Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranmission fluid question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430
Tranmission fluid question?

How often should I have the transmission fluid changed in a 2000 clk 430 or in a benz for that matter?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
I would go no longer than 30k - max. I you drive it harder - change it sooner.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Lots of opinions on this. What does the owner's manual say for your model/year? Mine says don't change it at all. Modern lubes definitely last longer and protect better so I tend to believe the manufacturer. If you abuse your car then I would shorten their recommendations on maintenance intervals.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Lots of opinions on this. What does the owner's manual say for your model/year? Mine says don't change it at all. Modern lubes definitely last longer and protect better so I tend to believe the manufacturer.
I don't believe the manufacturer.In my case the manual says don't service until 100k.I f that's the case have the factory put their money where their recommended service intervals are - do they warranty the tranny till 100k ? The answer is no - so if you wait till then you're probably gonna have problems.Use your head - you have a high quality vehicle-treat it like one and do the maintenance and don't be a G&G'er ( gas & go'er ).
Old 06-03-2005, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
See what I mean Who are you going to believe? An engineer who designed it or someone who has no valid credentials other than being an owner? The only argument I ever hear from the 'change it early and often' crowd is "it can't hurt". Nothing but a wast of time, money, and resources. It's your choice. One fact you can bank on is the more unecessary maintenance done on a vehicle the more failures you will see...ask any manufacturer.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See what I mean Who are you going to believe? An engineer who designed it or someone who has no valid credentials other than being an owner? The only argument I ever hear from the 'change it early and often' crowd is "it can't hurt". Nothing but a wast of time, money, and resources. It's your choice. One fact you can bank on is the more unecessary maintenance done on a vehicle the more failures you will see...ask any manufacturer.
I don't want to turn this into a long winded debate.When I purchased my C43 in Feb. I took it to my independent Benz mechanic to look it over ( 53k miles ). His credentials are - he worked in the Mercedes plant in Stuggart , HAS AN ENGINEERING DEGREE , has been repairing Mercedes Benz vehicles for over 30 years.When he went over my car he serviced the transmission and showed me the fluid - black as coffee he said "I AM SO TIRED OF THIS , THE FACTORY SAYS DON'T SERVICE THIS TRANSMISSION UNTIL 100K - I AM GOING TO TAKES PICTURES OF THIS AND TAKE THEM BACK TO STUGGART WHEN I GO BACK FOR FACTORY TRAINING." Now how am I suppossed to argue with that.The engineer that builds it doesn't have to : # 1 service it , # pay for it when it fails , and #3 hear your complaints when you get the bill for its replacement. Like the fram oil filter commercial , you can pay me now ( for the tranny service ) or you can pay me later ( for the replacement ) .BTW here is his web site : www.onlybenz.com
Old 06-03-2005, 08:03 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Thumbs up Yes and no

It's true that modern lubes last longer.

It's also true that the parts in mechanical contrivances -- even those bathed in modern lubes -- are still moving parts, and moving parts still shear small metal particles. And the clutch plates in automatic transmissions shed material as well.

It's further true that transmission filters and screens get clogged up by such particles.

And it's still true that moisture can condense into an automatic transmission and degrade the performance and protection of any lube, modern or otherwise.

In conclusion...

The great thing about automotive ownership is that each can do as he or she decides. Some folks take meticulous care of their cars and still have failures while others drive them into the ground with hardly a whimper. Still others see failures that are simply due to defects, even on cars of high repute -- heck there's a guy on here with a new CLK that the tranny blew below 3K miles!

For me and my 2001 E320, someplace around 75K we will have a transmission flush and fill with a new filter/screen. Some might call that wasteful and others might call it a wise choice. I call it "preventative maintenance" and that mileage marker seems to be a reasonable consensus around the MBZ forums. And it makes sense to me, too. As a former mechanic, I've seen a lot and done a lot, and I wouldn't care if the transmission had a lifetime warranty with no regularly-scheduled maintenance, I would still change the fluid and filter periodically.

