Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if your car does these things .. check/change the motor mounts!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 02:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
if your car does these things .. check/change the motor mounts!

Ya know...

- I thought my suspension was shot ... I was getting horrible (right rear) wheel hop on take-off... I mean =BAD= hop.

- I thought my steering box was "going", as I heard and felt a real bad clunk clunk clunk through the steering wheel if I'd have to brake on top of big bumps or train tracks...

- the car was pulling hard, inconsistently, usually to the right but not always...

- I was getting a violent shake in the car between 60 - 70mph

Before my car's engine swap was done I took a ride in a friend's car that had the same thing done before me ... it felt =solid= over bumps, like mine used to, but it had been so long that I'd forgotten it can/should feel like that.

The new engine went in with E55 motor mounts and guess what ... Yes, all those symptoms are GONE! (well, there's still a very slight shake at some speeds, but the amount you'd expect with slightly bent rims ... there's no longer a violent harmonic resonance set up from the shake at a particular speed range :wink: )

...thought this might help.