Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Belgian Gran Prix! HOLY CRAP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML500, 06 Subaru STI, 03 Yamaha R6
Well I guess they will hear the appeal, according to TSN.CA

"The matter will now go before the FIA's International Court of Appeal. A date has yet to be set but the governing body said it the hearing would be held in Paris before the Singapore Grand Prix, which is scheduled for September 28th."

although I would contend that it is to late as it should be completed before the next race in my not so humble opinion.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:47 PM

MK IV .:R32
dude he (King Lewis) got robbed

plain and simple

It was a DOPE ending though not matter what the final outcome of the appeals is. And if they don't give him back the win it will be a really second half of the season with him and Massa so close

BTW: Did anyone else think that the helicopter shots were sooo sick of the car coming up the hill (if you were watching on Speed Network)?

Last edited by shivi1345; 09-10-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Well, well,

Seems ol' Ron Dennis had cleared with Whitemarsh "the pass." Then the local stewards made a different choice....

This will not go away quickly.

It will be a complete shame if this controversy effects the year end results.

E
Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 PM

'11 997.2 Carrera GTS
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
Well, well,

Seems ol' Ron Dennis had cleared with Whitemarsh "the pass." Then the local stewards made a different choice....

This will not go away quickly.

It will be a complete shame if this controversy effects the year end results.

E
You mean charlie whiting. Whitmarsh works for mclaren.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:10 PM

2004 E55 AMG, 2002 Porsche 996 TT, 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, 2004 F360
I just watched the race this morning. Although I already knew the outcome and controversy. I hope that the FIA reverses their decision. In any case LH will will have a fire in him for Monza.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
Originally Posted by tthoang1
I hope that the FIA reverses their decision.
will never happen!
Old 09-10-2008, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
?
PHP Code:
BTWDid anyone else think that the helicopter shots were sooo sick of the car coming up the hill (if you were watching on Speed Network)? 
They were the most epic shots ever!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hakaida442
You mean charlie whiting. Whitmarsh works for mclaren.
yep, yep, I was typing too fast.

E
Old 09-12-2008, 03:03 AM

'04 E55; '03 E500 Sport
Pat Symonds weighs in....

From http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70457 :

Symonds: Spa penalty will stifle racing

By Jonathan Noble

Renault director of engineering Pat Symonds believes Lewis Hamilton was hard done with his Belgian Grand Prix penalty - and reckons the controversy will only harm attempts to make the sport more exciting.

Speaking on the official Renault podcast in the wake of Hamilton being stripped of victory for gaining an advantage by cutting a chicane, the highly respected Symonds sees nothing wrong with the way that Hamilton let Raikkonen retake the lead as they battled at Spa-Francorchamps.

And although rubbishing accusations in the media and from fans that the penalty was evidence of a bias towards Ferrari by F1's chiefs, he thinks there are implications from the controversy that could result in drivers being less willing to take risks in the future.

"As it happened in real time, we were talking on the intercom and said: 'Wow that was definitely a situation where he has to give the place back,'" he said. "I guess we weren't that surprised when the stewards were found to be investigating it. Having looked at it again, I feel very, very sorry for Lewis. I think he has been very hard done
by.

"It raises lots of interesting questions, and I am not talking about 'Are the FIA on the side of Ferrari?' We have to believe that they are impartial, the sport would not exist if we didn't believe that. But I think it does call into question [the sport's] philosophy, because everyone is saying we need more overtaking in Formula One, we need more excitement, and we need more personalities.

"And yet it seems to me that everything that actually happens seems to be against that.

"Here we had a great race with people really challenging each other and for why? If it's taken away, then why take that risk?"

Symonds has looked at video replays of the incident since Sunday's race and now believes that Hamilton had complied with the rules and not gained an advantage by cutting the chicane.

"To me the facts are quite clear in retrospect. I have had a look at the videos, I've had a look at the published data which shows that Lewis was nearly 7 km/h slower than Raikkonen across the line, you can quite clearly see on the in-car camera that he lets him get completely in front, and in my view Raikkonen just braked very early.