Take care, folks, and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Old 06-03-2005, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

......good points Greg..........happy motoring......
Old 06-03-2005, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Like I said..."It's your choice". Change it every week if it will make you feel better. But to advise someone to change transmission fluid every 30K without knowing their driving habits or conditions is fodder for flames.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Ditto to Greg's advice.

There is no such thing as lifetime fluid fill. This type of verbage is used by the manufacturer to convince people what a good buy their vehicle is, purporting that little money needs to be spent on maintaining the car.

If you can convince an owner that he/she doesn't have to go back to the dealer every 30K for extended service, then you may have clinched a sale.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL000
Originally Posted by Kestas
Ditto to Greg's advice.

There is no such thing as lifetime fluid fill. This type of verbage is used by the manufacturer to convince people what a good buy their vehicle is, purporting that little money needs to be spent on maintaining the car.

If you can convince an owner that he/she doesn't have to go back to the dealer every 30K for extended service, then you may have clinched a sale.
The funniest thing ever...
Manual tranys never change oil,diff never change oil.
If auto trany is not abused will last at least 100k if not 200k.If the fluid is black at 45k changing it will not help the clutches...
Sometimes changing the fluid makes it worse.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:29 AM

SL000
Like I said..."It's your choice". Change it every week if it will make you feel better. But to advise someone to change transmission fluid every 30K without knowing their driving habits or conditions is fodder for flames.
You are the man!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:21 AM

'03 E39 530I
says who?

Originally Posted by TheV12pwr
Old 06-07-2005, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you read the entire comment : I would go no longer than 30k - max. If you drive it harder - change it sooner.I covered the driving habit portion.Read 1st before jumpimg to comment.

Last edited by AMGC43; 06-07-2005 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
As stated previously, it all depends on driving habits. If you do mostly city driving then changing it 30-50K makes sense. A lot more wear on teh transmission. If all you do if highway, then every 100K makes sense. I just had my fluid replaced in my E300 after 43,000 from previous change, about 50% city and 50% highway and the fluid wasn't apparently too bad, but it was clean either. I had the fluid replaced as my transmission has developed a strange noise that is intermittent, but that is nor here nor there. If you care for the vehicle and wish to use it for many miles to come, analyizing your habits and checking the fluid should become a habor like changing you engine oil. The fluid will get darker from the graphite in the clutch packs as wear increases. Top ensure smoother shifting and maintainence free operation, keeping the fluid fresh and clean is the best option period. A transmission is far more complex a structure than an engine, it needs to be treated as such....
Old 06-07-2005, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by michakaveli
As stated previously, it all depends on driving habits. If you do mostly city driving then changing it 30-50K makes sense. A lot more wear on teh transmission. If all you do if highway, then every 100K makes sense. I just had my fluid replaced in my E300 after 43,000 from previous change, about 50% city and 50% highway and the fluid wasn't apparently too bad, but it was clean either. I had the fluid replaced as my transmission has developed a strange noise that is intermittent, but that is nor here nor there. If you care for the vehicle and wish to use it for many miles to come, analyizing your habits and checking the fluid should become a habor like changing you engine oil. The fluid will get darker from the graphite in the clutch packs as wear increases. Top ensure smoother shifting and maintainence free operation, keeping the fluid fresh and clean is the best option period. A transmission is far more complex a structure than an engine, it needs to be treated as such....
..........well stated , I agree.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:58 AM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Originally Posted by TheV12pwr
The funniest thing ever...
If auto trany is not abused will last at least 100k if not 200k.If the fluid is black at 45k changing it will not help the clutches...
Sometimes changing the fluid makes it worse.
Just because a few people report transmission failure after changing the fluid is no reason to shy away from transmission fluid maintenance.

I strongly suspect these people don't report the whole story... where their transmission was neglected, started giving problems, then changed the fluid hoping the problem will go away... only to have the transmission finally fail afterward. Then they irresponsibly report that it was the result of fluid change, and not from lack of maintenance. It's kinda like listening to people who won't wear their safety belt because they hear of people being thrown clear from a vehicle during a rollover accident. (It happens 10% of the time... the other 90% get killed). Changing fluid on a timely basis is the key to transmission longevity.

Your other advice is shaky as well.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Anyone added an additional transmission radiator?

