Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

F1 anyone??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Nobody in the sport thought the McLaren punishment fair but rather a reflection of their relationship with the FIA under Mosely - pervert, thug, gangster. The FIA has been a screwup forever. It's probably at it's most stable at the moment under Todt. They could learn a lot from the FIM. If McLaren deserved a 100 million fine then Ferrari have deserved a similar one frequently but have always had a cosy relationship with the FIA or have simply threatened to withdraw from F1. Then Bernie has a conniption fit. They know how to play the FIA perfectly. (One bunch of hoods understanding another bunch of hoods)

Sponsors fully understand what they are in for. Only Briatore's Crashgate has had sponsors running for the hills & I suspect they were looking for a reason to get out because of the financial climate.
Indeed the old days of FIArrari and Ferrari International Assistance still lurk, though they are not as openly criticized today. Flexi wings with no penalty, all sorts of MS antics with no penalty (he park da car only got one after Alonso said he no longer considered F1 a sport!), the penalty in Monza when Massa was "impeded" by Alonso from a mile ahead, etc. I remember hating Ferrari's guts for it. For sure even today Ferrari has more influence on the application of the rule book than possibly all the others combined (the team orders slap on the hand being perhaps the most recent).

I also agree that crashgate landed at ING's doorstep as a great pretext for an exit... I know some insiders that certainly hinted that way.

About the car parking issue in Monaco... if Alonso was not posturing, and really stopped believing in F1 as a sport, then his public image is no surprise. We expect a sportsman but he behaves as a business man / politician / mafia boss (gosh what a terrible combination). He also said not long ago that appearing to be ruthless and cold helped him be more competitive, so I'm sure he plays the part a bit as well.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C55 AMG, 2010 Genesis Coupe
Well I thought we could have a discussion, but when the poster's opinion doesnt agree with yours or the grammar isnt correct because one is using a small portable device, you resort to being insulting.

Well done, I am finished with you.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Well, it looks like honest Ron is in trouble once again! I keed, I keed.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Martinsvi
Well I thought we could have a discussion, but when the poster's opinion doesnt agree with yours or the grammar isnt correct because one is using a small portable device, you resort to being insulting.

Well done, I am finished with you.
That's too bad... I have a lot more contradictions about Alonso's time in McLaren to talk about. If you're not a HS dropout you can just say so, but do try to communicate a bit clearer please (the small device excuse is good for typos... not properly spelled words used incorrectly), but I do apologize for resorting to petty insults so I take it back.

in case you want to step back into the ring, when Alonso held Hamilton up in Hungary,this is what Honest Ron said:

Asked why, then did Alonso sit ahead of Hamilton in the pit box for some ten seconds, Dennis replied: "He's under the control of his engineer. He determined when he goes. That's the sequence. And if you think that was a deliberate thing, then you can think what you want. I have given you exactly what happened."
So either Alonso is NOT the calculating sphincter that screwed his teammate, or Ron Dennis was lying. I for one have no trouble believing Ron Dennis actually lied and Alonso did try to teach Hamilton a lesson (what a way to backfire btw)... but those holding honest Ron to a higher standard usually have a pretty hard time explaining that one.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:00 AM

1988W126-300SE
WELL .... how good was Schumi getting on top of the time sheets in Barcelona?

Schumacher signals Mercedes progress

Michael Schumacher put Mercedes' fully updated chassis to the test on Friday morning at Barcelona and produced the fastest lap time of the week in the process.

On a low-fuel run he clocked a 1:21.268, roughly half a second quicker than Sergio Perez's headline time on super-soft tyres on Thursday. Ross Brawn said his team would try a low fuel run before heading to Australia and Schumacher's morning attempt appeared to be that plan coming to fruition.

However, despite being impressive, defending champion Red Bull has yet to set a lap on a comparable fuel load and tyre compound. Sebastian Vettel was at the wheel of the RB7 on Friday and showed no interest in troubling the top of the timesheets, instead completing 33 laps interspersed with long periods in the garage. And with team principal Christian Horner watching on from the pit wall he set the sixth fastest time.

Fernando Alonso was second fastest in the Ferrari as he made his first appearance at the test this week. With his arrival came a boost in spectator numbers, although the busiest day is still expected to be on Saturday. He kept his fans entertained by completing over 60 laps and setting his fastest lap - a 1:21.614 - on a short run half an hour before lunch.

Nick Heidfeld was third fastest in the Renault with a time 0.805 off Schumacher. Watching his progress from turn 10 the car looked well balanced under braking and he was able to get on the power early. However, the fuel load and tyres he was running at the time are unknown.

McLaren's return to the track after a day in the garage on Thursday was fairly unceremonious. Jenson Button didn't trouble the top of the time sheets and he completed just 38 laps as the team continued to try and untangle the issues troubling the MP4-26. It is Button's last day in the car before Australia and he will be keen to tackle a race simulation in the afternoon if the car's reliability holds out.

At the other end of the reliability spectrum was Rubens Barrichello, who pounded round the Circuit de Catalunya all morning to rack up nearly 90 laps. The team has had its problems this week, most notably with KERS on Wednesday, but with the system removed the FW33 looks very solid and pretty quick.

In the afternoon HRT is planning to run its new car, meaning it will be the first time all 12 2011 cars have been on track together.

Times

Driver Car Time Laps
1. Michael Schumacher Mercedes W02 1:21.268 46
2. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 150 1:21.614 61
3. Nick Heidfeld Renault R31 1:22.073 43
4. Rubens Barrichello Williams FW33 1:22.233 89
5. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber C30 1:22.315 41
6. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso STR6 1:22.675 32
7. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull RB7 1:23.012 33
8. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus T128 1:23.437 71
9. Adrian Sutil Force India VJM04 1:23.921 26
10. Jenson Button McLaren MP4-26 1:23.921 38