"Lewis went inside him, and if you look at the in-car camera stuff, Lewis drove around the hairpin very easily. He didn't have a big slide, he didn't have to correct it, he hadn't gone in too deep and come out wide, it was a perfectly legitimate manouevre, and it wasn't that much later that Raikkonen went past him.

"This is racing, this is what we want."

And Symonds believes that more should be done to improve the speed by which decisions are made.

"I think motor racing should be like football, not like cricket," he said, with stewards taking two hours to decide on Hamilton's punishment on Sunday night. "Let's have action, let's know what is going on in real time, not wait for two days to find out the result."
Old 09-12-2008, 03:08 AM

'04 E55; '03 E500 Sport
(Ralf) Schumacher also weighs in...

From http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...08173841.shtml :

Ralf Schumacher also denounces Hamilton penalty
Ralf Schumacher, a winner of six Grand Prix who left Formula One at the end of last year, has sided with those who believe FIA officials were wrong to strip Lewis Hamilton of his Belgian Grand Prix victory.

The German, whose elder brother Michael won five World Championships with Ferrari, believes the Spa-Francorchamps episode is yet another piece of evidence that the Italian team is favoured by Formula One's ruling body.

"Lewis deserved to win but it was taken away," Schumacher, who now races in the German touring car series DTM, wrote in the German newspaper Bild. "To me, it was fair overtaking," he added.

Ralf, 33, said the 2008 championship fight has entered a "crucial phase."

"In my experience, Ferrari has always had priority in Formula One, which we have seen in many situations," he insisted.

In the German-speaking world, Schumacher is certainly not a lone voice, with the former triple World Champion Niki Lauda on Monday dramatically denouncing the stewards' decision as the worst "in the history of F1."

Ferrari's team boss Stefano Domenicali commented only reluctantly, telling reporters that he thought Hamilton's tactics in passing Kimi Raikkonen were "a little bit extreme."

The notorious Italian press was more forthright.

Summarising the race, the sports daily Corriere dello Sport said: "Hamilton wins but then loses, because he cannot resist the temptation to try to be smarter than the others."

© CAPSIS International
Source: GMM
Old 09-12-2008, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The more I think about it, the more I hate this.

So, Kimi could have chosen to brake ANYWHERE, and still Hami couldn't pass. Then the rules should state, no passing until after the first corner....

This just gets more ridiculous.

E
Old 09-12-2008, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

*** retarded! very frustration day to read this stuff! The renault guy summed it up perfectly.

The red team should step up and denounce this win and denounce the decision by the stewards.!
Old 09-21-2008, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think tomorrow is the big day when FIA meets to hear Mclaren protest on the K.H L.H chican pass B.S.!

I'll be praying for justice!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
i'll light a candle !
Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 AM

Me, Too on the candle. I dont know how this can go any other way than to reverse the decision. He outbroke KR into the first corner cleanly, this is racing after all not a macramay(sp) class. That being said now that they have said that they must not pass before the next corner it is clearer and a repeat incident would deserve the penalty.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

they will make a decision tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:16 PM

2004 E55 AMG, 2002 Porsche 996 TT, 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, 2004 F360
I know that the odds are very much against me, but I believe they will reverse the stewards post race drive through penalty.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:39 AM

The FIA’s International Court of Appeal has thrown out McLaren’s case against Lewis Hamilton’s recent Belgian Grand Prix penalty on the grounds that their appeal was inadmissible.

Hamilton had 25 seconds added to his Spa race time for gaining an advantage by cutting a chicane whilst fighting Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen for the lead. This was given in place of a drive-through penalty, as the incident occurred late in the race, and drive-throughs are not susceptible to appeal under the International Sporting Code.

McLaren had appealed the stewards' decision, which saw Hamilton drop from first to third in the Belgian results, on the grounds that their driver had relinquished the lead back to Raikkonen immediately following the incident in order to negate any advantage. They also cited the fact that on two occasions race control had told the team that Hamilton’s conduct appeared to be within the rules.

