Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Transmission Fluid/ sealed torque converter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2005 | 08:53 AM

All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Replacing Transmission Fluid/ sealed torque converter

Just had the xmission fluid replaced in my 2002 S class. This transmission has a torque converter which has no drain plug. The converter holds about 4.0 litres, the transmission holds 5.2 and there is about .3 litres in the cooling lines. The technician was only able to drain out about 4 litres. He said there was no way to drain the torque converter fluid. So I now have a better mix in the transmission, but I certainly do not have a new fluid source. Does anyone know how to drain the fluid completely? Thanks. I did it at 60,000 since I don't trust the 100,000 recommendation. And what happens at 100,000? Do they replace the transmission? Or just drain out another 4 litres. Pretty frustrating not to be able to get answers. Help!!!
Old 03-23-2005 | 09:37 AM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Here's the fluid change method I use on all my cars that don't have a torque converter drain:

1. Obtain the total system capacity of the vehicle from the manufacturer. Have this amount - plus a bit more - of fluid readily available.

1. Drain pan fluid

3. Remove pan, replace filter, clean pan of all metallic dust and dirt.

4. Install pan.

5. Replace the fluid drained from the pan. Fill through dipstick.

6. Disconnect the oil cooler line from the oil cooler. Tickle the ignition to find the flow direction. Direct the stream of fluid toward a receptacle. It is better to use a clear length of hose with a shop light laying next to it so you can see when all the old fluid has left the system.

7. Start the engine, let it idle to pump out old trans fluid until you start seeing air bubbles.

8. Stop the engine. Refill transmission through fill tube with fresh fluid - same amount as pumped out, usually about 2-3 quarts.

9. When either the fluid color brightens or the total capacity has been replaced, shut the engine off and re-attach the oil cooler line. All trans fluid has now been changed, including fluid in the torque converter.

10. Button everything back up. Clean up the mess.

11. Recheck the fluid level. With the car on level ground, set the parking brake and the transmission in “Park” or “Neutral.” Let the engine idle for a few minutes. Shift the transmission through all detents, pausing momentarily at each position, before returning the lever to “Park” or “Neutral.” Check the fluid level again and check for leaks. Refill fluid so it is slightly undercharged. This way it can be properly checked and topped off after a long drive.
Old 03-23-2005 | 09:45 AM

All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Thanks for the info. That sounds like the best and maybe the only way to do it on these new torque converters that have no drain plug.