Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

F1 changes for 2003

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2002 | 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
F1 changes for 2003

Courtesy of Autosport:

Formula 1 qualifying will take the form of a single lap run in 2003 – the most radical decision taken following Monday's F1 meeting. The cars will take to the track in championship order on Friday - with the leader going first - and the times from this session will determine the order the cars run on Saturday, the fastest car going last.

Next season will also see a change to the F1 points scoring system with points awarded to the top eight in 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 order.

Team orders 'that affect overall race results' will be outlawed, although there has been no word yet on how this will be implemented.

An interesting restriction on testing has been announced, which allows teams who agree with the FIA to test for 10 days or less during the season being granted two additional hours of running on the Friday of a GP. This proposal will only take place if three or more teams sign up to the agreement.

As predicted, the tyre manufacturers – currently Michelin and Bridgestone – will be allowed to supply each team with two different compounds at each race, rather than two compounds for all their teams as is currently the case.

And finally, the Belgian GP has been stripped of its place on the 2003 calendar. No race will take its place, leaving just 16 rounds next year.
Interesting, the points change diminishes the value of a win somewhat while awarding consistency more. I thing they should have gone more like 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 plus had a point for pole. The qualifying change is interesting - should mix up the grid somewhat as a single-lap qualifying mistake can put a fast driver pretty far back in the field (I also assume that the 107% rule will probably no apply with this format). The tire change rule should benefit Williams and McLaren - I think that in 2002 when the tires worked for one chassis they weren't so good for the other - this rule change should aleviate that - as well as nullifying somewhat Bridgestone and Ferrari's close relationship which worked so well for them this past season. Spa will reappear on the calendar only if the Belgian goverment changes the way the tobacco laws apply to that race - otherwise it's gone (sniff ).

- BT

Last edited by trench; 10-28-2002 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2002 | 04:46 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
The decision to drop Spa is almost as laughable as the CART race at Surfer's Paradise over the past weekend. Almost...

I simply cannot believe that F1 presumes to be so arrogant. I don't understand why they'll race at several other tracks without tobacco livery yet get their **** in a roar over Belguim, three years before they do away with cigarette sponsorship altogether. How short-sighted!

(All the other changes pale into insignificance, IMO.)

I hope Bernie Ecclestone smokes one to many cancer sticks and keels over some day.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 10-28-2002 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2002 | 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by MB-BOB
I simply cannot believe that F1 presumes to be so arrogant. I don't understand why they'll race at several other tracks without tobacco livery yet get their **** in a roar over Belguim, three years before they do away with cigarette sponsorship altogether. How short-sighted!
I don't understand dropping it when the tobacco sponsorship days are numbered, either. I think the FIA feels that they can pressure the small Belgian goverment into captiulating over the tobacco issue (which the larger British and French goverments would never do). I imagine that single race has a pretty sizeable impact on the regional economy for that portion of Belgium, which is why they think that the goverment will cave.

I have the feeling that the FIA is going to play hardball when the issue of the tobacco sponsorship moritorium comes up in a few years. Why bother having all of those races in Europe when there are plenty of countries around the world that would love to have a race and don't give a crap about tobacco sponsorship. It wouldn't surprise me if the European races were limited to Britain, France, Germany (one race), Italy (one race), Monaco and Hungary (I assume tobacco sponsorship will still be allowed in Hungary which is why it will stay on the books - probably Monaco as well). That would be only four races without tobacco (five for Ferrari as they can't use Marlboro in the US) - probably acceptable to Bernie.

- BT
Old 10-28-2002 | 06:49 PM

996 Turbo
I personally find the pole setting positions quite laughable....

All I see happening is teams will simply be slowing down there qualifying lap times while tuning the car during practice sessions. I would imagine the top 3 teams suddenly braking at last turn simply to slow their lap times down so they can start at the beginning of the race start.

What they should do is place the #1 position for the CURRENT season at the back of the pack so as to disadvantage him and for the starting race put the first person from last years championship at the end of the pack, as well as totally eliminate qualifying with an extra day of testing.

I can see it now all teams trying to perfect by exactly how much they need to slow their cars down rather than pulling the fastest lap times
Old 10-28-2002 | 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by FInality
I personally find the pole setting positions quite laughable....
I think you're a bit confused on how the new qualifying will work. On Friday there is a single-lap qualifying session (order of qualifying is determined by current championship position). The fastest driver in this session goes last in the Saturday single-lap qualifying session (second quickest on Friday goes second to last on Saturday, etc). The quickest time from Saturday wins pole position for the race.

Cheers, BT

Last edited by trench; 10-28-2002 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2002 | 08:02 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by trench
I don't understand dropping it when the tobacco sponsorship days are numbered, either. I think the FIA feels that they can pressure the small Belgian goverment into captiulating over the tobacco issue (which the larger British and French goverments would never do). I imagine that single race has a pretty sizeable impact on the regional economy for that portion of Belgium, which is why they think that the goverment will cave.

I have the feeling that the FIA is going to play hardball when the issue of the tobacco sponsorship moritorium comes up in a few years. Why bother having all of those races in Europe when there are plenty of countries around the world that would love to have a race and don't give a crap about tobacco sponsorship. It wouldn't surprise me if the European races were limited to Britain, France, Germany (one race), Italy (one race), Monaco and Hungary (I assume tobacco sponsorship will still be allowed in Hungary which is why it will stay on the books - probably Monaco as well). That would be only four races without tobacco (five for Ferrari as they can't use Marlboro in the US) - probably acceptable to Bernie.