However, the Court rejected McLaren’s right to appeal, citing Paragraph 5 of Article 152 of the International Sporting Code, which states: “Penalties of driving through or stopping in pit lanes together with certain penalties specified in FIA Championship regulations where this is expressly stated, are not susceptible to appeal.”

The Court's decision means Hamilton’s championship lead remains at just a single point over Ferrari’s Felipe Massa, who inherited the victory at Spa.

The International Court of Appeal's decision in full:
At the Grand Prix of Belgium, run on 7 September 2008, and counting towards the 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship, the Stewards of the meeting imposed a drive-through penalty upon the driver of car No. 22, Lewis Hamilton, for a breach of Article 30.3 (a) of the 2008 FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations and Appendix L, Chapter 4, Article 2 (g) of the International Sporting Code.

As the drive-through penalty was imposed at the end of the race, 25 seconds were added to the driver’s elapsed race time in accordance with Article 16.3 of the FIA 2008 Formula One Sporting Regulations.

Article 152 of the International Sporting Code states that drive-through penalties are “not susceptible to appeal”.

The competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes appealed the Steward’s decision before the International Court of Appeal in a hearing in Paris on September 22nd.

Having heard the explanations of the parties the Court has concluded that the appeal is inadmissible."

From The F1 Site. -

How disgusting that the race is being won in the stewarts shack now and noone had the courage to right this wrong- Go Ferrari, I guess rooting for any other team apparently is a waste of time. Further why go through this farce for a pre ordained outcome.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:14 PM

MK IV .:R32
How disgusting that the race is being won in the stewarts shack now and noone had the courage to right this wrong- Go Ferrari, I guess rooting for any other team apparently is a waste of time. Further why go through this farce for a pre ordained outcome.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Frozenr6
The FIA’s International Court of Appeal has thrown out McLaren’s case against Lewis Hamilton’s recent Belgian Grand Prix penalty on the grounds that their appeal was inadmissible.

Hamilton had 25 seconds added to his Spa race time for gaining an advantage by cutting a chicane whilst fighting Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen for the lead. This was given in place of a drive-through penalty, as the incident occurred late in the race, and drive-throughs are not susceptible to appeal under the International Sporting Code.

McLaren had appealed the stewards' decision, which saw Hamilton drop from first to third in the Belgian results, on the grounds that their driver had relinquished the lead back to Raikkonen immediately following the incident in order to negate any advantage. They also cited the fact that on two occasions race control had told the team that Hamilton’s conduct appeared to be within the rules.

However, the Court rejected McLaren’s right to appeal, citing Paragraph 5 of Article 152 of the International Sporting Code, which states: “Penalties of driving through or stopping in pit lanes together with certain penalties specified in FIA Championship regulations where this is expressly stated, are not susceptible to appeal.”

The Court's decision means Hamilton’s championship lead remains at just a single point over Ferrari’s Felipe Massa, who inherited the victory at Spa.

The International Court of Appeal's decision in full:
At the Grand Prix of Belgium, run on 7 September 2008, and counting towards the 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship, the Stewards of the meeting imposed a drive-through penalty upon the driver of car No. 22, Lewis Hamilton, for a breach of Article 30.3 (a) of the 2008 FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations and Appendix L, Chapter 4, Article 2 (g) of the International Sporting Code.

As the drive-through penalty was imposed at the end of the race, 25 seconds were added to the driver’s elapsed race time in accordance with Article 16.3 of the FIA 2008 Formula One Sporting Regulations.

Article 152 of the International Sporting Code states that drive-through penalties are “not susceptible to appeal”.

The competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes appealed the Steward’s decision before the International Court of Appeal in a hearing in Paris on September 22nd.

Having heard the explanations of the parties the Court has concluded that the appeal is inadmissible."

From The F1 Site. -

this makes me sic!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:28 PM

'11 997.2 Carrera GTS
Hammy tells off the fiarrari lawyer.

Lewis Hamilton rounded on a Ferrari lawyer yesterday as he attempted to move a step closer to his dream of becoming Formula One world champion.

