Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0442 EVAP Small Leak - Where is the beef?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 320
P0442 EVAP Small Leak - Where is the beef?

Need you help on '99 ML 320 58K miles. CEL came on with P0442 code and no other codes found. Erased it a few times but keep coming on. I've spent a couple of hours here and understood what to check. Thanks for your posts !!!

Gas cap seems very tight, so I guess it could be vac line or purge valve (may be something else - pls tell me). But where is the purge valve and what it looks like? I guess somewhere under the hood but couldn't figure out. Is it easy to replace if needed?

Any comment and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Almost a Member!

The system is setting this code because the system is not leak tight. This could be caused by numerous problems-in this situation it's a better idea to take it to a dealer. They can moniter the tank pressure sensor and see exactly how much it's leaking down. Then they will crimp off hoses/replace components to see exactly where it's leaking. It may not be a component-it might be a seal or a line. In most cases the purge valve will not cause a minor leak-they will cause a major leak. If you want to replace it anyway-look for the throttle linkage under the hood-the plastic bracket that the throttle linkage is on-the purge valve is connected to this with a rubber bushing. The canister shutoff valve is above the spare tire under the car.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:03 PM

ML 320
If that's the case, I think this is not something that I can do as 1-2-3 diy. Ha! When I visited my MB dealer last time for something else (CEL started around that week), I asked about the code and they told me keep eyes on how it goes for a while and if the code keeps coming up, then I will need to replace PV. I think your advice is more reasonable and agree to nail down the leak first....
Anyway, I will try to find PV. Thanks.

Last edited by BullSae; 03-29-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:33 PM

1998 ML 320
Exclamation P0442/445 P0700 Code

Originally Posted by mercedestech1
The system is setting this code because the system is not leak tight. This could be caused by numerous problems-in this situation it's a better idea to take it to a dealer. They can moniter the tank pressure sensor and see exactly how much it's leaking down. Then they will crimp off hoses/replace components to see exactly where it's leaking. It may not be a component-it might be a seal or a line. In most cases the purge valve will not cause a minor leak-they will cause a major leak. If you want to replace it anyway-look for the throttle linkage under the hood-the plastic bracket that the throttle linkage is on-the purge valve is connected to this with a rubber bushing. The canister shutoff valve is above the spare tire under the car.
Hi I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation. About 3 months ago I replaced my fuel pump including the fuel feed line. I now have this code saying there is a leak. I checked the access panel and saw a little bit of gas. I fixed the lines and drove it a few miles and saw no fuel. But still the code. The fuel loop line connector was cracked a little but seemed to hold tight and I saw no leaking. I now have this code should I replace the other 2 lines? I have ordered them to see if that resolves the problem. Any other ideas as to what it might be?

Secondly-I have a P0700 code also. I know this is a generic transmission code but was interested if anyone else had the code and how they corrected it. I am trying to resolve the P0442 on my own. I have an appointment at a local shop known for Mercedes mechanics, I am taking it to them this weekend to have it inspected. But would like to know what I might be looking at first.

Thanks,