- BT
Yes, I think you're right about them trying to pressure Belgium into capitulating. Evidence is that they will not apparently fill the schedule with another venue to replace Belguim, leaving room for them to cave in so the race can be put back on the calendar.

trench, help me remember which races are non-tobacco. I seem to think that British and French are non-tobacco already.

I think that Williams has this one right, by converting over to non-tobacco now, rather than wait until the last minute. It doesn't seem to have hurt them one bit.

I think it's ironic that the world's premiere racing technology event has to rely on sponsorship increasingly on the outs with modern societies. Can't see the sport appealing to third world countires where fans can hardly afford their next pack of Marlboros, let alone a $200 seat at a car race. Phillip Morris already sells more than 50% of its product in backward, 3rd world countries where the govts don't care to intervene... good riddance.

I am really angry over this. Almost makes me want to give up following F1.
Old 10-29-2002 | 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by MB-BOB
trench, help me remember which races are non-tobacco. I seem to think that British and French are non-tobacco already.
Right now it's only Britain and France. Plus in the US tobacco sponsorship is only allowed for one major sporting event/team per brand - since Marlboro sponsors team Penske in the IRL, Ferrari can't use the logos in the USGP, but McLaren can use West. Germany used to not allow tobacco sponsorship, but now they do for some reason. They had it in Belgium, didn't allow it for a couple of years, but now it's allowed again (I think from the last time Bernie threatened to steal their race).

Here's something to fuel you'r anger, Bob.

Courtesy of Autosport:
Motorsport's governing body, the FIA, has categorically stated that the Belgian Grand Prix will not feature on the 2003 Formula 1 calendar, even if Belgian politicians agree to relax their country's stance on tobacco advertising. In the wake of Monday's announcement that Spa is off next year's calendar, there have been calls in Belgium to look again at its unilateral prohibition of cigarette advertising – a world wide ban comes into effect in 2006. An FIA statement left the door open for Spa to return in 2004, if tobacco advertising is permitted, but with Bahrain and China guaranteed a place on the calendar its chances of regaining its spot look slim.
- BT

Last edited by trench; 10-29-2002 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2002 | 04:43 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
GRRRRRRR!

This attitude is about as arrogant as Ferrari orchestrating its 1-2 finishes, IMO.
Old 10-29-2002 | 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
As far as the new qualifying system, I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari claimed every pole seat for the 2003 season. Schumi will finally have his chance to break Senna's record.

Some other changes for 2003:
Then team orders: team orders which interfere with the race result are prohibited. There will be no more team orders which can interfere with the race and the result of the race.

Finally, on tyres, each team will be allowed two different dry tyres at each event. Previously, as you know, each tyre company would provide two tyres only for all its teams and each team had to choose a tyre from the same two tyres. They will no longer have that restriction.

We also discussed the HANS system which is a big change for the drivers and we decided that everybody will have to wear the HANS system in 2003, but they can modify it if they have physical difficulty fitting it, provided the Safety Commission agree the modification.
Here are questions asked by the press:

Two questions for you both, please. Could you just clarify when they run in qualifying on Friday, will they run for the whole season in the previous season's World Championship order or will they run in the running world championship order, race to race?

Max Mosley: It will be the World Championship running order. In the very first race we will use the previous year's Championship. After that, as the Championship progresses, so will the running order.

And the other question was will the car going out on its second run, on its 'out lap', actually be running at the same time as the first car coming in on its 'in lap', because of the mathematics of running 20 cars, you're not going to quite get it done in an hour, are you?

Max Mosley: It will be done well within the hour. The scheme will vary from circuit to circuit as the lap times vary but in principle as the first car crosses the line at the end of its flying lap the next car will go out. The precise schedule and the way it will all be arranged with a slot for each car will be sorted out circuit by circuit, but the essence of it is that when a car is on its flying lap there will be no other car on a flying lap at the same time.

Is there any way back in for Spa if the Belgian Government changes its tobacco legislation? And there's also some speculation that if F1 doesn't happen, maybe a chance of a Champ Car race there? Is there any possibility of that?

Bernie Ecclestone: What is going to happen I think is the Government is quite convinced that the laws will be changed for next year and that we will be back in 2004. I don't believe we are going to see CART racing there at all.

Last edited by Accord; 10-29-2002 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2002 | 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by Accord
As far as the new qualifying system, I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari claimed every pole seat for the 2003 season. Schumi will finally have his chance to break Senna's record.
Hard to say - if it's dry at the beginning of the Saturday session and then wet at the end it will screw all of the quickest guys from Friday. Montoya's pretty fast over a single lap as well - I think that the most of the pole positions will still probably be split between these guys.

Winning six WC and Senna's record are the only records MS doesn't hold. He may claim he doesn't care about records but that's bullcrap - he'll never retire until he owns these as well.

- BT
Old 10-30-2002 | 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Ferrari probably has statisticians working around the clock finding out ways to manipulate the new rules.
Old 10-30-2002 | 05:00 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
On reflection, I actually like one aspect of the new qualifying scheme. We won't be treated to 20 minutes of completely empty track during each session. Also, the consequences of making a mistake on that critical lap at, say, Hungary are terrible to contemplate. One mistake by a front-runner might actually make Hungary slightly interesting. Pressure, pressure.