Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please, help with cold start problem (1993 190e 2.6)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please, help with cold start problem (1993 190e 2.6)

I have a 93 190e 2.6 that has a real hard time starting when it's cold. You have to hold the gas down when you crank it and let off the gas for it to try and kick. I was told the cold start system wasn't functioning.

What I've checked so far is the voltage at the cold start valve when cranking the engine. It's reading about 2-3 volts for a few seconds when the engine is trying to get started and drops down to 0 volts after a few seconds.

I have replaced the cold start valve with a used one that is suppose to work. I have also replaced the fuel injection thermo sensor (picture: http:www.belletc.net/temp.jpg) because I was told this might be the culprit. But the problem with this sensor is that it has no directional groove or specific way to plug it in. So it will plug in any of four ways. And although the plug from the harness is numbered, the original sensor had no numbering on it, and the new unit has a number two stamped on the side, but it's exactly in between two pins. So if that's suppose to tell me where pin two is suppose to plug in there's no way of knowing.

So I tried plugging it in 4 different ways, but the result is the same... I always get 2-3 volts at the cold start valve. So it leads me to believe that this sensor has nothing to do with the cold start valve.

So my questions are; which is the right way to plug this sensor in? And where should I look now for my cold start problem?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here. I'm pulling my hair out tring to figure this thing out and spending money on unneccasary parts in the proccess. Two things I don't like doing
Old 04-07-2005, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
First of all if you have narrowed it down to that part and you are certain, replace it with a NEW part. You have no idea if it really works or not and your knowledge is a bit weak also. Bad combination!! Why not just take it to a good shop that knows the car and get it fixed
Old 04-07-2005, 09:09 PM

You are probably right...

at this point I should just take it to a shop. I was trying to aviod that by getting some help from the Mercedes community online and doing it myself. I thought there would be enough information online, and with the help of the community, I could do it myself for less that taking it to a shop. I guess I'll have to resort to paying someone to do it for me.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:15 PM

1989 190e
my 190e had the same problem. I pulled the plastic cover from behind the battery. there is a relay with a clear cover under there there are 2 10 amp fuses inside. one was blown. I replaced it and it starts great in 15 degree temps. It also has more power in hard acceleration. i believe these fuses control the fuel enrichment injector. It was a super simple fix and I am very pleased. I got the idea from another poster on this site. That guy ROCKS!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 PM

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.6
Thank you so much your forum just fixed my 93 Mercedes benz 190E like 15 min ago i done bought a cold start valve that i will save for a later use but now my car has 10x more acceleration and starts on a dime. TO EVERY ONE who has a 190 E check that fuse behind the battery. Just pull the battery and the plastic cover and there is a box with a clear cover pop that cover up and change that 10 amp fuse very easy and cheap!!!!!!