Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Malaysia GP - Spoiler Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
Malaysia GP - Spoiler Warning

Jenson Button in a Mercedes powered BrawnGP car won the rain shortened Malaysia Grand Prix. Mercedes powered cars also took 5th, 7th and last place (Kovalainen once again failed to make it through the first lap without an accident).

1 22 Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes 31 Winner 1 5
2 6 Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 31 +22.7 secs 10 4
3 10 Timo Glock Toyota 31 +23.5 secs 3 3
4 9 Jarno Trulli Toyota 31 +46.1 secs 2 2.5
5 23 Rubens Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes 31 +47.3 secs 8 2
6 14 Mark Webber RBR-Renault 31 +52.3 secs 5 1.5
7 1 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 31 +60.7 secs 12 1
8 16 Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota 31 +71.5 secs 4 .5
9 3 Felipe Massa Ferrari 31 +76.9 secs 16
10 11 Sebastien Bourdais STR-Ferrari 31 15
11 7 Fernando Alonso Renault 31 9
12 17 Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota 31 11
13 8 Nelsinho Piquet Renault 31 17
14 4 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 31 7
15 15 Sebastian Vettel RBR-Renault 30 +1 Lap 13
16 12 Sebastien Buemi STR-Ferrari 30 +1 Lap 20
17 20 Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 30 +1 Lap 19
18 21 Giancarlo Fisichella Force India-Mercedes 29 +2 Laps 18
Ret 5 Robert Kubica BMW Sauber 1 +30 Laps 6
Ret 2 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 0 +31 Laps 14
Old 04-05-2009, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Code:
once again great performance by Hamilton. Too bad the race didn't continue to the end, I bet if it did Hamilton wouldve ended on top 3. He is great in rain... I feel bad for the iceman, bad choice of tires
Old 04-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Exciting race. Funny how they end up with half points. The man of the race is Glock with some awesome tyre choices. Had it gone on he would've been 2nd. Alonso had a great start and defended quite well with the heavier car. He had a strategy that would've placed him in the top 5, and lucked out that is fit almost perfectly with the rain... but going off a few corners from the pit ruined it.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
BTW, I don't know what Tasho did in his post, but you suck at the internet man!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
another great race, the red team did not score any points which makes me very happy. ham did about as good as he could, and jenson Buttons new chick is HOT!

a lot of passing and new front runners from teams I like,(well they grow on ya because you feel sorry for how bad they totally sucked the past 5-6yrs.)
Old 04-06-2009, 09:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
a car that confirms all your prejudices
I've heard that they're doing all this messing about with the times of races to appeal to a European audience. So they had the twilight race in Melbourne, even though it meant no-one could see where they were going. And then a late-afternoon race in Malaysia, even though everyone knows that there's often a torrential rainstorm late in the afternoon in Malaysia.

I think Bernie and his silly haircut need to decide whether they want to appeal solely to European audiences - in which case, having the races in Europe would be a good plan - or appeal to global audiences.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:41 AM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...
Originally Posted by hkmb
I've heard that they're doing all this messing about with the times of races to appeal to a European audience. So they had the twilight race in Melbourne, even though it meant no-one could see where they were going. And then a late-afternoon race in Malaysia, even though everyone knows that there's often a torrential rainstorm late in the afternoon in Malaysia.

I think Bernie and his silly haircut need to decide whether they want to appeal solely to European audiences - in which case, having the races in Europe would be a good plan - or appeal to global audiences.
+1

It is an insult for the local people to give priority to the European audience knowing that all GP are mostly done to the expense of the local taxpayers. From what we have been hearing lately, almost every GP has a loss that is covered by the local community.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Ferrari = In one word: hopeless. I suppose they felt they needed to gamble if they were going to mount any serious threat to podium. Kimi is good on that track, had rain come, 1st or 2nd wouldn't be hard to imagine. But it didn't so 18th or 19th was more realistic. I coudln't even find Massa.

Renault = Smart to heavy fuel Alonso, but he couldn't keep it together and lost places slipping off the circuit BEFORE 'heavy' rain. Also he was slowing the grid down in his battle with lighter cars; surprised he didn't get blue flagged. Suppose his 'ear infection' was bothering him the whole weekend, he wasn't even nearly at his best. Piquet, no comment.

McLaren = Kovalainen needs to finish races to help with car development. He'll be better than Lewis at providing feedback to engineers. Fantastic race again from the World Champion - with a slow car. A great strategy by McLaren to wait as long as possible for rain and heavy fuel their drivers, it provided Lewis with a big advantage. They were conservative, but under that short race Lewis could have been on podium! He was running P4 at one point.

Toyota = Clear favorites along with Brawn, these cars are getting so much downforce in Sector 2, that's where they are making up their time running purple lap after lap. No offense to Timo Glock, but clearly you have got to say now that it's 70% car, 30% driver.

Brawn = Again reinforcing the notion that it's 70% car, 30% driver because I didn't think neither of them drove very well, or as good as Heidfeld or Roseberg, but the car is blazingly fast. By the way, I don't think Jenson would have won on wet (had race continued).

RedBull = Poor Vettel. Mark Webber should really be doing better than 6th in that car.

Williams = What's going on with them? That car is fast. It's near the pace of the front runners, but I guess the 30% driver bit is coming into question??? Hey, I don't want to say it, but I must ..

BMW = Heidfeld drove the best in this race, a nice move off the line!! Reinforcing the driver bit (unfortunetely losing to a better car, not driver). The other BMW started smoking during the parade lap, what was that about??

Somewhat exciting race, I don't know how much KERS is helping; seemed like Alonso and Hamilton for instance are using for defending their good driving but inferior cars; whereas Kimi might be using to try and attack. Either way, it's not making much of a difference because the non-KERS cars (i.e. Brawn & Toyota) are so fast they can go the rest of the season with no KERS and win.

Tee_Tz.