I am curious to the temperature of the fluid while it is circulating through the bottom of the radiator, getting probably heated by the coolant instead of cooled?

In another thread I have read on another website a good temperature to aim for to ensure long life of the transmission of about 150 degrees farenheit.
Anyother input on this additional external radiator. Obviously the input to this radiator would come form the output of the engine/trans radiator and the output would be straight back to the tranny.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:13 PM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
This was posted on the BOBISTHEOILGUY site:

Temp...Life
220.....25K (common operating temp for most vehicles)

An external cooler does help if you're driving in very hot conditions or towing.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:29 PM

SL000
Originally Posted by straightSIX
says who?
Read books,not only forums!
I will not get into details...
Old 06-07-2005, 10:38 PM

SL000
Originally Posted by Kestas
Just because a few people report transmission failure after changing the fluid is no reason to shy away from transmission fluid maintenance.

I strongly suspect these people don't report the whole story... where their transmission was neglected, started giving problems, then changed the fluid hoping the problem will go away... only to have the transmission finally fail afterward. Then they irresponsibly report that it was the result of fluid change, and not from lack of maintenance. It's kinda like listening to people who won't wear their safety belt because they hear of people being thrown clear from a vehicle during a rollover accident. (It happens 10% of the time... the other 90% get killed). Changing fluid on a timely basis is the key to transmission longevity.

Your other advice is shaky as well.
And you made my point!!!
If trany is about to fail the change of trany fluid will not help.
If there is no problem with the trany/not abused,sliping/ there is no reason to change the fluid,in other words 'no maintance needed'...changing the fluid every week will not extend the 'life' of it!
Get it?

And further more to another coment/reply... the graphite from the clutches is filtered by the filter,that's what the filter is for.Designed to handle all the way ...till no clutch left

Last edited by TheV12pwr; 06-07-2005 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Did you get an answer you believe?

So wyncec...like I said, lots of opinions. What does your owners manual say?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:33 PM

Same questions again and again and again...

There has never been any posting on this topic from someone who REALLY knows how those transmissions work. Maybe they are not that stupid to spend all their time on a forum?

I have only read postings from people who pretend to know all about them (other threads, same topic), but talking about parts who are not even in it!
(E.g. brake bands and so on...)
I also read about slipping...but from the moment on that those transmissions tend to slip, they go into limp mode. In limp mode shifting hydraulic pressure is maximum to protect clutch packs. The only slipping than can occur is "controlled" slipping, without excessive wear.
Or are there people here who have got totally worn clutch packs without any other parts broken? I seriously doubt it!

I do not know in the US, but in Europe maintenance prescriptions have changed. Only certain models, not all, should have oil and filter change only the first 60 000 kms, then never again (in case of certain repairs not included, only if everything goes well).

I think I know more about these transmissions than average and I think this system (only first 60000 kms) is good and I also can understand why.

So...just follow maintenance prescriptions (if they have already changed in the US too, dealers should have new service sheets).

But stories about independant mechanics "going back on factory training in Stuttgart..."????
And he may have 30 years of experience, those transmissions are not that old and many things have changed since then.

But...I have two problems:
1. I am not English-speaking, so when it becomes highly technical, I cannot express myself in English.
2. I am getting sick of this forum and will stay away for a while (again).
Old 06-15-2005, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by patrick
1. I am not English-speaking, so when it becomes highly technical, I cannot express myself in English.
2. I am getting sick of this forum and will stay away for a while (again).
You express yourself well on this forum. Too bad you are burned out with it. I appreciate the technical knowledge and expertise you share.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:43 PM

2000 BMW M5
The fluid in a 722.6 tranny does not need to be changed at any regular intervals. I would change maybe every 100k miles. The tech that said he saw fluid that was black as coffee and is pissed that MB says do not change is right in some sense. Drain your engine oil at 3k, is it dark? Probably, doesn't mean it needs changing though. The 722.6 tranny has been very reliable on vehicles over 100k miles without fluid changes. IMHO as a MB tech, it is a complete waste of money to change your trans fluid as a maintainence item before 100k.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tranmission fluid question?