Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment after control arm bushing change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
Alignment after control arm bushing change

Can't get a straight answer from the dealership and wanted to ask if there is a good possibility that my front end alignment will be off after the replacement of my control arm bushings.

The dealership is replacing these bushings under warranty but is wanting to charge me for the alignment. Don't see why this would not be covered under the warranty but the SA is stating this is Mercedes "policy" not to cover the alignment.

Also can only the dealer do the alignment ? (the cars an '02 C class)

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by respdoc; 04-12-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 C43 AMG & 2008 Corvette 1LT Z51 LS3
On the W203's the Front Thrust Arm Bushings break quite a bit, if these are the bushings that are being replaced, then a wheel alignment is not needed. If the lower control arm is being replaced, then an alignment should be performed and that should be covered under warranty.

It is better to have your car aligned by the dealer, however any shop should be able to perform a wheel alignment on that car. The one thing about an outside shop doing the alignment is that if your car needs to have the caster or camber adjusted, the outside shop will not be able to adjust that. You would need to get alignment correction bolts from the dealer.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
Originally Posted by Mercedes Tuner
On the W203's the Front Thrust Arm Bushings break quite a bit, if these are the bushings that are being replaced, then a wheel alignment is not needed. If the lower control arm is being replaced, then an alignment should be performed and that should be covered under warranty.

It is better to have your car aligned by the dealer, however any shop should be able to perform a wheel alignment on that car. The one thing about an outside shop doing the alignment is that if your car needs to have the caster or camber adjusted, the outside shop will not be able to adjust that. You would need to get alignment correction bolts from the dealer.

Appreciate the info, Thanks,…
Old 04-14-2005, 11:52 PM
Almost a Member!

C230
I had to pay also

I had the same warranty work completed during my last visit. I was surprised too when I had to pay for the alignment. I always was told whenever you had any work done to the front suspension components that it was a good idea to have the alignment check. Oh well! The car feels much better with the new bushings. It feels tight again, so I guess the $100 for the alignment was a decent trade (that price was a special the dealer was having. I am sure that is not the regular price).

Regards,
John Cappuccilli
Old 04-17-2005, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
There was a bulletin recently that said an alignment was not required when replacing the thrust arm bushings because of "close production tolearances"

The funny thing is, if the factory says you don't need it, why would the dealer try to sell it to you? Unless it was slow at the dealer that week?

About the alignment, what was stated about an independant being able to do it is correct. However, they wouldn't have the exact factory specs for your car. The only way to do arrive at specs for your car is to measure the ride height (at the control arms in the front and axle shafts at the rear) and then the specs are calculated, custom for your car. In other words, there is a big chart that that is used to arrive at your specs.

One of the reasons this is done in this manner is that rear ride height has an effect on the front caster. The lower the ride height, the greater the caster. So, in other words you are really getting a custom alignment when you have the dealer do it.

I'm sure there are independants who can align your car just fine, but if you really want it to be exact, have the dealer do it.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by mbbodytech
The funny thing is, if the factory says you don't need it, why would the dealer try to sell it to you? Unless it was slow at the dealer that week.
Why would the dealer not try to sell it. Its money in their pocket if they can sell it. Even if MB says its not covered under warranty, the dealer will always try to sell it! Its money lost if they don't try.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:46 AM

'04 Porsche GT3, '11 BMW 335d, '12 VW JSW TDI
Originally Posted by mbbodytech
...About the alignment, what was stated about an independant being able to do it is correct. However, they wouldn't have the exact factory specs for your car. The only way to do arrive at specs for your car is to measure the ride height (at the control arms in the front and axle shafts at the rear) and then the specs are calculated, custom for your car. In other words, there is a big chart that that is used to arrive at your specs.

One of the reasons this is done in this manner is that rear ride height has an effect on the front caster. The lower the ride height, the greater the caster. So, in other words you are really getting a custom alignment when you have the dealer do it.

I'm sure there are independants who can align your car just fine, but if you really want it to be exact, have the dealer do it.
I'd like to have an outside shop (the one who works on my GT3, and who worked on my 911 Turbo AWD) inspect and align my ML430. Are there not basic specs?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I'd like to have an outside shop (the one who works on my GT3, and who worked on my 911 Turbo AWD) inspect and align my ML430. Are there not basic specs?
There are basic specs for an ML55, however there is one adjustment on ML's that most independent shops may not be able to read and adjust correctly, and that is Rear Caster. Rear caster on ML's is a static measurement done by using a Special Adapter and the Romess Guage, which measures angles in degrees. The Romess Guage is also used with other special adapters to measure the ride heigh of the vehicle on the front lower control arms and rear axle shafts.

Its been a while since I've aligned an ML55, but the specs should be about:

Front Ride Height: 4.5*
Front Camber: -0.35'
Front Caster: 6*30'
Front Toe: 0.12' or 0.24' Total Toe in

Rear Ride Height: 3.5*
Rear Camber: -0.35'
Rear Caster: -8.5*
Rear Toe: 0.12' or 0.24' Total Toe in