at the last race of the season'.

Not only was he fast but he was also ice cool under pressure, bringing home WDC and Constructors titles at season-deciding races at Suzuka in 1998 and 1999. In that respect, his drives in those clutch races were more "brilliant" than his double overtaking of MS and Zonta at Spa the following year.

It's not like he was Damon Hill or JV, driving a car so far above its competitors that Williams' victory was a foregone conclusion (with teams like Ferrari and McLaren really struggling in those seasons).

Bottom Line: Easily the best driver after MS in the post-1994 era (and almost MS' equal).
Old 01-08-2007, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
You're listening too much to legend. As an adult, I watched every one of Senna's races, from his 1984 debut in the Toleman, the year before you were born. No doubt he was a brilliant driver, and I was a big fan, but he was no GOD.

No doubt there is a spot in everyone's heart because Senna died doing what he loved most, just as Jimmy Clark died 25 years before him. But that doesn't mean he gets an automatic pass to the head of the line. There were days when I watched Senna drive like an idiot. Suzuka, 1990 was only the most glaring instance. There were several others. I watched them all.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
The panel must be loaded with brits, otherwise who puts Mansell at #4?

You have got to be kidding. Not only are these brilliant drivers placed at #14 and beyond, but they are placed behind an unproven little kid like Raikkonen

Originally Posted by AMG_55

13.Raikkonen
14.Prost
15.Piquet
16.Ascari
17.Fittipaldi
18.Lauda
Old 01-08-2007, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
Agreed. Mansell was admired for this heart and bravery, and I was a BIG fan myself, but that doesn't make a great driver. He was never regarded as extremely skilled.

Ronnie Peterson, Jochen Rindt and Gilles Villeneuve (RIP, all died on track) were all of the same ilk. Perhaps the "RIP" part boosts them near the top without a single Championship among them. Their "legends" in death seem to supercede their actual achievements in life, imo.

But for each to outrank 4-time WDC ALAIN PROST, and 3-time WDC JACKIE STEWART is a real stretch, IMO. Both Prost and Stewart were less flamboyant (most of the time), but they were consistent drivers of supreme skill. Stewart's 4-minute victory in the driving rain at the Nurburgring, 1968 is still considered among the best personal achievements, ever. Both Prost and Stewart campaigned while drivers and after to increase F1 safety, which contributed to the sport and cannot be denied. I would rank both above Mansell, as well.

And what of 3-time WDC Nelson Piquet as #15? Another quiet, but reliable driver who won championships among two different constructors.

And how Button and Webber make the list at all escapes me completely.

Add to Stewart's achievements the fact that the Nurburgring was considered at that time to be one of the most scary, dangerous and deadly circuits to race.

Prost I've already discussed briefly earlier. Senna is considered #1 in this article but Prost was arguably better than Senna. At the least, he was his equal.

The elder Villenueve's legend has been enhanced, rightly or wrongly, by the considerable esteem and fondness Enzo Ferrari reportedly held for him. (Too bad his son's ego and nose for the biggest paycheck got bigger than his driving skills.)
Old 01-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by 1985MB380SE
The elder Villenueve's legend has been enhanced, rightly or wrongly, by the considerable esteem and fondness Enzo Ferrari reportedly held for him. (Too bad his son's ego and nose for the biggest paycheck got bigger than his driving skills.)
LOL! for sure you have this one nailed. Your other two comments are foregone conclusions.

Folks let's keep this thread civil. You may have an opinion, but others are entitled to their's too.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:37 AM

500E's
So is Driver 31 Graham, Damon or Phil? Phil and Damon have a WDC and Graham has two. But considering the number of Brits on the list of judges, it might just be Benny. No championships but makes as much sense as some of the other names on the list.

I have been watching F1 since the early 70's as an adult [yes, I am old] and have watched the Championships of many of the drivers in person both here in the US and at many of the tracks in Europe. Having also had a pro or amateur license since that time in both IMSA and SCCA I have spent much time at the tracks watching and driving and what I HAVE seen is that MS should be either 1 or 2 based purely on FOCUS. I think had there been years where he and Senna battled side by side, MS would have more than taken it to Senna as he did to Mika and everyone else that tried and failed. The absolute focus is what made him the champion that broke every record and that level transends the decades.

I have seen 26 F1 races live that MS has raced in and focus from Thursday to Sunday has been the one thing that struck me as the most compelling trait. Kimi's clubbing and partying is a flaw that will cost him the WDC as much as anything else will. Look how it cratered the careers of some of the more "playboy" F1 drivers over the past decades. Brilliant driving but lack of total focus.

Last edited by McBear; 01-10-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

If you guys read F1 racing mag more often, you would not be so bent out of shape. They publish bogus rankings as fillers all the time. The mag has nice pictures, some interesting tech, and a few behind the scenes stories. The editorial and original pieces mostly suck, IMO.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by McBear
So is Driver 31 Graham, Damon or Phil? Phil and Damon have a WDC and Graham has two. But considering the number of Brits on the list of judges, it might just be Benny. No championships but makes as much sense as some of the other names on the list.

Originally Posted by McBear
I have seen 26 F1 races live that MS has raced in and focus from Thursday to Sunday has been the one thing that struck me as the most compelling trait. Kimi's clubbing and partying is a flaw that will cost him the WDC as much as anything else will. Look how it cratered the careers of some of the more "playboy" F1 drivers over the past decades. Brilliant driving but lack of total focus.
Good point.

Kimi would do well to note the focus required & put in even by drivers as naturally talented as Senna. There's no point ending up #1 on a list of "Quickest Drivers Never to Win a Championship."
Old 01-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

From what I've read and understand in about 20 years of fandom, mounting a title season is a titanic effort on the driver's part that goes well beyond driving the car.