Lawyers representing McLaren, the FIA and Ferrari argued whether the appeal against a 25-second drive-through penalty imposed against Hamilton at the Belgian Grand Prix 15 days ago was admissible.

During the Paris hearing - the result is due later today - Hamilton held firm under cross-examination from Ferrari's counsel, Nigel Tozzi QC. He turned on Tozzi and said: "Are you a racing driver? No.

"I have been a racing driver since I was eight years old and I know pretty much every single manoeuvre in the book.
"We are talking about a skilled driver under intense pressure making a split-second decision which no one, not unless they are in Formula One, can comprehend."
Old 09-24-2008, 03:13 PM

2004 BMW 330ci
Originally Posted by hakaida442
Hammy tells off the fiarrari lawyer.

Lewis Hamilton rounded on a Ferrari lawyer yesterday as he attempted to move a step closer to his dream of becoming Formula One world champion.

Lawyers representing McLaren, the FIA and Ferrari argued whether the appeal against a 25-second drive-through penalty imposed against Hamilton at the Belgian Grand Prix 15 days ago was admissible.

During the Paris hearing - the result is due later today - Hamilton held firm under cross-examination from Ferrari's counsel, Nigel Tozzi QC. He turned on Tozzi and said: "Are you a racing driver? No.

"I have been a racing driver since I was eight years old and I know pretty much every single manoeuvre in the book.
"We are talking about a skilled driver under intense pressure making a split-second decision which no one, not unless they are in Formula One, can comprehend."
Technically the ICA didn't side with the stewards, the appeal was thrown out on the grounds that one can not appeal a drive thru penalty or it's equivalent. I think the ICA were within their rights to handle the appeal in this manner, to avoid a slippery slop situation. However, I think the sport has been damaged to some degree by highlighting the fact that the stewards can so greatly affect the outcome of a race, in a manner that can not even be appealed. Until the the FIA get some quality and permanent stewards, i.e. well paid ex-F1 drivers, the conspiracy theorists will run amok and people wont take F1 seriously. Speaking of conspiracy theories, shouldn't Toyota be winning right now based this, http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/22/f...yota-the-most/, and the stewards having alternative motives?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
"I have been a racing driver since I was eight years old and I know pretty much every single manoeuvre in the book.."
Well said Lewis! Except of course for:

-Knowing the red means stop... and not by using your opponent as a stopper.
-Knowing that cutting chicanes is frowned upon.
-Knowing that worn tyres should be changed before beaching yourself on the kitty litter.
-Knowing that you're not supposed to bump your former team mates from behind.
-Knowing that you're not supposed to hit the wrong button on your steering wheel when going into the final championship race.

Is this why most of the other drivers said an advantage had indeed been gained and not given back?

Get ready to see the spoiled brat choke for the second year in a row.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Nola
Well said Lewis! Except of course for:

-Knowing the red means stop... and not by using your opponent as a stopper.
-Knowing that cutting chicanes is frowned upon.
-Knowing that worn tyres should be changed before beaching yourself on the kitty litter.
-Knowing that you're not supposed to bump your former team mates from behind.
-Knowing that you're not supposed to hit the wrong button on your steering wheel when going into the final championship race.

Is this why most of the other drivers said an advantage had indeed been gained and not given back?

Get ready to see the spoiled brat choke for the second year in a row.

Plus: based on LH's logic, the arguments of MM's lawyers must be equally invalid (unless MM has lawyers who are former F1 drivers)

...Ferrari's counsel, Nigel Tozzi QC. He turned on Tozzi and said: "Are you a racing driver? No.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by 1985mb

Plus: based on LH's logic, the arguments of MM's lawyers must be equally invalid (unless MM has lawyers who are former F1 drivers)
and based on the posts above Kimi should keep the car out of the wall, they dont run as well afterward. what's the point to the two posts above. all drives have oopses, but if that is all you have to crtique him on that barrell must be pretty empty?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Belgian Gran Prix! HOLY CRAP!