Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which way to turn the oil filter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 02:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
which way to turn the oil filter?

I have a 96' E320. I am doing an oil change myself for the first time. I'm having difficulty trying to turn the oil filter cap off and it won't turn. Which direction does it suppose to turn, counterclockwise? Since the cap marked with an arrow showing clockwise with 2mm marking on it.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Ccw

Hi, Vince.
It's a normal thread pattern, so it turns left. However, it can be on there pretty tight (people tend to overtighten too much), so be sure you have the proper wrench; don't try one of those universal band or compression-type wrenches or you're likely to damage the cover/cap.

Good luck and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Old 04-29-2005, 02:23 PM

03 E500
Originally Posted by BenzVince
I have a 96' E320. I am doing an oil change myself for the first time. I'm having difficulty trying to turn the oil filter cap off and it won't turn. Which direction does it suppose to turn, counterclockwise? Since the cap marked with an arrow showing clockwise with 2mm marking on it.
Recently changed my oil filter, it's counter clockwise to loosen. I would buy a filter wrench at local store for that as it is almost impossible to turn it by hand.

It's also good idea to change it when engine is cold or you'll need a lot of towls to catch the oil runoffs as you change the filter out.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
I believe if (after startng the crankcase drain) you only loosen the oil filter cap, most of the oil will drain from the filter before removing it completely, thus significantly minimizing the mess.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:30 PM

C32AMG
Originally Posted by Kestas
I believe if (after startng the crankcase drain) you only loosen the oil filter cap, most of the oil will drain from the filter before removing it completely, thus significantly minimizing the mess.
I loosen the oil filter cover first,giving it more time to drain.
After sucking the crankcase out, the filter hasn't as much oil left in it to droll when removed. You still need to have a wad of paper towels handy.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Talking

Originally Posted by BenzVince
As my wife once said "Righty Tighty-Lefty Loosey"